Samples of LoR from doctors.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have search all over the place for a sample but can't find one coming from a doctor. Anyone willing to share their samples?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I CANT! i waived my right to see it!

That sucks. My doctor asked me to find him a template so he could edit it but there's nothing out there.

If no one has any samples, then could you guys give me some ideas of what I could tell my doctor to write? Pointers, advices, outlines, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't any LOR just go..

To whom it may concern:

Then they write whatever they want...

Sincerely,
X

I mean that's basically it.

Yes, but what is suppose to be included? Time spent shadowing, when did I come, duties I performed, etc.? I mean I would like the letter to stand out from the generic ones if possible.

If your doctor knows you, it'll show. If he likes the person he knows and thinks that person should become a physician, he'll find a way to get that across. That's all there is to it.

Just give him the information to let him know more about you. A draft of your PS, your resume, a list of activities you've done, your academic history, etc. Throw in a thank you note, too; that always goes over well.

If all else fails, ask your premed adviser if he has any template you can send. That's the best I can offer.

Yes, but what is suppose to be included? Time spent shadowing, when did I come, duties I performed, etc.? I mean I would like the letter to stand out from the generic ones if possible.

It all depends on how well he will write you one, but some factors that will make the LOR strong, is for the doc to write about how you were really interested, hours spent shadowing, tasks, motivation, maturity etc...

I mean you can't make a template for him. Letter writers write whatever they want whether it be good or bad, you won't know, unless he provides you a copy.

The standard letter goes something like this:

Dear Committee on Admissions,
I am pleased to write a letter of recommendation for John Jones, an applicant to your program. writing "your program" leaves it open to use the letter for med school or something else.

The letter then goes on to say how long the writer has known the applicant and in what context (as a patient, neighbor, friend or classmate of the writer's child, as an employee, volunteer, as student in the classroom or laboratory, etc). If the relationship changed over time, that is described (e.g. you were a neighbor who went on to volunteer in the office for a year and was later shadowed the doctor in the OR).

Some writers will describe themselves, what they do and where/how they interacted with the applicant. This might include the type of practice, number of others in the practice, hosptial affiliations, and activies undertaken including procedures or surgeries. The writer might go on to describe the activites undertaken with the shadow (procedures, interpretation of diagnostic imaging or tests, surgeries, hospital rounds, outpatient clinic, deliveries, etc)

The writer then describes what he has observed (characteristics of the applicant) and his opinion of the applicant's maturity, character, intelligence, etc.

The closing paragraph is generally something to the effect that the writer recommends the applicant and how great the applicant is compared with others the writer has interacted with or that the applicant is as good as medical students or residents with whom the writer has worked.

Reactions: 1 user