General Admissions & OTCAS SAMUEL MERRITT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherlockfan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard from Samuel Merritt yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone heard from Samuel Merritt yet?

Not yet!! Dying to hear back as this is my #1 choice. In previous years posts the first people to hear back was around Nov 7-10th ish so if they are on track they should begin contacting people for interviews next week for Dec interviews . And then the second group would hear back in Dec for Jan interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email inviting me to an interview either on December 2nd or January 20th. I'm not sure how Samuel Merritt reviews their applications, but I submitted mine on the last possible day.

I just got an email inviting me for an interview as well! Is the school based off rolling admissions? Will it hurt us to pick the later interview day of January 20?

I just got an email inviting me for an interview as well! Is the school based off rolling admissions? Will it hurt us to pick the later interview day of January 20?

No I don't believe they are, so I don't think there's any harm to choosing the later date. Either way, I'm definitely going to have to do it Jan 20 date because I'm out of town the weekend of Dec 2nd. It's odd to me how big of a gap there is between interview dates.

I just got an email inviting me to an interview either on December 2nd or January 20th. I'm not sure how Samuel Merritt reviews their applications, but I submitted mine on the last possible day.

I got that email too!! So excited and nervous!

No I don't believe they are, so I don't think there's any harm to choosing the later date. Either way, I'm definitely going to have to do it Jan 20 date because I'm out of town the weekend of Dec 2nd. It's odd to me how big of a gap there is between interview dates.
I'm probably going to choose Jan 20 date as well. I have an interview with St. Augustine this Friday and it's my top choice, so if I get into that school, I will most likely withdraw my application from Samuel Merritt even before the actual interview date.

me too...I'm gonna pick Jan 2nd. Super excited

Congrats!!! I did not receive an email today, unfortunately! But I don't get how their doing this application process this year with the choosing of the interview dates! Not sure if anyone has ideas on if there is only one batch of emails going out?

I received an email today also for an interview! Ill be choosing the Dec 2nd option!

Congrats!!! I did not receive an email today, unfortunately! But I don't get how their doing this application process this year with the choosing of the interview dates! Not sure if anyone has ideas on if there is only one batch of emails going out?

I’m not sure it seems like they have done it differently this year from past years

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an email yesterday offering me two choices for an interview. I am requesting the December 2nd date. So exciting. Good luck to everyone.

I also got an email yesterday offering me two choices for an interview. I am requesting the December 2nd date. So exciting. Good luck to everyone.

You interviewed last year right?? Any info you can give on how they go?

Hi! I also received an interview. I called Mr. Ward to schedule my interview date, and said he was going to send me a confirmation email but never did. Did he send you guys a confirmation email with the map of the interview and time?

Hi! I also received an interview. I called Mr. Ward to schedule my interview date, and said he was going to send me a confirmation email but never did. Did he send you guys a confirmation email with the map of the interview and time?

Yes I got that confirmation email . Maybe send him an email and let him know you didn’t receive it

You interviewed last year right?? Any info you can give on how they go?
Hello sorry for the delay! I will be around this weekend and absolutely can share my experience from last year on here then.

Hello sorry for the delay! I will be around this weekend and absolutely can share my experience from last year on here then.

Awesome thanks so much! Are u from the Bay Area too?

Hi all! I am sure nerves are running high with the first set of interviews this Saturday! This is from last years SMU's forum, from two applicants who had just been interviewed and I don't think I could have said it any better:

I had an interview December 3rd. It was a lax environment, and everyone was very kind and truly there to present as much information as possible. The faculty really did just want to meet us and make sure that we would be a good fit for the university and that we really had considered our reasons for wanting to become an OT. The writing sample is pretty easy, it's not another personal statement. The interview itself only takes about ten minutes, and I was actually free to go after just 2 hours, although I chose to stay and ask the current students milling around questions. They were very open and honest. It is a very expensive program in the middle of a downtown big city, but everyone attending LOVES it, says it is worth it a million times over, and cannot say enough good things about it. I was expecting a much more anxious environment, but I would say to just relax and be yourself. Good luck to all! 

