Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that a doctor will make ~$100,000/ yr in the field, so does it really make a difference where you go? I'm not talking about Harvard vs. Carribean schools or anything....but say #30 from #49??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not between 30 and 49, but I'm sure between top ten and 40+. Then again, depends on residency placement, research done, grades/performance, and lots of oterh factors. And physicians average higher than $100,000!

The questions are more, "did you get a residency in the field you wanted?" and "Where are you willing to go?" Regardless of your alma mater, if you are willing to go to the desperate middle of nowhere to practice, you will probably make far more than the prestigiously educated academic slaving in a junior faculty position at big city university. Each path has merits and is needed.

twicetenturns said:
The questions are more, "did you get a residency in the field you wanted?" and "Where are you willing to go?" Regardless of your alma mater, if you are willing to go to the desperate middle of nowhere to practice, you will probably make far more than the prestigiously educated academic slaving in a junior faculty position at big city university. Each path has merits and is needed.

This is absolutely true. Also, on AVERAGE, lets say a person went to their state school undergrad, then their state school for med school. They'll be making a lot of money in private practice with very little debt. Also, after talking to MD student friends at Harvard (some were MD/PhD), they say that since many Harvard grads actually go to top residencies (which ironically pay less) and end up in research and academia (either clinical work in teaching hospital or a LOT of lab work), those who graduate from state schools actually have higher salaries due to the places they work in. I mean, if you think about it, the purpose of the big schools like Hopkins and Harvard is to produce researchers (that's what they want in their applicants the most and it's the researchers who are 'leaders') but researchers just don't make as much as those practicing privately.

Mephisto said:
This is absolutely true. Also, on AVERAGE, lets say a person went to their state school undergrad, then their state school for med school. They'll be making a lot of money in private practice with very little debt. Also, after talking to MD student friends at Harvard (some were MD/PhD), they say that since many Harvard grads actually go to top residencies (which ironically pay less) and end up in research and academia (either clinical work in teaching hospital or a LOT of lab work), those who graduate from state schools actually have higher salaries due to the places they work in. I mean, if you think about it, the purpose of the big schools like Hopkins and Harvard is to produce researchers (that's what they want in their applicants the most and it's the researchers who are 'leaders') but researchers just don't make as much as those practicing privately.

Exactly...I'm sure name-recognition and prestige carry a certain weight in medicine as they do in just about all walks of life, but there are DO neurosurgeons making half a million dollars a year, and there are surely pediatricians from top ten schools making less than 200K. No matter where you go, bust your butt, ace your boards, and depending on which specialty you choose, the rest will take care of itself.

Note: As someone applying for the incoming class of 2009, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sounds reasonable to me.

That what I was wondering. I go to a very large state school now (40000+) and I am going to another medical school in state (~20,000) with in-state fees.

I can't understand why someone would want to go out of state to say....Ohio State...and pay $45,000/year just for tuition. I'd rather go to an in-state school and walk out with 1/2 the debt and make the same amount of money.

FYI, my school doesn't appear in US news and world report.

AStudent said:
That what I was wondering. I go to a very large state school now (40000+) and I am going to another medical school in state (~20,000) with in-state fees.

I can't understand why someone would want to go out of state to say....Ohio State...and pay $45,000/year just for tuition. I'd rather go to an in-state school and walk out with 1/2 the debt and make the same amount of money.

FYI, my school doesn't appear in US news and world report.

You may find that you had much more control in picking where you get in at the college level than at med school. In some states, doing the in-state thing is pretty competitive.

Some people also don't have state med schools. Hell, DC isn't even a state.

Keep in mind that the higher ranked school often have more money to offer. Mainly due to the research grants that will want you on their team. Thus I suggest applying to many schools and seeing what the $$ aid you can get. You can always go practice and make lots of money.

AStudent said:
So I know that a doctor will make ~$100,000/ yr in the field, so does it really make a difference where you go? I'm not talking about Harvard vs. Carribean schools or anything....but say #30 from #49??

lol

I haven't seen any statistics which show that individuals who go to very prestigious medical schools make more money than those who go to state schools. I would, however, have to agree with those above who said that individuals who opt for their state school and pay instate tuition will have a greater net income than those who go to a private school and take out over 200k in loans.
I just wanted to post this site from the US Department of Labor which lists median total income of physicians in different specialties. Some of the information is kind of like, DUH, but it's a good site for those considering a career in medicine.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm