San Diego Living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those living in San Diego, what do you think of the relative merits of the different neighborhoods? Should I live close and minimize my commute? Or should I live 15 minutes out but more cheaply? Or should I take a long commute and a relatively expensive apartment and live on mission beach? Any apartment complexes you would particularly recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

For those living in San Diego, what do you think of the relative merits of the different neighborhoods?

Any specific ones in mind? Any limiting factors, kids and schools, dog parks, spouse work, etc.

Should I live close and minimize my commute? Or should I live 15 minutes out but more cheaply?

Relates to #1, and what do you want? I would cover your needs/wants of your location first. Do you want a biigger place, "urban living," on the beach, etc. I don't know where you're living now, but commuting here isn't too bad. If you want to be able to stumble down to fun party scene on your days and evenings off then PB or Gas lamp/would be a good choice. Do you want to live close then North Park, bankers hill are good choice. Beach your thing, PB, OB, mission beach, Coronado.

Or should I take a long commute and a relatively expensive apartment and live on mission beach?

Its not that long of commute. I know of residents who commute from quite a bit further than mission beach.

Any apartment complexes you would particularly recommend?

Nope.

Agree with above that it completely depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I live in South Park/Golden Hill area, which most people who haven't spent much time here haven't heard of. For me it's perfect, I can ride my bike to work in 5-10 minutes, easy walk to some awesome bars, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. but it's much quieter than living downtown or PB. It's also a quick trip to downtown or North Park. Best part is, I pay half of what most other interns are paying for rent (granted it's a pretty small 1 bedroom place).