Salary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dph201

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am considering a career in nursing. I have my bachelors degree in biology already and have decided to change careers. I was considering attending my local communtiy college for nursing. They have an evening program there and it would be convient for me. That way I could keep working and my job could pay for it. But in the end I will only get my associate's in nursing. My question is when I start working as a nurse, will I be paid an associate's RN salary or bachelors being that I already have my bachelor's degree.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends where you work. Graduates of 2 yr RN programs and 4 yr RN programs take the same state licensing exam. Keep in mind that the purpose of any licensing exam is theoretically to assure a minimum standard for public safety.
Many institutions pay nurses with 4 yr dergree more. Also, for advancement many positions require a minimum of bachelor's degree.
You may want to look into programs which are specifically designed for those who all ready have a 4 yr degree. This would probably be the best fit for you because of your bio degree. These programs are designed to take approxiamtely 2 years and you would graduate with a bachelor's degree rather than spending 2 yrs in a CC program.;)

correction: most of the post-bac BSN programs are 12-14 months long not 2 years. I would say that u would be paid just like any other BSN b/c u are a RN and u would have a degree. The RN license is the same (2yr or 4yr). The difference comes with advancement into mangement. Most corporations would like to see at least a BS before placing a person in a high position. Regardless of 2year prog or 4year YOU ARE A RN! The BSN just gives the "Nurse" a degree. U already have a degree so, it really doesn't matter which way u choose. However, it would be quicker to do a post bac program. Why spend 2 years when u could do it in 1? Plus with the post bac they give you another 4 year degree-BSN for only a years work! As always I know what I am talking about. I have been a nurse for 10 years. I also went to a community college for nursing and I have a BS in biology. before med school my last job was Nurse Manager and there were BSN RNs that were eligible but I got the job. So, I think any degree works; BSN, or BA, or BS, or just about anything as long as u have a RN license. You get the picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know in my neck of the woods BSN RN's get paid a whole 15cent more per hr. Unless you're interested in an advanced position (e.g. Nurse Manager, NP, CRNA, CNS) I would recommend the ADN program. It seems to be a little more convenient for your situation.

Go Tigers!!

It depends on where you live. I live in an area where the hospitals base your salary on your experience level. A lot of places, however, do have differentials for nurses that have their BSN's.

The BSN, however, will open a lot more doors for you if you are interested in management.

Thanks for the information everyone. Sorry i took so long to respond. But thanks again

Actually, it is the exception, not the rule, that BSN's make more than diploma or ADN's, when you are talking about bedside nursing.

If you move into a mgmt area that requires a BSN, then there will be a difference.

Just one of the major issues of contention in this profession...why get an advanced degree if you aren't really compensated for it? Sure, additional knowledge is great, but nursing suffers from a serious case of the guilts ("I must be called to this...everyone else's needs come first...I shouldn't expect to make $$ as a nurse; it's the smiles I get from pts. that matter.")

Yeah, right...take a snapshot of that smile and see if your landlord accepts it for rent.

Ultimately, you have to decide what your long-term goal is for nursing. Bear in mind that it is much harder, and getting harder every day; you may not be physically able to handle direct care when you get in you mid-40's, 50's. It is a different world from when I got out in 1985; you really have to prepare.

BottomLine

If you're wanting to get into MGNT positions complete the BSN, if you want to do strictly bedside nursing complete the ADN program. The wages for ADN and BSN degrees are not enough of a difference to cause concern.

Just about everything you read is correct. Technically a BSN has more of a 'liberal arts' beginning versus an ADN which has the prereq sciences and the clinical. Dollars to donuts I think that you will be hard pressed to find any significant salary difference regardless of the degree. However, many hospitals have 'ladder' programs which have a incentive monetary value that comes in the form of a few extra initals after your RN (i.e. SUE JONES, RN, Clinical Nurse II) and mind you usually a tremendous amount of paperwork and hoop jumping which in the end only proves that you are able to get long laborious projects completed and not that you are an outstanding bedside nurse. I think most seasoned nurses will agree...we've all met our share of very educated nurses that the nurse manager loves that we wouldn't want at our bedside. (Being a previous NM and Director I've met my share). And as the previous poster stated I too started in nursing management as an ADN and only later went on and on for my masters. It's really your background and experience that make a unit run, not your degree! I will suggest if you have an inclination that you will end up in med school--focus on making sure you try to get some prereqs. done when you are getting your nursing degree. sorry for rambling.