San Diego Adult Psychiatry Job Availability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F0nzie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a general sense of the job availability for Adult Psychiatry (inpatient, outpatient, whatever) in the San Diego area? Is it overly saturated? Seems like a desirable place to live despite the housing costs.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody have a general sense of the job availability for Adult Psychiatry (inpatient, outpatient, whatever) in the San Diego area? Is it overly saturated? Seems like a desirable place to live despite the housing costs.

TONS of psychiatrists here. Yet they all seem to be in high demand.

Two major psychiatric group practices --

PCSD and Psycare (they do inpatient and outpt coverage). There's also regularly work for San Diego County, there's the VA in La Jolla. Also central jail (downtown) and mutliple prisons. UCSD is the only academic game in town. Plenty of work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two major psychiatric group practices --

PCSD and Psycare (they do inpatient and outpt coverage). There's also regularly work for San Diego County, there's the VA in La Jolla. Also central jail (downtown) and mutliple prisons. UCSD is the only academic game in town. Plenty of work.

I am seriously contemplating my return to the 619/858...multiple prisons, plenty of work huh? AAPL next year is in Coronado, that was my back yard at NAS North Island. I do miss it.

what are the salaries like in SD? When you say plenty of work..do you really mean PLENTY?? Anyone who is there willing to elaborate?? thanks!

I think the salaries in SD are pretty high, I remember seeing so on one of those medscape surveys, if I find it I'll post it. Anecdotally my college roommate's father was a psychiatrist who did mostly addiction work for Kaiser, and they were doing really well, living on the hills near the Torrey Pines golf course in La Jolla. Beautiful place, I miss it terribly.