Program-Specific Info / Q's San José State University 2016-17 Admission Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HME4OT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SJSU Hopefuls!

I just wanted to create a thread specifically for the upcoming admission cycle to SJSU that all applicants could participate in while we pass the time awaiting our acceptance letters. :)

Application questions, stats, correspondence, tips, news, etc are all welcome here!

I'll start:

OTCAS app submitted on 9/12, it was verified by 9/17.
OT Dept app materials submitted on 9/17, receipt confirmed 9/20.
GAPE app submitted on 10/1, got MySJSU login today (10/8), status is "Complete".

EDIT: Status "referred to grad dept" on 10/10.

How about everyone else? I'm so excited to finally be applying to this program, it's been my focus for several years now (with a couple breaks to have my 2 kiddos). I wish you all the very best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! Thanks for starting this thread!
I don't like to focus on stats too much, because I know it tends to increase my anxiety and I can't be the only one feeling this way, haha! I will just say that I met the reqs for SJSU to apply, so that's a start :)

I'm applying to a LOT of schools, but as a CA resident, this is my only CA app, and hence, my 1 shot at an affordable in-state tuition. Being accepted would be a gamechanger not only financially, but the faculty is absolutely incredible.

3 separate apps are all in: OTCAS ver 8/9, OT packet delivered priority mail 9/30 (hoping to confirm receipt of this to ease my mind), GAPE submitted 10/1. Official transcripts are en route, so my portal status says INCOMPLETE at this time.

Luckily (or not so luckily), lots of other essays to write and 2 interviews to attend this month for other schools to keep my mind occupied, as March is a looong ways off! Maybe they will release decisions on a rolling basis?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if receipt of official GRE scores is visible somewhere on our portal? Would like to be able to tell they are "in" but don't see it listed on To Do list (or anywhere else?).

Members don't see this ad :)
My application status is now "Referred to Grad Dept"

Does anyone know if receipt of official GRE scores is visible somewhere on our portal? Would like to be able to tell they are "in" but don't see it listed on To Do list (or anywhere else?).
Can you check your GRE page and see the status there?

I got a question, would you be able to submit the OTCAS application even though you haven't competed the Personal Statement yet?
Would I be able add the personal statement to the application after I have already submitted it?

And another question, would SJSU only have you on file once EVERYTHING (materials sent directly to OT department, OTCAS application, and GAPE materials) is turned it? I have just recently sent out the application packet directly to the SJSU OT department (first page of OTCAS, GRE scores, personal statement, and volunteer evaluations). I had also just recently submitted the OTCAS application, however, it is still being verified.

Because SJSU only accepts applications on a rolling basis, I'm just afraid that the verification of the OTCAS application is going to delay me.

Can you check your GRE page and see the status there?
Doesn't look like it. ETS just changed their whole site, and all you can see is your order and order #--no confirm/date of when it was sent out or that schools received :/
liked the old interface better...

My application status is now "Referred to Grad Dept"
Thanks for keeping us updated on the process and the turn around!
I went to post office today to priority mail transcripts and forgot--P.O. closed for Colombus Day, sigh ~

I got a question, would you be able to submit the OTCAS application even though you haven't competed the Personal Statement yet?
Would I be able add the personal statement to the application after I have already submitted it?

And another question, would SJSU only have you on file once EVERYTHING (materials sent directly to OT department, OTCAS application, and GAPE materials) is turned it? I have just recently sent out the application packet directly to the SJSU OT department (first page of OTCAS, GRE scores, personal statement, and volunteer evaluations). I had also just recently submitted the OTCAS application, however, it is still being verified.

Because SJSU only accepts applications on a rolling basis, I'm just afraid that the verification of the OTCAS application is going to delay me.

I don't think OTCAS will let you pay and submit to programs without including a PS (if I understood the first question correctly).
I wouldn't stress about time to verification--SJSU's deadline is Feb and yes, as rolling admissions, they could fill before then, but they do state they don't even start accepting apps until 10/1, so even if verification takes 2-3 weeks, you should be fine, as you have everything else in already! Good luck!

