Salary a Pharmacist VS a nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
She says nurses are in demand, and they don't take as long to graduate. Also, I won't be in a ton of debt if I went into nursing. She tried to bribe me to go to nursing school by offering to pay all my tuition and fees for two years. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I want to help people, but I can't deal with stuff that they see.

My mom is very centered on money, but in the shortest amount of time without having to worry about debt. Nurses get paid well here, and you don't have to worry about debt here because the hospitals are in so much need that they're willing to reimburse you for tuition. However, I know I wouldn't be able to accomplish what I want to with just a nursing degree. Even with being a PA, CRNA, NP you have to work under the supervision of a doctor, and I plan to be in charge of something or own a business.

I never knew they made that much? :confused: I thought they made about $40-50k? I use to think about being a dentist. That didn't work out either. :p

Dental Asistant make 40K but a dental hygienist make 80K+ but both jobs are very gross....however if you are looking for no debt those jobs will be a good deal.

I didn't know nurses get reimerbursed from hosptials!!!! this just shows how nasty the profession is...good pay+free tuition and there is still a shortage as its too nasty and not worth the time. :laugh: I don't think I will clean bed pans for 500K a year. sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental Asistant make 40K but a dental hygienist make 80K+ but both jobs are very gross....however if you are looking for no debt those jobs will be a good deal.

I didn't know nurses get reimerbursed from hosptials!!!! this just shows how nasty the profession is...good pay+free tuition and there is still a shortage as its too nasty and not worth the time. :laugh: I don't think I will clean bed pans for 500K a year. sorry.

Yes, many hospitals pay nurses' tuition to get a Master's degree (MSN) in nursing or become a NP; given they work for that hospital after they graduate.

I also heard benefits for nurses are really good and they have the option of working for multiple hospitals. This means they're able to collect pensions from multiple hospitals when they retire. Sounds really tempting, but my passion is in pharmacy so I'm going to pharmacy school.

Yes, many hospitals pay nurses' tuition to get a Master's degree (MSN) in nursing or become a NP; given they work for that hospital after they graduate.

I also heard benefits for nurses are really good and they have the option of working for multiple hospitals. This means they're able to collect pensions from multiple hospitals when they retire. Sounds really tempting, but my passion is in pharmacy so I'm going to pharmacy school.

I'm not sure you can work for that many hospitals. My mom can't even cut her hours down below 50/wk working at just 1 hospital.

You can work for an agency, which will send you to work temp for multiple hospitals. But in that case, I think you are getting benefits from the agency rather than from the hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad roomie graduated in '06 with a BA, took a year off to save up money, started at Thomas Jefferson in May 2007 and finished an accelerated nursing program as an RN in Aug 2008. It as paid for by the school, she has to work at the hospita there for 2 years or else pay it back. She works 3 12hr shifts a week, has 4 days off and makes ~$50,000/year. So, apparently you can get degree in a year and work under 40 hours a week...

My undergrad roomie graduated in '06 with a BA, took a year off to save up money, started at Thomas Jefferson in May 2007 and finished an accelerated nursing program as an RN in Aug 2008. It as paid for by the school, she has to work at the hospita there for 2 years or else pay it back. She works 3 12hr shifts a week, has 4 days off and makes ~$50,000/year. So, apparently you can get degree in a year and work under 40 hours a week...

The school I graduated from had an accelerated BSN program. First two years are for prereqs, then you get 1 year of the actual nursing classes. If you do two years, you can get a BSN/MSN.

