• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Salary for new grad ortho PA

1ORTHOPA

15+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2004
    I'm PA student in Los Angeles, CA, and am going to be working in an orthopedic surgeon's office when I finish this year because he sponsored me (in other words, paid for my tuition). I used to be a surgical technician for 8 years and scrubbed on a lot of orth cases, even first assisted sometimes, including joint replacements, etc. I was wondering when the time comes for me to discuss salary, what amount would be fair considering that he paid for my tuition ($22,000) and that I have surgical experience?

Emedpa

Global Doc (DHSc)
    Aug 26, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    1. Post Doc
      Tuition assistance aside, most ortho and surgical pa's make >65 k to start with long term potential 80-100k+.
      more with an ortho residency. also discuss 1st assistant fees. an ortho pa friend of mine gets 10% of every surgery on top of a base of 90k + on call fees(he did a surgical residency).

GIGATT

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 22, 2004
        Bump...i'm curious what info someone might have on this topic as well. I've seen lots of salary inquiries; however, they mostly seem to be clogged with bickering :( Anyone have a straight answer? thanks

About the Ads

JustaPA

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jun 1, 2004
          One other thing to consider. A salary is not just the paycheck, the benefits count. Approximately one third of your salary is the amount the employer should be willing to pay for health insurance, retirement, holidays and vacation. so if you are making a salary of $75 K your employer is probably paying that and another $25 K for the benefits.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.