Do you guys think it's okay to send in transcripts and GRE scores before submitting the OTCAS and csumentor apps?

I wouldn't risk submitting an incomplete application to OTCAS. I am pretty sure some parts of the application lock after it's submitted. You can add more experiences, classes, etc, but I'd def check with OTCAS on that. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you upload it? If you sent it to the Department, it's done, I assume?

SJSU will have a file for you, but they will only review it once all of your materials are received and verified (GAPE, dept, OTCAS).

Doesn't look like it. ETS just changed their whole site, and all you can see is your order and order #--no confirm/date of when it was sent out or that schools received :/
liked the old interface better...
That stinks. If MySJSU is saying you're good, I'd say they arrived and everything is fine. Especially if your app status is "complete".

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called OTCAS and they said that right now is the peak time for OTCAS applications and that it would take up to four weeks for the transcripts to be successfully verified on OTCAS.

I am assuming that my application won't get reviewed until the first week of November. But hopefully that's not too bad since SJSU will at least have me on file.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all!

Submitted OTCAS on 9/04, verified by 9/08
Submitted/Sent OT Dept. materials on 10/1, arrival confirmed on 10/4
Submitted GAPE on 10/1, MY SJSU ID received 10/10, referred to grad. dept. on 10/10!

Good luck everyone!

Wow! You are all awesome for having submitted and verified everything already!

OTCAS app submitted on 10/3, verified 10/12 (OTCAS notified me on 10/10 that my application was undelivered because I entered my coursework prefixes incorrectly--I fixed it in the same day, resubmitted, and they were able to fully verify my application within the next couple days. Just thought I'd include that, in case anyone else encounters a similar problem!)
OT Dept. Materials hand-delivered on Oct. 1st; still need to confirm if they were received
Submitted GAPE on 10/1, still sending in transcripts

I just spent the afternoon reading through last year's SJSU forum. Sounded like a lot of people last year didn't get their acceptance/rejection letters until March/April, so we'll see if the same timeline follows for this year, too. Does anyone know if they give acceptance letters by snail mail still? Or have they switched over to email?

Best of luck to everyone!

Wow! You are all awesome for having submitted and verified everything already!

OTCAS app submitted on 10/3, verified 10/12 (OTCAS notified me on 10/10 that my application was undelivered because I entered my coursework prefixes incorrectly--I fixed it in the same day, resubmitted, and they were able to fully verify my application within the next couple days. Just thought I'd include that, in case anyone else encounters a similar problem!)
OT Dept. Materials hand-delivered on Oct. 1st; still need to confirm if they were received
Submitted GAPE on 10/1, still sending in transcripts

I just spent the afternoon reading through last year's SJSU forum. Sounded like a lot of people last year didn't get their acceptance/rejection letters until March/April, so we'll see if the same timeline follows for this year, too. Does anyone know if they give acceptance letters by snail mail still? Or have they switched over to email?

Best of luck to everyone!
I received my acceptance via email and then a letter in the mail a couple days later. I got my acceptance in April, but I think they were behind last cycle in getting them out. Hopefully you all hear back sooner! Best of luck!

Also, I have another question for y'all. I submitted my GAPE application and received my student ID. My GAPE application status is still showing as "incomplete." In my SJSU to-do list, there's one item listed that says "Work in Progress." I realized that this item is because I am currently taking two prerequisite classes, and I will need to submit my transcripts with these courses once they're completed on December 15th.

Does anyone know if the OT Department still reviews applications even though the GAPE application indicates that it's incomplete? I've already submitted+verified my OTCAS app and OT Department materials. It would really stink to have to wait until my prerequ classes are done in order for my application to be considered--I'm hoping this isn't the case!

I sent an email to the OT advising department about this concern, but given how busy they must be right now, I'm guessing I probably won't hear a reply for a while. So I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue! Thanks!

I received my acceptance via email and then a letter in the mail a couple days later. I got my acceptance in April, but I think they were behind last cycle in getting them out. Hopefully you all hear back sooner! Best of luck!

Wow, April is pretty late! Yeah, hopefully they are able to send them out sooner. Thank you for letting me know! :) Are you currently enrolled in the program?