I was there on the 3rd too! I totally agree with your description. It is a short interview. They ask everyone the same 5 questions so that the process is fair. Before going, and given that we all have volunteer experiences that range from pediatrics to geriatrics to psych, I was worried about the topic of the essay. It was OT related, but something that everyone could answer despite different backgrounds. I was impressed with the number of current students that were there to answer everyone's questions. They gave honest, informative answers, and were very friendly. I think they also helped to reduce the potential stress of the group by keeping us entertained/distracted while waiting for our turn to interview

I was incredibly nervous last year and honestly still am haha. The morning starts with the writing piece, and then you are split into groups based on when your interview is. The first half of interviewees will stay in the main meeting room and be able to talk with current students and ask questions, which was incredibly helpful in calming nerves and all of them were genuinely caring and truly there to help. The other half will go on a campus tour. Once you have your interview you are free to leave or can stay and talk more. Hopefully this helps, and again sorry about the delay. Best luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome thanks so much! Are u from the Bay Area too?
I have been up here for the last two years, from Carmel/Big Sur originally. Are you Oakland based? When are you interviewing? Maybe we will be there together :)

I have been up here for the last two years, from Carmel/Big Sur originally. Are you Oakland based? When are you interviewing? Maybe we will be there together :)

Thanks so much for all the info!!

Yes I am super nervous bc this is my number 1 choice and I want to go here so bad!! I wonder if we will be together! That would be cool. I’m coming in at 8am Saturday.

I’m from the east bay - Concord / Walnut Creek Area so I am local!

Hi all! I am sure nerves are running high with the first set of interviews this Saturday! This is from last years SMU's forum, from two applicants who had just been interviewed and I don't think I could have said it any better:

I was incredibly nervous last year and honestly still am haha. The morning starts with the writing piece, and then you are split into groups based on when your interview is. The first half of interviewees will stay in the main meeting room and be able to talk with current students and ask questions, which was incredibly helpful in calming nerves and all of them were genuinely caring and truly there to help. The other half will go on a campus tour. Once you have your interview you are free to leave or can stay and talk more. Hopefully this helps, and again sorry about the delay. Best luck to you all!

What is the writing piece like? Is it difficult?

Hi All! I hope your interviews went well! I wanted to know what you thought of the interview and what to expect?

Hi All! I hope your interviews went well! I wanted to know what you thought of the interview and what to expect?
Hey there!
I interviewed last week. The day started with a writing sample (approx 35 min), it was fairly straightforward, doesn't require specific OT knowledge. Just a test of your ability to comprehend the material. They took interviewees in 20-minute blocks to interview (anytime between 9:20am-11:40am) with 2 faculty and 2 current students. There's a student-led campus tour while you're waiting.
Interview is 5 questions, you have will 10 minutes to get through all 5, it goes by quickly. Questions are pretty straightforward - what drew you to OT, what would you do in certain situations, etc. After your interview, you are free to go.

I got a call this Friday letting me know I was accepted! I was super surprised since they set the expectations that acceptances wouldn't go out until after the January interviews.

What is the writing piece like? Is it difficult?

It's pretty simple. You are given an article to read, then you write a synopsis. They are looking at spelling, grammar, brevity, relevance, and comprehension. You're going to do great!

Hey there!
I interviewed last week. The day started with a writing sample (approx 35 min), it was fairly straightforward, doesn't require specific OT knowledge. Just a test of your ability to comprehend the material. They took interviewees in 20-minute blocks to interview (anytime between 9:20am-11:40am) with 2 faculty and 2 current students. There's a student-led campus tour while you're waiting.
Interview is 5 questions, you have will 10 minutes to get through all 5, it goes by quickly. Questions are pretty straightforward - what drew you to OT, what would you do in certain situations, etc. After your interview, you are free to go.

