1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Samsung or Sony Ericsson?

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by chaeymaey, Dec 17, 2005.

1. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I've been with Sprint for four years and I'm now switching to Cingular. I'm trying to choose between the Samsung P207 (free) and the Sony Ericsson Z520a ($70). I definitely want a phone with a video camera, but I'm not sure how useful the speakerphone and Bluetooth are. What do y'all think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fielight

fielight Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

personally, i find the speakerphone to be pretty important. you never know when you might be driving and get a call, or find yourself holding a conversation in your room, but suddenly need to flip a book or find a pen/paper to jot down info... if you have speakerphone, all you need to do is turn it on, and set the phone down. of course, there's always the headsets, but then you'd have to go find it and plug it in and all. bluetooth, it depends... do you want to pay extra to get a bluetooth headset? or are you a techie who will rely on the bluetooth to sync with your bluetooth-enabled laptop? (and more importantly, does either phone even support syncing over bluetooth?) my last 2 phones both had bluetooth, and honestly, i didn't use it much except to transfer photos/videos/music between my phone and another friend's.

4. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The Sony has bluetooth and speakerphone; I think I may be leaning towards that one. Do you need a specific type of laptop, or are any of the recent laptops enabled? I bought my laptop new in October from Gateway, so I figured it would be enabled.

5. fielight

fielight Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i think the SE is a good choice (or better). i never liked samsungs... they're very restricted in terms of file sharing and data exchange. you should never assume any laptop comes with bluetooth enabled... it's more of a "luxury" that very few people use, so it's generally going to be an add-on for most laptops. try looking in the manual or the manufacturer's site. you should also find the option to configure it (if it's already built-in) in the Control Panel. if you don't have the bluetooth, you can always buy a usb dongle... $20 (shipping included) on ebay.