Salaries for PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking through FP residency program one thing stands out - MD FP programs offer higher benefits than DO FP programs. The average salary for DO progs seems to be 32k with 2 weeks vacation. MD programs seem to average 39k with 3 weeks off and many with 4 weeks off.

I suspect that MD and DO programs are paid the same by the government - about 100k a resident. Needless to say I won't be looking at DO programs.

Makes me realize that DO programs are more about business than anything else - everyone seen the post "What do osteopathic administrators earn?"

Members don't see this ad.

I cant think of the program names of the top of my head but I've looked at programs affiliated with NYCOMEC, as well as a quick search online and the average salary for a DO FP resident was 40K and above. I dont know what programs you were looking at but whichever one it was don't apply there, fine. But dont count out other DO programs. Needless to say I wont be picking a residency based on salary. That is at the bottom of a very long list of criteria one should look for in a residency program.

PS what do you think MD administrators earn? It sure as sugar isn't bird seed.

Many of my DO colleagues' salary as a OGME-1 is around 32k... I am but a few miles down and pull 37.6k.

I suspect the higher numbers for the FPs in NY is due ot the fact that NYC has a high cost of living... MD PGY1s are also paid more (some 45k+).

Q, DO