Salaries for Subspeciality Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calmike2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone give me a loose idea of what sort of salaries physicians get while doing a fellowship in a subspecialty? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

...Not much more than during your residency, unfortunately. You are a "PGY 4..., etc" and basically the step up is a few thousand a year more than your general internal medicine salary. Some programs may be slightly more than others, ie, private hospitals sometimes pay more than, say county facilities. The way that you can make up for the lack of green during fellowship is moonlighting- as a subspecialty fellow, at least in my geographical region, you are sought after for not only moonlighting ops in your subspecialty, but in general internal medicine.

thanks pepsitwist. perhaps you could enlighten me... when people talk about moonlighting, does that mean that after a 10 or 12 hour shift they turn around and work all night at another hospital before coming into work the next morning?? that doesnt sound sustainable...

In most instances, you make your own moonlighting schedule. So for instance, if your fellowship gives you two weekends a month off call, you would plan a moonlighting gig for one of the other weekends, etc. Most fellowship programs turn a blind eye to fellows moonlighting, if you are able to perform all of the duties of your fellowship without interference. It would not be wise to work all day at fellowship, then moonlight at night and then work again the next morning- I personally think you have to be very responsible about your limits and not push yourself to the edge with moonlighting. All in all, I have heard (I am not a fellow yet, but will be starting next July 1) in most cases you can find times to moonlight where it will not interfere with your fellowship experience.