snman31

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
I was wondering if any current/recent past TYs could comment on the options for elective months at NMCSD. The options on the form are:

Anesthesiology
Radiology
Dermatology
Urology
Family Practice
Sports Medicine
Military Operational Medicine
Ophthalmology
Otolaryngology
Other:__________________

I'm guessing most of them are similar to thier civilian counterparts, but have no idea what military operational medicine is. Any info out there? Anyone do "Other"?

Thanks in advance.

RugbyJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I don't see some of those on the elective list I received--family practice and sports med I don't think were offered at San Deigo. Orthopedic sports med was as a fourth year elective, in which case your list should be a lot longer than those 9 unless you are not interested in the other areas.

Maybe I have the wrong list? Did you email them? If not I have contact info if you want.

snman31

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
I pulled those off of the document we got emailed titled "TY Elective Form.doc". It was sent out with a welcome aboard letter and a few other docs on Feb 9th. Which form are you looking at?

About the Ads

flightdoc165

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For military operational medicine, you will probably go to one of the local bases, such as Miramar, and work in clinic for the most part. You'll get to see some of what the GMO/FS experience is like. I think they may still have a sports medicine clinic at MCRD, evaluating and taking care of Marine Recruit injuries. This is a good experience if you're thinking about doing a tour with the Marines, because you get some good sports med experience as well as you get to learn a little about their culture/what they initially go through. As far as the other rotations at NMCSD, the experience is pretty comparable to what you'd see in a similar civilian TY rotation. Some, such as radiology and anesthesia, can be pretty cush if those aren't the specialties you are really interested in, although if you are, you'd probably want to work hard anyways. I was a surgical, not TY, intern at NMCSD, but I had enough TY friends to get a good idea of the experience--they pretty much all enjoyed their year, good luck with yours!

RugbyJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I pulled those off of the document we got emailed titled "TY Elective Form.doc". It was sent out with a welcome aboard letter and a few other docs on Feb 9th. Which form are you looking at?

I got them from the contact person/clerkship coordinator at San Diego--the person listed in the fast facts. I emailed him to see what I could sign up for and he sent me it. I can give you his contact info...Ill ask about sports medicine when I apply to him. They have it as an ortho clerkship/elective.

If you want this individual's contact info I will send it to you.

RugbyJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I got them from the contact person/clerkship coordinator at San Diego--the person listed in the fast facts. I emailed him to see what I could sign up for and he sent me it. I can give you his contact info...Ill ask about sports medicine when I apply to him. They have it as an ortho clerkship/elective.

If you want this individual's contact info I will send it to you.

snman31

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the info - looks like there is a lot of flexibility but that they all will be good.

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was wondering if any current/recent past TYs could comment on the options for elective months at NMCSD. The options on the form are:

Anesthesiology
Radiology
Dermatology
Urology
Family Practice
Sports Medicine
Military Operational Medicine
Ophthalmology
Otolaryngology
Other:__________________

I'm guessing most of them are similar to thier civilian counterparts, but have no idea what military operational medicine is. Any info out there? Anyone do "Other"?

Thanks in advance.

The better question is what do you want to accomplish with your electives.

1) Line up a residency?
2) Prepare for the world of GMOdome?
3) Take cool stuff that is just interesting?

You goal should dictate the electives.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.