same place undergrad and grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenn1015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I'm hoping that someone can offer some insight to this question that I've been turning over for awhile.
I just graduated in May with a BA in psychology, and am currently taking the year "off" to study for GREs, write personal statements, gain extra research experience, build up my CV, etc. I am applying to clinical PhD programs for Fall of 2010.
I have been doing research with a professor at my school for awhile now, and the more I think about it, the more I feel like I would really like to stay and do doctoral work there. I have friends who went to this institution for undergrad and applied and got in to school PsyD or clinical PhD programs there. These students also grew up in the area (I did not) and I think that that's a part of the reason they are choosing to stay (live at home, etc.) However, I had thought that this was something that people just "don't do" because it's important to gain a new perspective. Even though I would be working with all new faculty, I feel like I need a new experience. On the other hand, I love the school, the community, the people, and am comfortable here, not to mention that it is a phenomenal PhD program (or maybe I just think that because it's what I know..)
Either way, I plan to apply, but what are the opinions out in the field? Will potential employers (wherever I end up living) view this as a negative thing? Or does it even matter?
Thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: