Same LOI to multiple schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc4435

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about LOInterest ethics. I have about 3 or 4 schools I am going to send a letter of interest to. There will be the obvious differences in each letter (ie the name of the school) but there are some "interesting" aspects of multiple schools that are the same. For example, a few of my schools have a strong sense of "community" about them which I want to emphasize. Would it be okay to use the same "community paragraph" in multiple letters? Or should I be rewording? And the intro and conclusion will be similar in most of them. Is this okay?

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely ok...it's not like anyone is sharing these between schools. i used the same letter for med schools, and tweaked the same letter only slightly to use for all the residency programs i interviewed at.

LOIs don't carry all that much weight.

(but make sure you send the right letter to the right school...that could hurt you)

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the point of writing a LOI if you're sending it to so many schools? they know you're interested, that's why you applied and interviewed there. if you haven't turned down their offer, you'll obviously accept an invitation to attend.

LOIs would actually mean something if people didn't do stuff like this.

what is the point of writing a LOI if you're sending it to so many schools? they know you're interested, that's why you applied and interviewed there. if you haven't turned down their offer, you'll obviously accept an invitation to attend.

LOIs would actually mean something if people didn't do stuff like this.

I'm waitlisted at them. I don't think sending 3 letters of interest (were you thinking intent?) is a big deal.

Are you guys mailing your LOI's or emailing them? And does it really matter?

I have a question about LOInterest ethics. I have about 3 or 4 schools I am going to send a letter of interest to. There will be the obvious differences in each letter (ie the name of the school) but there are some "interesting" aspects of multiple schools that are the same. For example, a few of my schools have a strong sense of "community" about them which I want to emphasize. Would it be okay to use the same "community paragraph" in multiple letters? Or should I be rewording? And the intro and conclusion will be similar in most of them. Is this okay?

As long as it is not a letter of intent (AKA you say you will drop all other offers/applications and attend there if they accept you) you are just fine. You are the same applicant at each school; you have the same desires and are looking for the same thing.

Are you guys mailing your LOI's or emailing them? And does it really matter?

Doesn't really matter. I personally would do both; snail mail a copy to the school, and email the admissions office with the attatchment. Then call and make sure one or the other has gotten into your file. That is all that really matters and the committee could care less wether you emailed or snail mailed them. If possible, you may want to consider emailing the dean of admissions your letter too, it could help you stand out in their mind. It can't hurt.