Also, I have another question for y'all. I submitted my GAPE application and received my student ID. My GAPE application status is still showing as "incomplete." In my SJSU to-do list, there's one item listed that says "Work in Progress." I realized that this item is because I am currently taking two prerequisite classes, and I will need to submit my transcripts with these courses once they're completed on December 15th.

Does anyone know if the OT Department still reviews applications even though the GAPE application indicates that it's incomplete? I've already submitted+verified my OTCAS app and OT Department materials. It would really stink to have to wait until my prerequ classes are done in order for my application to be considered--I'm hoping this isn't the case!

I sent an email to the OT advising department about this concern, but given how busy they must be right now, I'm guessing I probably won't hear a reply for a while. So I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue! Thanks!
That's a really good question that I do not know the answer to, however, I can only venture to guess that plenty of applicants have work still in progress and planned... I'm sure the Dept will still review your app, but maybe will not definitively accept you until the GAPE app is complete and the status is "Referred to Dept".

That's a really good question that I do not know the answer to, however, I can only venture to guess that plenty of applicants have work still in progress and planned... I'm sure the Dept will still review your app, but maybe will not definitively accept you until the GAPE app is complete and the status is "Referred to Dept".
They will still review your application. Your acceptance will just be on the condition that you get a B or better in your outstanding prereqs (and that you send your transcripts to GAPE) and complete any outstanding volunteer hours.

Hi, has anyone emailed the grad admissions assistants and not heard back for an extended period?

No, but kinda freaking out waiting for my transcripts to be recognized as received on SJSU portal so admission status doesn't continue to say: Incomplete.

SJSU seems to have soooo many independent pieces that all need to go exactly right for good things to happen, it's a lot to keep track of (and seems moreso than other schools), but WE CAN DO THIS! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your input HME4OT and OTHopeful92! :) I got a response from the OT Department, and they confirmed that the 'incomplete' status of GAPE won't affect my application's eligibility, so it will still be reviewed even though the SJSU portal says I still have items on my to-do list. That's a huge relief!

Status "Referrred to Grad Dept"--yay!

Question: does anyone's portal say whether SJSU has received your official GRE score(s)? I don't see it anywhere, but will presume they're in, unless it shows up on the To Do List.

I
Status "Referrred to Grad Dept"--yay!

Question: does anyone's portal say whether SJSU has received your official GRE score(s)? I don't see it anywhere, but will presume they're in, unless it shows up on the To Do List.
I don't think you'd get referred to the grad dept unless all of your pieces are in.

my OTCAS application was verified on oct 13!
status on SJSU website : referred to grad department
called SJSU OT department and they said my application was time stamped.

now I just gotta sit back and relax!

Hi all,
I just emailed Amanda and she said they will start sending out notifications hopefully next week! Yay! Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,
I just emailed Amanda and she said they will start sending out notifications hopefully next week! Yay! Good luck everyone :)

Yep! I got the e-mail from Amanda this morning, confirming that my application is ready for review.

Submitted my OTCAS 8/25, submitted GAPE Oct 16, and my application status is "complete" as of about three hours ago :) Very hopeful for OT - hopefully will be hearing back within the month! Good luck everyone!!!

Has anyone heard back? My application says that it has been referred to the grad department, but I was never emailed from Amanda that said my application was ready for review, although I assume that it is

Has anyone heard back? My application says that it has been referred to the grad department, but I was never emailed from Amanda that said my application was ready for review, although I assume that it is
Yes, it took 5 weeks for me to get a response (through email), and just heard back from Amanda this morning that my application is complete. Hope you hear back soon.

Hi All!

So glad to find this place to interact with future SJSU OT students! I am a single mom in Santa Cruz. I have a background in Museums. I am only applying for SJSU because I can't move. I plan to commute over the hill.

Amanda confirmed that my application was received and date stamped 10/1/16 when I inquired via phone and email last week.

Has anyone heard when we can expect to find out if we are in? I've been telling people (because thats the first thing everyone asks me when I tell them I've applied) December, but really I have no clue!

Good Luck!

Hi All!

