same secondary as last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alerk323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the schools I'm applying to again, how big of a deal do you think it is to just re-send the same secondary essays as the previous year (assuming they havn't changed). In this case, I don't think it's unrealistic that they could compare my applications side by side, but why should a "why school X" or "what makes me diverse" essay need to be different?

Members don't see this ad.

For the schools I'm applying to again, how big of a deal do you think it is to just re-send the same secondary essays as the previous year (assuming they havn't changed). In this case, I don't think it's unrealistic that they could compare my applications side by side, but why should a "why school X" or "what makes me diverse" essay need to be different?

I guess the major reason not to reuse is you didn't get accepted there last time with it. Granted, that probably had nothing to do with your secondary, but I would personally not reuse them.

I guess the major reason not to reuse is you didn't get accepted there last time with it. Granted, that probably had nothing to do with your secondary, but I would personally not reuse them.

Am I expected to come up with completely different hardships, diversity qualities and reasons for wanting to go to that school? Or would you just re-write with the same content.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd re-write the secondaries to schools you've already applied for no other reason than it makes you seem lazy and not that interested in the school.

Also, they keep your file and will look at it to compare how you've made changes from the previous year, so its very likely they will do a side by side comparison.

I think re-writing with the same content is acceptable if nothing that question pertains to has changed. However, it could very well be that you used a poor example in the first place and that could have hindered you from getting an interview. So, just be weary of that and create new material if you can (might not always be the case).

You should add stuff to make your response stronger. Talk about experiences that you had over the last year. Make your response more recent.

There's little chance that they will remember your secondary answers from last year but if you didn't get an interview, it might be a good idea to rewrite.

I would ask yourself if you are willing to take the risk that the schools DO pull your previous application and compare. Also, are you willing to risk re-using the essays if that was the reason you didn't get interviewed (since you don't actually know the reason). Some schools keep applications and will do this. I doubt you are more diverse now than a year before, but you can discuss the same topics in a different way.