Samuel Merritt DPT Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTjess1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to start a thread for those who applied/accepted Samuel Merritt's DPT program in Oakland for the Class of 2021! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello were you accepted?
I just paid my deposit, super stoked!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied here but I heard nothing yet from them sigh..

Members don't see this ad :)
ended up getting waitlisted! I wonder how many people they would take off the waitlist

ended up getting waitlisted! I wonder how many people they would take off the waitlist
what number are you on the waitlist? i'm number 28. I heard that they drop on average 7-10 on the waitlist each month, and that last year they went up to #41.

what number are you on the waitlist? i'm number 28. I heard that they drop on average 7-10 on the waitlist each month, and that last year they went up to #41.

lol unfortunately I am 82nd so it will be a lot of luck and drops to get to me.

lol unfortunately I am 82nd so it will be a lot of luck and drops to get to me.

I'm even further down on the waitlist so I'm :hello: to my chances of getting in lol

I am number 17 on the waitlist. I hope I have a chance! Good luck everyone!

I was accepted and will be attending SMU!!! Super excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone started a facebook page yet? Congratulations on those that got accepted! Can't wait to meet y'all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been #6 on the waitlist for 2 months now. I keep getting updates but my number is not going down. Anyone know what's going on here?

Hi! I’m thinking about applying to smu this upcoming cycle and knowing that they don’t do interviews now I’m just wondering what people’s stats were and what you think made you stand out for those that were accepted. Any feedback would help thanks!

Hi! I’m thinking about applying to smu this upcoming cycle and knowing that they don’t do interviews now I’m just wondering what people’s stats were and what you think made you stand out for those that were accepted. Any feedback would help thanks!

My experience as an aide....5 years in 5 different PT settings. And I took the essays very seriously. They make you write 5 essays. It took me a month to write all the essays. They take the essays VERY seriously and to them the essays are equally important to your gpa and gre scores.

Does anyone know if a facebook page exists for our class yet?

I have been #6 on the waitlist for 2 months now. I keep getting updates but my number is not going down. Anyone know what's going on here?
I'm number 5 on the waitlist and it hasn't moved since the beginning! Unlucky year for us I guess.

It hasn't moved since the beginning?
That can't be right.
I got an email in January on saying I was number 5 on a WL of 151. I got another email saying the waitlist was moving along, but I assumed they meant people below me on the waitlist were withdrawing their spot because I remained number 5 and the waitlist was 137 or something like that.
.....lol dont make me paranoid that they somehow skipped me the whole time.......xD

I'm number 5 on the waitlist and it hasn't moved since the beginning! Unlucky year for us I guess.

Hi! To numbers 5 and 6 on the waitlist, I share your pain! I'm number 7 on the waitlist and that's been the same story for me. The email updates as to whether or not there's been any movement on the waitlist showed no movement, but I noticed that the total number of people on the waitlist dwindled down with each email update. To be fair to the admissions office, the email updates did mention to us waitlisters that we should expect movement "well into the summer months" (emphasis on the "well"). I know it's the end of August but could they really mean that movement will occur right before the program starts on September 10th?

So I did a little research. Some PT programs in California started already this summer around June, but it looks like the majority of other programs will start this week as of Monday (8/20), and next week (8/27). That, to me, indicates that orientation for these programs were held last week and this week. Those who were accepted to SMU's program but have attended these orientations therefore already made their decisions to attend these other programs, which means I'm thinking we should hear back by the end of this week or next week. Remember, orientation is September 6th so we should definitely know before then. The wait is excruciating but let's be patient, guys! Keep those fingers crossed like I'm sure we've all been doing since late January/ February lol.

I’m sorry to hear about you all on the waitlist. Currently, our Facebook group consists of 41 members 2 of which I believe are first year students. I’m not sure if this information is helpful but I thought I’d throw that out there.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm not sure if this is a lost cause because it appears, at the present moment, as though it's just a bad year for waitlisters, especially considering orientation was held today and the first day of class is Monday. But for my own piece of mind I thought I'd ask anyone if they've shared the same or similar experience. Have any of the waitlisters heard anything back? I emailed Kasie last Monday August 27th and got an automated email response back stating she was out of the office until September 4th (this past Tuesday), I'm assuming for Labor Day weekend. Tuesday came around and I didn't hear back from her. I reached out again just yesterday confirming whether or not she got my original email. Still nothing. I thought I would get at least a "yes" or "no" by yesterday since orientation was today, but no response and therefore no update.

Has this happened to anyone else? Was anyone else on the waitlist, perhaps higher up than me on the waitlist, able to attend orientation today? Is it safe to assume if we haven't heard anything back that we should consider working on applications for the 2018-2019 cycle? I'd like to get a confirmed answer from SMU before I start shelling out money for applications. Help! It's been a tough week and I'm curious as to whether or not I'm the only one!