salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaw

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am only a first year medical student, but am already interested in Pathology. I do have to ask the typical, entering medical student question of:

What is the average salary for a Pathologist?

I know it ranges whether you are in private practice, university based and so forth, but I would love to hear some general ranges.

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

First figures are starting salarys

Private practice- 130-180k, with partnership in 3 to 5 years then 250K+++++

Academics- 80-120k up to ?

Dermpath- 200-300k up to 500k++

Forensics 80k-120k up to 180+

these figures are very conditional on location, specific practice, how much you really want to work, etc......

Yeah, I heard dermpath is pretty big now, and I can see why. I heard 150,000 as an average number thrown out across the boards, but that was a web site.

thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is there no mention of neuropathology in these boards? I'm a second-year doing CNS right now and falling in love with neuropath more and more. BTW, what is the avg salary for neuropath? What about the job market?

Neuropath is not a competitive fellowship right now. But, there are jobs from what I can tell. But, they would be similar to general path salaries. Many of the jobs in neuro would also be academics. Not sure why more folks don't go into neuropath. Could be the 2 year fellowship.

Academic dermpaths start at around 135K and don't go much higher than 200K unless they also work in outside groups. I know some academic Dermapths who also read slides for reference labs and dermgroups for extra money.

Neuropath is a tough 2 year fellowship one of which is mostly research. Finding a job is mostly limited to academic medicine and often your salary is 80K, any additional money you have to supplement with research grants which are getting tougher and tougher to get. You should be a well rounded surgical path before you go Neuropath.

Hey DermpathDO, nice to get the info from someone in the field. It seems like lots of the folks on here are interested in dermpath.