San Diego BOQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spang

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me just how far the NS San Diego BOQ is from Balboa and if or how I can get back and forth without a rental car. On the map it's only a couple of miles and it must be easily doable because my orders specifically do not authorize a rental car. (that was sarcasm)

spang

Members don't see this ad.

It would be a long walk and not all that safe as you walk outside the gate/fence. There is probably a shuttle- I know some ships had there own 13 Pax vans. The trolley could get you closer but then you'd still have to walk-in more than a mile. Is there a BOQ at Balboa? I don't know- but I would not trust your those who wrote your orders and did not give you a rental car.
I would say the rental car is necessary. Also, if you do get a car check into a nicer BOQ- 32nd Street is on the edge of the base and noisy due to traffic and nearby auto shops. Look at Q's on Coronado (NAB or North Island) or Pt. Loma.

Spang said:
Can anyone tell me just how far the NS San Diego BOQ is from Balboa and if or how I can get back and forth without a rental car. On the map it's only a couple of miles and it must be easily doable because my orders specifically do not authorize a rental car. (that was sarcasm)

spang

As a former HPSPer who did two rotations at Balboa let me give you the scoop on transportation. Before you get there, everyone's orders say no rental car. Once you show up they'll figure how many students they have, what kind of hours each has, and where they are staying (Admiral Kid, 32nd Street, North Island, etc.) If you didn't change your lodging assignment you'll probably be at 32nd street (next to the ghetto). On Monday, Robert and the folks at GME office at Balboa will try to figure out carpooling in groups of 2 or 3 people. They'll contact Bethesda, and change your orders, or someone in your group, so a car will be authorized. That could take until Wednesday or Thursday for your orders to be changed. While that's going on you have two options to get to work each day.
1. The safe option, take a cab each day you don't have a car, save the receipts, they'll reimburse them. This is what I did.
2. Rent a car on your own, when you get one authorized get your orders changed, keep the car for the duration of the rotation and they'll reimburse it. Stick with something on the cheap side, they probably won't pay for the Mustang Convertible.
3. Find the guy/gal who did option 2. and hitch a ride

Even if you do option 1., you pay the bill for the car and file for reimubrsement with your travel claim. Don't worry, they reimburse travel claims quicker than school stuff. In theory you could probably use public transit to get to the hospital, but it would be a pain. You'll get a car, it just might take a few days and your likely to share it.

If you have weekends off, I suggest you get a car with your own money so you can go play around. It's pretty cheap.

Anyway, any questions drop me a line. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thanks for the gouge. I'll probably spring for the rental car myself to be able to get around on the weekends!

spang

Hi, has much changed in the last few years? I'll be going to San Diego this June for a rotation, and was wondering if anyone has any new recommendations or suggestions for BOQ. Thanks!