San Diego Phones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a phone and/or provider and gets reliable reception inside Navy Hospital San Diego? My Tmobile might as well have been a brick during my audition rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

NMCSD doesn't have pagers, they are part of the 21st century and you carry a cell phone. Specifically one from Sprint, who has outfitted the hospital with boosters throughout. Although for the most part my Verizon private phone did fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
NMCSD doesn't have pagers, they are part of the 21st century and you carry a cell phone. Specifically one from Sprint, who has outfitted the hospital with boosters throughout. Although for the most part my Verizon private phone did fine.

Command sponsored cell phones in my opinion suck. It's another phone to have to carry and if in addition there is a separate 'call' phone you could potentially be carrying three phones.....yippee

Yup, NMCP has crappy one way pagers. Your personal pagers can receive text pages, the call pagers are one line alphanumeric only. Much prefer the NMCSD cell phones and ability to be able to text back and forth instead of having to find a phone every time you're paged.

Command sponsored cell phones in my opinion suck. It's another phone to have to carry and if in addition there is a separate 'call' phone you could potentially be carrying three phones.....yippee

It's no different than the call pagers. When on call you have your personal pager, the code pager, the cards admissions pager, and the medicine admissions pager. It looks like a suicide belt.

It's no different than the call pagers. When on call you have your personal pager, the code pager, the cards admissions pager, and the medicine admissions pager. It looks like a suicide belt.

Yes, but pagers weigh about ten times less and you aren't expected to answer a pager immediately when it rings. You can finish your business in the bathroom without someone being all pissy about why you didn't answer by the second ring.

I much prefer the "I realize it may take a second to call me back "mentality of pagers.

As an attending I wonder what the expectation is about returning pages during off hours? Im in anesthesia.

Having been on both sides of this issue, I am definitely in the I hate pagers camp, and for exactly the reasons you mention. I hate paging someone, that feeling anchored to the phone for the next 5 minutes while I can't page someone else. Plus the ability to send texts instead of having to page, wait for reply for inane discussion, saves those extra precious moments that I cherish spending spending with AHLTA doing Tcons. The joke used to be that that the only people who carried pagers were drug dealers and physicians. They wised up and bought iPhones while we stick with pagers that don't even necessarily work.

Another question: Does NMCSD have Wi-fi? If so how fast/reliable is it? Can I register my personal computer and phone for the hospital Wi-Fi network?

They do have wifi. It works in the wards. Doesn't work in the OR. Can use personal computer of iPhone/iPad. You can't permanently register, there is a web based fine terms of service and log in prompt that comes up every time.

On the iPhone