Salary for EMG trained Neurologists and Physiatrists???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbbmd

Pain Doctor/Physiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much a Neurologist or a Physiatrist trained in EMGs would make??? Would there be a difference in salary between the two specialties? I've been searching for a website that shows physician compensation for EMGs, but could not find one. Does anyone know how much a physician would get for each EMG??? I'd like to know because I am interested in possible fellowship in EMG and would want to know if it is a lucrative form of practice. Thanks! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Physiatrists and neurologists get paid the same. In fact, if you're a physiatrist doing brain injury work you can even get trained and reimbursed for interpretting EEGs as do some pulmonologists who do sleep disorder studies!

The reimbursement range is huge and depends upon insurance and practice setting: Reimbursement can be anywhere from $250 (for a simple median nerve NCV/EMG study) to over $1200 for a detailed polyneuropathic work-up with a whole series of specialized studies, H-reflexes, single-fiber EMG studies, etc.

I think a fellowship in electrodiagnostics would be very valuable for you if you feel like you weren't adequately prepared in residency. You might also check out the webpage for the American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine for information on fellowships. They also publish the very excellent medical journal "Muscle and Nerve."

http://www.aaem.net/index.cfm