I got a call this Friday letting me know I was accepted! I was super surprised since they set the expectations that acceptances wouldn't go out until after the January interviews.

omg congrats! that was fast. I wonder when everyone else will hear back

My friend and I both interviewed on the 2nd and received calls on Friday that we were accepted also!

In regards to the interview and writing @kat7575 pretty much covered it. I would say I thought they would ask more OT specific questions but really it was just what life experiences led you to OT and why Samuel Merritt OT program. The other three were related to ethics and handling conflict/challenges.

For those accepted, do you know when your deadline to make a decision is?

For those accepted, do you know when your deadline to make a decision is?
And are you all deciding to attend?

I was told I would get an email with further details - haven't received it yet. I'm sure the deadline will be in there. I'm undecided right now, but if I choose SMU I don't have to move which is a huge plus!

@kat7575 i found emails in my junk folder this morning regarding the acceptance. So the emails may be there!

@applic_able i was told on the phone that I had 10 days from receiving the email to decide; however, if I needed more time to then contact them

@OTdreamers Wow thank you for letting me! I just found them hanging out in there ;) Congratulations to you!

Hi Everyone, I have an interview on Jan 13. I was wondering if anyone could describe what type of attire they wore (for girls) or what you would recommend wearing now that you've been through the process. I am also pretty nervous but excited because this is my top choice. Any extra advice about the interview that hasn't been mentioned would be amazing! Also do you think that there are still spots left since I'm seeing that people already interviewed and got acceptances. Congrats on that if you've been accepted already!

Hi Everyone, I have an interview on Jan 13. I was wondering if anyone could describe what type of attire they wore (for girls) or what you would recommend wearing now that you've been through the process. I am also pretty nervous but excited because this is my top choice. Any extra advice about the interview that hasn't been mentioned would be amazing! Also do you think that there are still spots left since I'm seeing that people already interviewed and got acceptances. Congrats on that if you've been accepted already!

Everyone was in business casual wear, something you would wear to a job interview, blazer and slacks and nice top etc.

Yes there should be tons of spots left, I believe they picked a select few that were outstanding that they already admitted. I still haven't heard anything yet from them and don't see why they would interview people if there were no spots left. Interview is very quick and short. This is my top choice too! good luck!

My interview was last Saturday am. Anxiously waiting for a decision... Has anyone else from the 1/13 interview date heard anything yet?

My interview was last Saturday am. Anxiously waiting for a decision... Has anyone else from the 1/13 interview date heard anything yet?

I interviewed 12/2 and still haven’t heard back. From last years posts it seems like everyone heard back around the 25th. I feel ya I’ve been anxiously waiting for over a month!

I am so relieved that we are all in the same boat! I interviewed on 1/13 as well and have not heard anything yet! So anxious. I thought maybe I did not get in. Good luck to everyone!

I interviewed 12/2 and still haven’t heard back. From last years posts it seems like everyone heard back around the 25th. I feel ya I’ve been anxiously waiting for over a month!
Wow!!! That is such a long time to wait. I am anxious and it has only been a week! Kudos to you. Good luck!

Wow!!! That is such a long time to wait. I am anxious and it has only been a week! Kudos to you. Good luck!

Did they give your group an exact date ? They just told us that it would definitely be after your group interviews were reviewed as well and said by the end of jan

Did they give your group an exact date ? They just told us that it would definitely be after your group interviews were reviewed as well and said by the end of jan
Yes! They said by the end of this week, so I am assuming that means today but could also mean over the weekend.

Yes! They said by the end of this week, so I am assuming that means today but could also mean over the weekend.

Yes in the past some people heard on the weekend. Ugh I hope it’s soon , it’s my top choice school so I’ve been checking my email a lot just in case but still nothing :(

Of the applicants that HAVE been accepted, were you notified by phone or by email?

Yes in the past some people heard on the weekend. Ugh I hope it’s soon , it’s my top choice school so I’ve been checking my email a lot just in case but still nothing :(
Agreed!! This is the only program I applied to, super risky but it was my only choice. I have been stress checking my email lol! If I hear anything today I will respond.

Did you hear anything yet?!