Salary for the First Job as a Veterinarian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uwvj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know what the actual average salary is for the new graduate veterinarians at their first job.
I've been job hunting for about a month and have received a contract recently with pay rate of C$70,000 annually with average weekly working hours being 40. This is the very first contract I received and I'm contemplating whether I should wait to get responses from other places that I've applied +/- keep applying to other places, or just accept the offer...:(
Any Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone’s answer will vary and will depend highly on:

1) location and the average household income + cost of living for that area
2) small animal only vs mixed vs food animal vs equine
3) how does the salary compete with similar salary offered in the area (such as at banfield)
4) benefits. If the job doesn’t come with health insurance, that has to come out of that salary.
4) straight salary vs pro sal vs straight production (production: hardest for a new grad)
5) quality of life. Days off? Sick time? Any emergencies on call? Weekends?

The job market is good enough right now that I would suggest that you don’t accept an offer just because you feel it’s your only choice. It’s okay to continue to send your resume out and network, but in the meantime have other review this contract and negotiate some if you have to. I know for me, at least, I wasn’t accepting a base salary below $80k, but I have a high debt burden. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious to know what the actual average salary is for the new graduate veterinarians at their first job.
I've been job hunting for about a month and have received a contract recently with pay rate of C$70,000 annually with average weekly working hours being 40. This is the very first contract I received and I'm contemplating whether I should wait to get responses from other places that I've applied +/- keep applying to other places, or just accept the offer...:(
Any Suggestions?

Definitely don’t accept the first offer on the first contract you get. Like mentioned above, there are SO many factors that go into salary and the associate markwt, even for new grads, is good right now so you have room to ask for more (either in salary or benefits- vacation time, CE allowance, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
It's so hugely variable on both objective and subjective levels: factual issues like location, type of job, benefits, local supply and demand, and personal preferences like clinic culture, commute time, style of medicine, staffing, etc.

Reactions: 1 user