If I had to do it again, I would have graduated with a 4 year degree in a health field then went on to pharmacy school. Most likely laboratory sciences or radiology technologist, so I can save some monies. I know the laboratory technologist here make about 40k a year. I could live like a queen where I live as I don't have kids or anyone else to be responsible for and cost of living is low here. :p

Nurse's salary depends on where you live. If you live in a place where there is a great need, it is possible to start close to $30/hr. If you live in a place where there is a nursing school, with only two major hospital networks, and is a city where many people stay after going to school because it's a great place to live, then you'll be lucky to be offered anything for $20/hr as a new grad. It is possible to make $50,000 a year as a new grad depending on where you are. Some nurses can make $50-$60/hr if they are travelling nurses or agency nurses. Again, this depends on where you are in the country. And most travel agencies require that you have a minimum of two years of experience.

There are programs in different hospitals where they will train you and reimburse your tuition as long as you work for them for two years or so. Some hospitals have tuition reimbursement for any employee as long as you work for them full time and it's not limited to nursing.

Many nurses go through nursing school not because it's easy or because it pays well for the amount of school you have to go through, but because they have a passion for the profession. It is very hard work. It is emotionally and physically exhausting, but nurses who love their work go back to this type of work because there is nothing else they would rather do.

And nurses don't just "clean bed pans" every day. :) Helping patients who cannot help themselves to go to the bathroom is part of this job. It takes a very special person to look past this kind of "dirty job" and look at you as a person who needs care. And not everyone can do that. So let's not stereotype each other. If you really care about your profession, I doubt you would feel very good if anyone calls you a pill counter.

Whether you are a pharmacist, a nurse, or a doctor, we all have to work together. If you come into the health care profession because you want to help others and care for patients, then we are all working towards the same goal.

I have a few friends who make $130,000 a year as a retail pharmacist in NYC, just graduated last year. RN's start off around 50-60K, but if they specialize they can make up to 150K (anesthesiology nursing)

If the only way you can categorize nursing is to "clean bed pans," I think it is quite a good thing that you aren't interested in the profession...because likely, it isn't interested in you either. I have many nurses in my family, all masters and doctorally prepared who would beg to differ with your categorization. Just remember, nursing and pharmacy work side-by-side in the hospital and are part of a collaborative team. Nurses bear the brunt of responsibility in the administration, management and planning for the daily care of their patients and in the end - it's their license on the line when something goes wrong.

Learning professional respect and courtesy are paramount. Your future as a pharmacist will be improved if you understand the roles of your colleagues and don't refer to nurses as bed pan cleaners (which is actually most likely done by the assistants). One day, we'll all need some help with a bed pan...I should consider us lucky to have a compassionate nurse by our side who helps us through. It is not a "nasty profession," but a calling to which many are drawn by their desire to serve others and provide love/caring when they need it most. You need to re-evaluate why you want to go into healthcare - Is it to help others or just help yourself???

I think each group of health care could use some professional courtesy. I've had nurses come in our pharmacy and try to talk down the pharmacist always citing that they are nurses and know more. I've also had a LPN who was planning to become an RN crack some joke on me because she heard I got into pharmacy school, which I didn't appreciate. We're all trying to work hard and help others, no need to be that way in my opinion. I wouldn't want to do their jobs, and they probably wouldn't want to do mine either.

Nurses never ever ever ever ever earn more than pharmacists. Nurses must work overtime(14-16hr/day) in order to make the base salary for pharmacy graduates(95k). There is no competition here. The pharmacists earn more than nurses and it should be quite obvious. Moreover, nursing involves high levels of stress when compared to pharmacy.

I have a few friends who make $130,000 a year as a retail pharmacist in NYC, just graduated last year. RN's start off around 50-60K, but if they specialize they can make up to 150K (anesthesiology nursing)

Only about 1 out of 30 would succeed in doing anesthesiology which makes it statistically insignificant. You need to talk of nursing salaries in general. There are pharmacist who make as much as 150k depending on the location and specialty

Nurses never ever ever ever ever earn more than pharmacists. Nurses must work overtime(14-16hr/day) in order to make the base salary for pharmacy graduates(95k). There is no competition here. The pharmacists earn more than nurses and it should be quite obvious. Moreover, nursing involves high levels of stress when compared to pharmacy.

