• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Salary raises during Covid

About the Ads

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Not Big Box Shop
  1. Attending Physician
Similar to some news articles about dictators not letting a good pandemic go to waste, you can bet the Big Box Shop admin won't let this go to waste either, and some how these cuts will need to continue long after Covid-19 has resolved.

And here is my shameless plug to advocate the entry into private practice. Now is the time.

Reactions: 2 users

clozareal

5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2016
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Similar to some news articles about dictators not letting a good pandemic go to waste, you can bet the Big Box Shop admin won't let this go to waste either, and some how these cuts will need to continue long after Covid-19 has resolved.

And here is my shameless plug to advocate the entry into private practice. Now is the time.

I was just going to ask if private practice or group practice salaries have decreased because of the pandemic. My clinics have seen the same amount if not more (due to less no shows) patients during this time.

Reactions: 1 user

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
  1. Psychologist

Definitely a good time to think PP. Great time to get into IME/forensic work. We already had a shortage of providers in our area doing this, and the COVID backlog has only increased the need for these services.

Sushirolls

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Not Big Box Shop
  1. Attending Physician
I was just going to ask if private practice or group practice salaries have decreased because of the pandemic. My clinics have seen the same amount if not more (due to less no shows) patients during this time.
For my practice, new consults have dropped in half compared to pre-Covid. My follow ups have neither gone up nor down [no practice growth]. In general, follow ups pay relatively more than new consults. My clinical hours have dropped to 83% of what it was pre-covid due to the down trend of consults. However, my income is unchanged compared to pre-covid.

Reactions: 1 users

oldiebutgoodie1211

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 13, 2020
  1. Resident [Any Field]
For my practice, new consults have dropped in half compared to pre-Covid. My follow ups have neither gone up nor down [no practice growth]. In general, follow ups pay relatively more than new consults. My clinical hours have dropped to 83% of what it was pre-covid due to the down trend of consults. However, my income is unchanged compared to pre-covid.

have you broken 200k per year yet? How long have you been in PP has it been more than a year?

clozareal

5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2016
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

Very informative. Thanks!

Ahamis

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008

If new consults have dropped, how come is it a good time to open a PP? I didn't understand.

Sushirolls

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Not Big Box Shop
  1. Attending Physician
Because it will take you 3-6 months to set up the infrastructure of a new practice. It takes time. And when people are isolating from accessing the health care system, it hasn't changed the demand, merely delayed it. For instance my dentist was closed for like 1-3 months, when they opened back up, I tried to get in, nope, I have to wait several months because of their back log.

As you open a practice, there will be lots to learn and change and optimize. Pandemic time, less distractions to pull away from this process.

Also, as the pandemic continues things are getting more difficult out there. I just learned of one local Big Box shop health system that is in the process of dropping their psych department. I've heard gossip of another health system hemorrhaging money on their Psych department and wouldn't be surprised if they drastically downsized theirs, too. For people who started up 2-3 months ago, they are ahead of the curve of the onslaught of people who will be doing the exact same thing. There is some variability in this, and some places are bursting with patients, but I suspect the scales nationally reflect more places suffering than bursting with work. Not all people looking for work can move, nor will be willing to accept the unsavory nature of many of the current posted jobs or locum opportunities. That essentially leaves building a practice.

Reactions: 1 user

chocomorsel

15+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
  1. Attending Physician
In the big systems in our metro area, most everyone is either frozen, slight pay cut/furlough, and/or 401/403b employer contributions cut. I haven't heard about anyone getting a pay raise in any doctoral specialty that I know or work with.
Critical care at least back in March April May. But it is high risk these days.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.