So glad to find this place to interact with future SJSU OT students! I am a single mom in Santa Cruz. I have a background in Museums. I am only applying for SJSU because I can't move. I plan to commute over the hill.

Amanda confirmed that my application was received and date stamped 10/1/16 when I inquired via phone and email last week.

Has anyone heard when we can expect to find out if we are in? I've been telling people (because thats the first thing everyone asks me when I tell them I've applied) December, but really I have no clue!

Good Luck!

I sent Amanda an e-mail about 2 weeks ago asking when decisions will be sent out; I still haven't heard a reply. That'd be great if we got our decisions in December though, I'm definitely hoping for that!!

Hi All!

Good Luck!

I'm in Scotts Valley and planning to commute too. Let's carpool if we both get in! Haha!

No idea when notifications will go out, but I bet they'll start rolling in pretty soon. The wait is pretty agonizing though.

Hi all,

I just received a conditional acceptance by email. I believe my application was verified by OTCAS on October 3 and time stamped by October 5.

Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I just received a conditional acceptance by email. I believe my application was verified by OTCAS on October 3 and time stamped by October 5.

Good luck, everyone!

Congrats!!!!! Would you mind sharing your stats, and whether or not you are a first or second year applicant?! Thanks :)

I received my acceptance today via email. I'm completely elated!!!

Hey y'all! Received my conditional acceptance today! Hope you guys hear good news and see you next year! I'm a first time applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I received my conditional acceptance email tonight. :) So excited and in shock. Can't wait to meet the new cohort, and wishing the best of luck to everyone!:soexcited:

Congrats to everyone admitted! Anyone mind posting your stats? :whistle:

Congrats to everyone admitted! Anyone mind posting your stats? :whistle:

Thank you so much! Sure, I'll share mine.

First year applicant
BA in American Studies from UCSC
3.5 GPA in last 60/90
All prereqs completed with A's
154v/152q/4.0w
170 hours in ARU (great Eval from OTR)
36 hours at Stroke Center
3 letters: OTR, Chair of Bio Dept, School Administrator

My personal statement was also strong. I spent a lot of time on it and got feedback from a lot of people. I included why I want to attend SJSU specifically over all the other programs.

Hope this helps!!! Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
sure

BA in Radio-television-film from SJSU
3.56 GPA
4.0 in prereqs
157 V, 146 Q, 5.0 AWA
200 hours in a hand therapy clinic, 70 in a skilled nursing facility
29 hours helping with vacation Bible school at my church
3 LOR from 2 OTR, 1 anatomy professor

Happy to be returning to SJSU! Just need to finish the prereqs!

Congratulations to those who received acceptances! Were you first time applicants or have you applied to SJSU in the past?

sure

BA in Radio-television-film from SJSU
3.56 GPA
4.0 in prereqs
157 V, 146 Q, 5.0 AWA
200 hours in a hand therapy clinic, 70 in a skilled nursing facility
29 hours helping with vacation Bible school at my church
3 LOR from 2 OTR, 1 anatomy professor

Happy to be returning to SJSU! Just need to finish the prereqs!

Question for you! Did you have your volunteer hour supervisor write your letters of rec? I though we we not supposed to have the same person who filled out our volunteer hour form write letter of rec? I would have had my OT volunteer work supervisor write a letter, but I needed him to fill out my volunteer verification form. :/

Congratulations to those who got their acceptance emails! That is truly an accomplishment.

Are there any others that have received emails? I'm having all sorts of emotions now, knowing I might hear soon. With rolling admissions though, it really could be ages until some of us hear! It's hard to live with the unknown.

Question for you! Did you have your volunteer hour supervisor write your letters of rec? I though we we not supposed to have the same person who filled out our volunteer hour form write letter of rec? I would have had my OT volunteer work supervisor write a letter, but I needed him to fill out my volunteer verification form. :/

Hi BG, The people who wrote my volunteer didn't do my LORs! I had separate people do that!

Congratulations to those accepted, that's really amazing! Sounds like you all had tons of volunteer hours--I'm worried that's the weakest part of my application since I've only done about 70 OT shadowing hours :( Trying to stay positive though! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!