San Francisco EM conference..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountaindew2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a third year is it necessary for us to attend this event? I'm only a 3rd year, and some kids in our class make it sound like its a must to go to these things since a lot of PDs, etc will be there. My question is this. Given the fact that numerous potential EM applicants will be there and they'll all try hoarding PD when there are opportunities...is their any particular benefit in going to this thing?

Members don't see this ad.

mountaindew2006 said:
As a third year is it necessary for us to attend this event? I'm only a 3rd year, and some kids in our class make it sound like its a must to go to these things since a lot of PDs, etc will be there. My question is this. Given the fact that numerous potential EM applicants will be there and they'll all try hoarding PD when there are opportunities...is their any particular benefit in going to this thing?
Necessary? Of course not.

Helpful in residency hunting? Quite possibly, if you go out of your way to talk to PDs.

Educational? Doubtful. Most of the topics and talks will be way beyond your level of education. I went to the ACEP Scientific Assembly as a medical student as well, and while interesting most of the educational programs were almost completely incomprehensible to me.

The medical student section has a meeting at the SA as well, IIRC which could be helpful as well.

Was the med student day and residency fair worth it? I'm going regardless, but I'm only staying for 2 conference days after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am going to attend this. Any insight on the residency fair?
I especially would like to know what type of information is given out at the medical student forum held from 1:30 until 4 pm that day. Thanks!!!

Just got back from ACEP (damn you, Medicine sub-I)...

If you have the money and time, I would recommend anybody who's going to be a 4th year to go next year... it's a good opportunity to schmooze and it's pretty fun.

The medical student sessions were fair... went over very basic stuff. The most important thing I got out of it was that, yes, plain white shirts are the way to go. But, it definitely wasn't useful for 3rd years, and maybe even marginally useful for a lot of 4th years.

The best thing about this was the residency fair. First you get to show your face to all your away rotations folks. Next, you really get to check out programs you're interested in... I was surprised at how much one-on-one face time I got with PDs... even the most coveted programs had empty tables for periods of time... I pretty much just popped into empty tables most of the time and still hit almost all of the places I was planning to. I think I may have bought myself 1-3 interviews just by chatting with people there.

I'm just bummed that I had to come back so soon to finish up my inpatient sub-I... so sad.

oh yeah... call me 'drug company *****', but I also picked up a couple dozen decent pens (one engraved :D ) and a pair of trauma scissors and a pair of ortho scissors... :thumbup:

ah... the simple pleasures of med student life...

dlung said:
oh yeah... call me 'drug company *****', but I also picked up a couple dozen decent pens (one engraved :D )

Gotta love the Geodon pens.

I agree that the residency fair was very useful. Didn't you feel like we were going to pick up some shaving tips at any moment during the student forum? :)

BTW, I'm still in San Fran. We actually had some sun for a little bit today.

Take care,
Jeff