San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

met19

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So will be moving to San Diego from across the country.

advice where to live? traffic to Balboa? moonlighting? etc.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did my TY a few years ago, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I lived in Hillcrest, near Mercy hospital and was very happy with it. There are several apartment buildings in that neighborhood. I allowed 30 minutes door to door, and you won't do much better than that since there's really nothing within walking distance of the hospital. You can bike to work, and there are (were?) bike lockers at the hospital, but getting one was tough. Expect traffic wherever you choose to live, but if you're close enough that you don't have to get on an interstate you should be okay. I was afraid to live on Coronado because of traffic across the bridge. In retrospect that's not a big deal. However, finding an affordable place there is, and I hear rumors about making the bridge toll again.
Congratulations and good luck. There were days I hated being an intern, but never regretted being a transitional in San Diego.

I did my TY a few years ago, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I lived in Hillcrest, near Mercy hospital and was very happy with it. There are several apartment buildings in that neighborhood. I allowed 30 minutes door to door, and you won't do much better than that since there's really nothing within walking distance of the hospital. You can bike to work, and there are (were?) bike lockers at the hospital, but getting one was tough. Expect traffic wherever you choose to live, but if you're close enough that you don't have to get on an interstate you should be okay. I was afraid to live on Coronado because of traffic across the bridge. In retrospect that's not a big deal. However, finding an affordable place there is, and I hear rumors about making the bridge toll again.
Congratulations and good luck. There were days I hated being an intern, but never regretted being a transitional in San Diego.
intern year sucks for everyone. i remember my trauma calls...ugh still trying to suppress those memories.

thanks for the advice about hillcrest. 30 min door to door. thats great! currently i live in nyc and i leave 90 min prior to work (look for parking, just in case traffic, etc.). ill take 30 anyday

I'll be moving there as well for next year. I did undergrad in SD and can't wait to get back! I second Hillcrest as a good spot, it's a fun area and close to the hospital. I'd add to that list Mission Hills, Little Italy, Midtown, Mission and Fashion Valley and North Park with the caveat that North Park and Midtown have good and bad areas, so you'd want to see it before signing a lease. Also second the idea that it's better to avoid freeway traffic on the way to the hospital. You'll have traffic anywhere, but sidestreet traffic tends to be more predictable so you can plan your morning better.