San Antonio vs. UPENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smile Center

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Need you help. Which school would you prefer : UT San Antonio, or University of Pennsylvania.

Any comment will be apprciated

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

u penn , u penn and only u penn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! atleast that is what i think! and i am sure many of the others too!

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. Would you elaborate why? if you do not mind
u penn , u penn and only u penn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! atleast that is what i think! and i am sure many of the others too!

Members don't see this ad :)
i would say UT san antonio.....its a very small group there.....u'll hv more personal attention and would be more involved.....upenn has somewhere around 25 students where as at UT there r only 10!!

i would say UT san antonio.....its a very small group there.....u'll hv more personal attention and would be more involved.....upenn has somewhere around 25 students where as at UT there r only 10!!
good point. worth considering.

A class size of 10 vs 26 doesnt matter at the end cos in most schools the IDP incoming class merges with the 3rd yr DDS class anyways....
UPENN is a Ivy League school.... You are lucky to get in there... dont miss this opportunity!!

Good Luck!

what adds to the fact that upenn is a better school is cause its an ivy league. believe me people are dying to get in that school! atleast i am ! besides i have one of my close family member who graduated from there and we have all seen upenn and its campus and program very closely. i highly recommend dont miss the opputunity unless you are a texan and dont want to leave texas. the rest is upto you.

Man! It depends on what YOU want from these two years. I can't answer your question since I interviewed at UPENN but not at UTHSCSA. All I can say that UPENN which was on the top of my list before the interview (due to Ivy League reputation and family members being alumni) moved down under Tufts, UMN, and even NJ after the interview. It didn't seem "clinical enough" to me with D3's spending most of their time in the lab and complaning about the lack of chairs, the class is huge, and I didn't like the lack of privacy in their Turkish Hammam called "main clinic".

With cost, weather, and the city, there is a lot of things to think about. But you won't regret any decision you take since they both are awsome.

i am at PENN right now,
i agree that there are lots of issues like lack of chairs/paperwork & other trouble with clinics.
the ivy league status doesn't help at all .
i don't agree that D3 students waste time with lab work,
i did just 3 months of lab work in the summer.
we get to do a HUGE amount of patients & our teachers are very inspiring & helpful.
the patient pool is immense & the clinical experience is awesome.
plus it's pretty cheap in comparison to TUFTS & all CA schools.
the city has excellent public transportation so u don't need to buy a car rightaway,
also the living expenses are pretty manageable.
given a choice i will still accept PENN again!!! (as i did last year):thumbup:
i declined UTHSCSA interview last year after being accepted at PENN.
goodluck to all:)

First of all, thank you very much for all of these good suggestions. I appreciate it. One concern I have is the financial aspect.

In San Antonio, it is 40,000 less as compared to UPENN because I am a resident in Texas .

After graduation (DMD or DDS), how much does a dentist make? Will saving 40,000 make a difference in a long term when I will be practicing dentistry.

Friends, please make your contribution in solving this puzzle as you did before.

Thanks to all of you

First of all, thank you very much for all of these good suggestions. I appreciate it. One concern I have is the financial aspect.

In San Antonio, it is 40,000 less as compared to UPENN because I am a resident in Texas .

After graduation (DMD or DDS), how much does a dentist make? Will saving 40,000 make a difference in a long term when I will be practicing dentistry.

Friends, please make your contribution in solving this puzzle as you did before.

Thanks to all of you

If you are texan then the different is bigger. Remember the 19K summer course in UPENN vs 2.5K in UT. Anyway, I wouldn't think twice! 40K is too much and almost 25% of your education cost.

Thanks to all of you
$40,000 is a LOT of money (for me anyway) :) Think of all the additional interest you have pay also. It will add up.

Hi Smile Centre,
Congratulations and just to let you know that whatever you select really does not matter as both of the universities are world's top. Also visit this it might just help you http://toptennation.blogspot.com/2008/02/top-10-best-dental-schools-in-us-and.html.

Thanks to all of you

Last edited:
of course stick to san antonio if you are saving 40,000$
no doubt about it,
PENN or any other ivy league is not worth spending so much extra!!!
if you are selected in both these schools, you are an exceptional student & you will do good at any place you go.
stick close to your family, spend as little as possible on schooling & study as well as you can - you have a bright future ahead !!!!:)

I would stick to San Antonio..but better than that is UMN...amazing facilities top notch clinical traning, and also class size of 10 like San Ant.

good luck

Thanks Dents.

Clas size is not an issue because schools merge us with their third year class after 2 months. On the other side, I think that if we have more international dentists in a class, it promotes better working enviornment because we will be dealing with experienced classmates rather than with undergraduate dental students of 3rd year

I would stick to San Antonio..but better than that is UMN...amazing facilities top notch clinical traning, and also class size of 10 like San Ant.

good luck

Thanks, I like the way your expressed your thought.
of course stick to san antonio if you are saving 40,000$
no doubt about it,
PENN or any other ivy league is not worth spending so much extra!!!
if you are selected in both these schools, you are an exceptional student & you will do good at any place you go.
stick close to your family, spend as little as possible on schooling & study as well as you can - you have a bright future ahead !!!!:)