Only about 1 out of 30 would succeed in doing anesthesiology which makes it statistically insignificant. You need to talk of nursing salaries in general. There are pharmacist who make as much as 150k depending on the location and specialty

Members don't see this ad :)
CRNA will almost always earn more than pharmacists. On the other hand, my prediction is that NP & Midlevels salary will be climbing to br at the same level as a pharmacist in the future... while pharmacists' salary will be leveled out.

look at the trend: http://www.indeed.com/salary/Nurse-Practitioner.html

I prefer pharmacy. However, if worst thing happens and there are only chain retail jobs, and no residencies available, I would choose going for NP over working for retail pharmacy. I would rather earn $80,000 rather than working at walgreen for $100,000.

CRNA will almost always earn more than pharmacists. On the other hand, my prediction is that NP & Midlevels salary will be climbing to br at the same level as a pharmacist in the future... while pharmacists' salary will be leveled out.

look at the trend: http://www.indeed.com/salary/Nurse-Practitioner.html

I prefer pharmacy. However, if worst thing happens and there are only chain retail jobs, and no residencies available, I would choose going for NP over working for retail pharmacy. I would rather earn $80,000 rather than working at walgreen for $100,000.

I totally agree with you concerning CRNA's. They earn more than pharmacists. However, there arent a lot of spaces for people who want to be CRNAs. It is super competitive

I am a Pharmacist with my own pharcmacy. So I do pretty well, but you have to consider overhead and taxes.

The dirty little secret about Pharmacy, especially in the next 10 years is that the salaries will be declining. Why? Because many companies like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid....so on and so on are beginning to recruit pharmacists overseas from various places like Singapore and Malaysia - Asian and Middle Eastern Countries, Why? Because of globalization. :scared:

It's all about increasing the bottom line and if getting cheap labor is an effective of doing so, in which it is, many companies will go this route. As a result, this forces salaries down. Walgreens and CVS are businesses first, bottom line!, then pharmacies. They will do what is in their best interest to their investors and what helps the brass (MBA grads) at the top. So the end result is if you want to work as a phamacist be prepared to take a pay cut or not work at all. The days of making bank are over in the health profession, with the exception of a few doctors, PA, NPs and PTs. So unless you own a pharmacy your not going to rich in the pharmacy profession.

Oh and one more thing pharmacy is not stress-free career as some might have you to believe. In fact, it is going to get more stressful, since a lot of Pharm Techs are being moved into more clerical type duties. :thumbup:;)

So good luck to all you! Because you'll need it!

Oh and one more thing pharmacy is not stress-free career as some might have you to believe.
Who the hell thinks it's stress-free?

Having peoples' lives in your hands is never stress-free...

Anyway, glad we have such an expert here to keep us on the up and up, thinking we were going to get rich with our six-figure salary! Heck yeah!

Who thinks they can get rich making $105,000 a year?

And I hope you conduct business a lot better than you spell. You don't even know how to use possessive vs. plural and you're running a business? Impressive.

Last edited:
And I hope you conduct business a lot better than you spell. You don't even know how to use possessive vs. plural and you're running a business? Impressive.

Pwn'd! :D

-I have a relative who works in a retail Pharmacy, and they started her just below a six-figure salary - plus a sign-on, and a 15% increase each year, which isn't just going to stop.

I think the general consensus is that Pharmacists will make more, especially out of school. Of course, additional training for nurses could obviously change that - but so could additional training for Pharmacists.

So good luck to all you! Because you'll need it!

That's harsh, considering 90% of us, if not more, will never have the luxury of being a business owner...

Just as an FYI to this topic, I am graduating next year and have a job offer lined up. My mother has been an RN at a level 1 trauma hospital for 30+ yrs.

She works nights, overtime, and a side job to make barely over 100k/yr.
I won't have to and I'll make 112k/yr.

Nurses salaries haven't increased drastically over the past few years, and neither have pharmacists. Neither have many other profession either.

