Samuel Merritt fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeDor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying for this upcoming fall? The deadline is November 1st and was wondering when people and trying to submit their OTCAS app. I want to put as many OT hours in there as possible and work on my essay before I send it in.

Also, anyone going to the information session on the 20th??

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone applying for this upcoming fall? The deadline is November 1st and was wondering when people and trying to submit their OTCAS app. I want to put as many OT hours in there as possible and work on my essay before I send it in.

Also, anyone going to the information session on the 20th??
Hi- I am applying to it for sure. But I need to work on my statement and I have a couple of classes in progress! I want to come to the session but haven't rsvped yet.

Do you plan on taking a public speaking course? I was contemplating taking it this upcoming spring, but don't know if it's worth it since it is not required.

When do you plan on submitting your application? I'm shooting for October 1st...

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to threadjack, did you guys take a critical thinking course for the prereqs or are two composition classes enough? I wasnt sure because the requirements say composition/critical thinking

I took two english composition/writing classes. I assume that will suffice; I think I'll ask them during the information meeting. That didn't cross my mind. Thanks.

I'm planning to apply by October also. I took 2 English comp classes and a communication class that had public speaking so I think I'm covered. I emailed to attend the info session but still no answer. Did you guys got conformation or something?

oh no they added physics as a requirement ): why is this becoming so hard?!!!

I believe physics can be taken online though.

For anyone that went to the session this week, what did you all think of the program?

The teachers seemed to be very good and the actual classes interesting and hands on. I'm definitely applying.

I'm very eager to see what their program is all about and considering it as one of my top choices. Teachers were enthusiastic (but I guess what professor isn't) and the curriculum seems very thorough. I really enjoyed the research element that they are trying to bring into the coursework. Also, two year academia plus a fall fieldwork semester is a plus.

The price is a big downfall though..

Has anyone received an email from SMU? Like an interview invite or that your app is being fowarded to MOT admissions to be reviewed?

Has anyone received an email from SMU? Like an interview invite or that your app is being fowarded to MOT admissions to be reviewed?
I got an email a couple of weeks ago saying that my app was under review and would hear from them in 3-5 weeks. But I am trying to look for that email now and can't find it so I am doubting myself and my sanity! Lol. Their interviews happen the 2 first weekend of January so I am pretty sure we should hear around the holidays if you are being asked for an interview or not.

Found it- received Nov 26 it said this:
"Thank you for your application to the Master of Occupational Therapy program at Samuel Merritt University. We have received your application and have now commenced our process for consideration for admission. A status update will be emailed to you in 3-5 weeks. Please do not contact the office prior to this time period."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Hi, I received an interview from SMU. I also received an email recently from them showing what prereqs I had completed/missing, rec letter & OT hours completions ect.

Good luck to everyone, I know this is a super nerve wrecking experience.

Hi, I received an interview from SMU. I also received an email recently from them showing what prereqs I had completed/missing, rec letter & OT hours completions ect.

Good luck to everyone, I know this is a super nerve wrecking experience.
Hi- when did you send your application? How long did it take for you to receive an interview after that please?

Hi- when did you send your application? How long did it take for you to receive an interview after that please?

I turned in my app Oct 17th and got the interview email November 28th

I turned in my app Oct 17th and got the interview email November 28th
Now I am all stressed/bummed because I turned my application Oct 16th and didn't get asked for an interview - just a confirmation email that they got my app :(

Now I am all stressed/bummed because I turned my application Oct 16th and didn't get asked for an interview - just a confirmation email that they got my app :(

Hey, you never know the process they go through when picking people for interviews. Don't be bummed, there's still more time for them to invite more people!! Also, no news doesn't mean bad news.. you're still in the running :)

Keep your head up!

Hey, you never know the process they go through when picking people for interviews. Don't be bummed, there's still more time for them to invite more people!! Also, no news doesn't mean bad news.. you're still in the running :)

Keep your head up!
You're right. I just hate this waiting game!! Lol

Keep your head up!

Do you mind sharing your stats please?

Do you mind sharing your stats please?

I graduated with a degree in Molecular Biology in June 2011, GPA: 3.02
Last 60 credits: 3.6
Prereq GPA: ~3.9

I worked with an ABA program senior year of college doing at home work with a young man with autism.
Also, went to Honduras through Global Brigades giving medical aid after graduation.
Since graduating I work at a neurofeedback clinic with children with different attention disorders ect.
When I turned in my OTCAS I had 150 hours in a school setting and at a hand therapy clinic.

I was really concerned about my bachelor's GPA, but goes to show it's not all about GPA.

I graduated with a degree in Molecular Biology in June 2011, GPA: 3.02
Last 60 credits: 3.6
Prereq GPA: ~3.9

I worked with an ABA program senior year of college doing at home work with a young man with autism.
Also, went to Honduras through Global Brigades giving medical aid after graduation.
Since graduating I work at a neurofeedback clinic with children with different attention disorders ect.
When I turned in my OTCAS I had 150 hours in a school setting and at a hand therapy clinic.

I was really concerned about my bachelor's GPA, but goes to show it's not all about GPA.

Thank you for sharing. And you definitely have a unique experience. Good to know it wasn't all GPA!

I got my interview date today. For anyone wondering or for future applicants, I submitted my OTCAS app around the first of nov, got verified a month later, and then notified by email that they are reviewing it ten days later, and got offered an interview today.

I got my interview date today. For anyone wondering or for future applicants, I submitted my OTCAS app around the first of nov, got verified a month later, and then notified by email that they are reviewing it ten days later, and got offered an interview today.

Mine was verified mid November and got email nov 26 that they are reviewing my app. Doesn't look good because I haven't heard a word... :(

Did you get email or mail interview request?

I got an email. Don't worry, the interviews aren't until mid Jan so hopefully they are still giving out invitations as we speak! I really hope you hear from them soon! Keep your head up! :)

Will you be attending SMU this fall?

Where else did you apply/ get accepted?