Who the hell thinks it's stress-free?

Having peoples' lives in your hands is never stress-free...

Anyway, glad we have such an expert here to keep us on the up and up, thinking we were going to get rich with our six-figure salary! Heck yeah!

Who thinks they can get rich making $105,000 a year?

Hey Passion4Sci you sound like a snotty uneducated bitch. I made an error in my writing;moreover, I did not ask for your opinion on this issue. OK? I am just giving the facts. Pharmacy pays well now, but not in the future. Why? Globalisation. So get used to it!

And by the way, I do not believe pharmacy to be a stress-free career. But, some of these cocky jack-asses on this board, like you, who are coming out of pharmacy school act like it is a cake walk with lots of money. No, it is long hours on your feet and busting heads with insurance companies.

I am just willing to bet you will obsess over my comments, which is a sign your scared for some reason. If you don't like my comments then ignore them. If you have a problem with that, then I suggest you jam it sideways!

Last edited:
THE FACTS?

Mr. Mark Price, you're hardly an expert. You come onto this board, promoting yourself as an independent pharmacy owner/operator, which absolutely zero proof to verify this claim, and you expect everyone to simply lay down and listen to you?

I think not.

You have a self-perception that you're doing us some type of service with your amazing acumen and insight into pharmacy, but you fail to take many variables into consideration, and make broad, sweeping generalizations which, in tandem with your inability to form a coherent sentence without errors (Nice use of the semi-colon but you still can't distinguish between possessive and plural...), denote a serious problem with logic. And as such, I don't think anyone here should take you seriously.. and like so many "ADMISSIONS MAAAAAN" type "heros" that try to come onto this board and infect young minds with pessimist bullhockey like you're spewing, you'll leave. Just a matter of time.

Hey Passion4Sci you sound like a snotty uneducated bitch. I made an error in my writing;moreover, I did not ask for your opinion on this issue. OK? I am just giving the facts. Pharmacy pays well now, but not in the future. Why? Globalisation. So get used to it!

And by the way, I do not believe pharmacy to be a stress-free career. But, some of these cocky jack-asses on this board, like you, who are coming out of pharmacy school act like it is a cake walk with lots of money. No, it is long hours on your feet and busting heads with insurance companies.

I am just willing to bet you will obsess over my comments, which is a sign your scared for some reason. If you don't like my comments then ignore them. If you have a problem with that, then I suggest you jam it sideways!
That's funny you had to edit your post and still have so many mistakes (not typos). Do you have anything to do with Middle East?

I don't understand how this is even a topic.

Comparing the average salaries of nurses:pharmacists is like comparing the salaries of pharmacists:surgeons.

I'm pretty sure Mark Price is a troll. He created an account today to revive a year-old thread.

Funny stuff here so far ...but as relates to the original topic I wanted to throw my two cents in...

I would say Pharmacists make more, and depending on where your working, also have less stress. This is again, very dependent on where you are a nurse. An ER nurse, or hospital nurse in general has to deal with a LOT of crap, literally and figuratively. Some of their responsibilities may not seem like something one would want to deal with when compared to a pharmacy job (I.e. you'll never have to help someone "relieve" themselves at a pharmacy or while doing research). Also, at some point, most nurses will work a midnight shift. Some people find it to be great while others wouldn't dream of going into work at 12am. So all in all, if you worked as a nurse for 20+ years and you have an excellent salary (100K+) is it even something you would want to do? I'd also have to say that starting a family (if it is something your ever going to consider) would be easier as a Pharmacist.
I myself got into Pharmacy with the idea of becoming an RN, and eventually a CRNA if Pharmacy didn't work out (I.e. If I didn't get accepted). If you already have a BS with some basic science classes there are 15 month accelerated programs in which you can become an RN. I wasn't going to settle with just being an RN so for me it would be 15 months of accelerated, 1- however many years it took to be a nurse in the ICU, and then applying to the CRNA program for another 2 years I believe. So typically nursing does take longer, but there are options out there. Either way I would have been in school for at least 6 years if I did nursing, and 5-6 years if I did Pharmacy. Obviously I chose the latter.
Don't go so much by salary because either profession will offer a suitable salary at one point or another, plus benefits, bonuses, 401k, SS, vacations, etc. has to be factored into the equation before you simply look at the base salary and select solely based on that. And lastly, it isn't to say that Pharmacists have less stress than a nurse! Please don't think I am implying that at all. Each of the professions have a different type of stress, and how we react to it is different from person to person.

Last edited:
I'm such a newb ...sorry guys didn't even realize this topic was from LAST YEAR! :laugh:

I didn't even think to look at the date since it was relatively new on the threads for Pre-Pharm. Been reading a lot of what everyone has to say, but only made an account a few days ago so I guess I'm still getting familiar.

man i shoulda stopped by in here earlier....i woulda went to town on that mark price idiot. hahahahahahah, what a *******, and you know i love them :love:

man i shoulda stopped by in here earlier....i woulda went to town on that mark price idiot. hahahahahahah, what a *******, and you know i love them :love:

yea, I know my ass-kicking skills are but a shadow of yours, but I think it's safe to say he won't be showing his avatar around here.

Renetto, ADMISSIONS MAAAAN and now Mr. Price. My confirmed kills grow and grow.

yea, I know my ass-kicking skills are but a shadow of yours, but I think it's safe to say he won't be showing his avatar around here.

Is that pronounced like... TROJAN MAAAAN

?

I found Renetto's posts. Humorous fella. Got a link for some of Admission Man's stuff?

Yes! I remember you two going at it most specifically, but I can't remember exactly what he was trying to make us believe again??? lol

That he was an admissions man at some big pharmacy school, and that his mom owned a pharmacy, which he later said his sister owned (woops). He kept claiming he knew all kinds of insider info and it was pretty much always useless... Which seems startling similar to "Mark Price".

I screen-shot his boo-boo and when he edited his post, owned him with it.

@Miata - Not sure where Admissions dude's posts went. I can't remember his exact moniker... it may have been Admissions or something along those lines. he didn't call himself Admissions MAAAAAN, that was what I dubbed him because he acted all high and mighty, like he was saving us all.

Renetto was a *****.

He hasn't showed up again, sadly. Hope we didn't scare him away. Such a delightful individual.

That he was an admissions man at some big pharmacy school, and that his mom owned a pharmacy, which he later said his sister owned (woops). He kept claiming he knew all kinds of insider info and it was pretty much always useless... Which seems startling similar to "Mark Price".

I screen-shot his boo-boo and when he edited his post, owned him with it.

@Miata - Not sure where Admissions dude's posts went. I can't remember his exact moniker... it may have been Admissions or something along those lines. he didn't call himself Admissions MAAAAAN, that was what I dubbed him because he acted all high and mighty, like he was saving us all.

Renetto was a *****.

Yeah... Too bad Renetto got banned. The scary thing is, I really think they were legit (like a real pharmacy student at a school somewhere out there) lol

Yeah... Too bad Renetto got banned. The scary thing is, I really think they were legit (like a real pharmacy student at a school somewhere out there) lol
He sure didn't act like he deserved to be in.

That punk-ass...

On-topic, though, IT'S A ZOMBIE!!!!!!!!!!!! *cocks shotgun*

Is there anyone who has any working experience at a hospital? I was just wondering who is making money better. A pharmacist or a nurse (specially RN)? Calculate- stress+social respect. Start $80.000 (a pharmacist) ..WWow.. RN starts $35/hr..How long does it take to be a RN. 4 years I guess..P.S I am the man who loves money.. kidding!!

I see you r a pre-dental, so why r u even concerned:D:D:D You should chk the stats of dental hyginists and dentists:laugh::laugh::laugh: just kidding:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've been a pharmacist since 1990, and my wife is a BSN Registered Nurse.

This reply may be a little lengthy, but will give you a lot of insight to both professions.

The short answer to your question is - Pharmacists wage is a little more than double that of a nurse. In my part of the USA, the highest pharmacist wage I've heard of is $65/hour. Even with a Master's degree, a nurse does not even approach that. The highest nursing wage would be those with an advanced degree, such as a Masters degree Nurse Practitioner, but even they make less than pharmacists.

Both professions education options and requirements have expanded dramatically since 1990. The "entry level" degree to be a licensed pharmacist is now a Pharm D. This degree requires 6 years, if you go straight thru and don't have to repeat a class. That said, if the student screws up and takes 7 years to obtain a degree that he/she COULD have been obtained in 6, that "oopsie" just cost him/her about $150,000.00 - after you calculate the lost income of $130K, plus the additional expenses of being a student another year - books, tuition, interest accruing on loans, etc...

There are several things that contribute to pharmacists wages being so much higher than nursing. Everyone wants to point to the years of education, but that's NOT the true reason. As mentioned above, only the Master's degree nurse practitioner or Nurse Anesthetist even approach my pay check.

The Pharmacist is a "revenue generating" staff member. Because the medications we dispense are generating profits, the resulting income, sales, or insurance reimbursement is then used to justify paying the higher salary. In some cases the pharmacist is used to identify $$ wasted, by hospital MD's ordering extremely expensive meds with a very small profit, and then recommending a less expensive alternative that has a higher profit margin. This reduction in the cost of doing business is the SAME as generating pure profits! i.e.. It may require $1,000 in sales to generate a $100 profit, but a decision that decreases COSTS by $100 has instantly increased profits by $100.

The Nurse on the other hand does not DIRECTLY generate income for a hospital. (I know you can think of some examples, I'm married to a nurse.) Lets say that 95% of what a nurse does for a patient is NOT a "billable" service... meaning you can't bill the patient for your services. For the most part, everything the nurse does increases cost, which decreases profits. Every band aid, dressing change, catheter inserted, etc. has increased cost, with no service to be billed. Even the nurses wages are an "expense" to the hospital, because having more nurses on the floor does not result in a proportional increase in billable services (sales, income).

This is the reason hospitals are always wanting to see how FEW nurses are needed to provide care for the MAX number of patients.

Pharmacists however to not have these issues. More pharmacists on duty can result in dispensing more and more meds, which ARE billable services... and we assist with the decisions for the "hospital formulary" that avoids using those outrageously expensive meds with very low re-imbursement... which decreases costs, and increases profits. For easy example: if a patient is getting an IV medication daily, Nexium 40mg for example, and the pharmacist notes that the patient is eating and taking other meds by mouth - many hospitals delegate the pharmacist to go ahead and switch the IV Nexium to be Nexium given by mouth. This decision decreased the cost of caring for the patient by $4.34/day... for the REST of their hospital stay. If we do this for 20 patients per day and they stay 5 days in the hospital, we have generated $434 of PROFIT each day, which = $158,410 per year. This one function (of many) has justified 1.33 pharmacists salary!

Many states have also made it illegal for nurses to become "unionized", out of fear that they will go on strike and leave the health and safety of the public in danger. The employers in those states basically view their nurses as "replaceable" and in some ways even desire the employee turnover - so no one stays around long enough to become "highly compensated". They just hire new grads, and then pay them peanuts.

For the record - Nurses are the most UNDER compensated profession in the USA. Considering the huge responsibility (and liability) that they have taken on, the amount of abuse they tolerate from both patients and families, the exposure to the worse of all the infectious diseases, the bodies they have to bathe, touch, smell, and look at, - the butts they wipe and the catheters they insert... they SHOULD be the highest paid person in the building. -but it is not so.