San Juan Bautista School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does SJBSOM accept non-hispanic students from the mainland? I am not hispanic. However, I do speak spanish. My stats are 3.1+ cGPA and 3.3+ sGPA. I am scoring 25-27 in MCAT practice tests and I will take the real thing in january. I have a ton of healthcare experiences (RN) and I am gonna get some volunteer experiences under my belt by the the time I apply to medical school. Do I have any chances for SJBSOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does SJBSOM accept non-hispanic students from the mainland? I am not hispanic. However, I do speak spanish. My stats are 3.1+ cGPA and 3.3+ sGPA. I am scoring 25-27 in MCAT practice tests and I will take the real thing in january. I have a ton of healthcare experiences (RN) and I am gonna get some volunteer experiences under my belt by the the time I apply to medical school. Do I have any chances for SJBSOM?

Yes, SJBSOM is very welcoming to well-qualified applicants from the mainland. With the said, it is very important to know Spanish (as 99.9% of lectures are NOT in English). However, all exams taken are in English to simulate the USMLE. NBME Shelf exams are taken, as well. I would definitely get in contact with the Admission Officer, Jamie Sanchez, she is amazing! Good luck with all your apps!

Yes, SJBSOM is very welcoming to well-qualified applicants from the mainland. With the said, it is very important to know Spanish (as 99.9% of lectures are NOT in English). However, all exams taken are in English to simulate the USMLE. NBME Shelf exams are taken, as well. I would definitely get in contact with the Admission Officer, Jamie Sanchez, she is amazing! Good luck with all your apps!
Thanks... Dont know what that mean well qualified applicants...I believe I am a well qualified applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks... Dont know what that mean well qualified applicants...I believe I am a well qualified applicant.

You'll be fine... all in all they are receptive to Non-hispanic applicants from the mainland US. Definitely get in close contact with Jamie Sanchez from admissions if your interested, she is very approachable. Good Luck with applications, if you have any other questions about SJB feel free to post questions

if you are fluent, then yes!!
85% speaking, 95% understanding. Dont know a better way to quantify my ability to speak or understand spanish. I mean that I can carry a normal conversation in spanish.

I just got an Interview invite!!!! I have to pick a date between Dec. 3 to 17. Any advice? How long should I plan to stay in PR? How much earlier than the interview date should I get there (most options are in the morning). What should I expect for the interview and how can I best prepare? Thanks!

I just got an Interview invite!!!! I have to pick a date between Dec. 3 to 17. Any advice? How long should I plan to stay in PR? How much earlier than the interview date should I get there (most options are in the morning). What should I expect for the interview and how can I best prepare? Thanks!

Congrats on your interview!! I have some advice for you...just be relaxed when coming. The interview format is conversational so the questions are really about your life experiences and the decision you've made about becoming a physician. Another advice (just in case), read about healthcare issues in Puerto Rico and the "the reform". Since it's a community-based medical school they want to know how much you know about current issues in Puerto Rico.

You should be fine! I suggest you stay at the Sheraton 4 points in Caguas, its a nice hotel and close to campus. I would just come the day before your interview date, but thats just me though. Good luck!

Are you hispanic? If you dont mind... Can you share your stats?

Are you hispanic? If you dont mind... Can you share your stats?

I'm not hispanic, but I'm a Spanish major and have spent lots of time in Latin America. My stats are not the best... 3.5 GPA 25P MCAT. The PR schools are my my top choices for med school.

Pistonsbball, thanks for the advice. Go Pistons! I'm from Ann Arbor.

I'm not hispanic, but I'm a Spanish major and have spent lots of time in Latin America. My stats are not the best... 3.5 GPA 25P MCAT. The PR schools are my my top choices for med school.
Your stats are very competitive for SJB because the average GPAs and MCAT were last year 3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, MCAT 17

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the minimum MCAT requirement is 19 (as stated on their website: http://www.sanjuanbautista.edu/Admissions.aspx ). I think those numbers are off. Where did you find them?
If you go to the school selection spreadsheet in the pre-allopathic forum, what are my chances (top of the page) you will see it. Here is the link:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527971
then click in the "second" attached file (School Selector 0910.xls). SJB is at the bottom of the page with these stats

hey jmp20, how did san juan invite you to an interview? was it by phone or email or the dreaded snail mail? thanks!

how do I get around? do I need to rent a car? taxi/bus? Thanks again

hey jmp20, how did san juan invite you to an interview? was it by phone or email or the dreaded snail mail? thanks!

I got an email. They gave me 5 dates to chose from.

from what i've read from lurking, everyone rents a car. set it up ahead of time with hotels.com or expedia and you can pick it up from the airport and save money as well.

and thanks for answering!

aside from airfare, how much do you think the trip will cost? car and hotel? I'd like to avoid 3 separate trips since I applied to Ponce and UCC also. Should I contact those schools to see if I could interview with them also, and how would I go about asking that question to admissions?

aside from airfare, how much do you think the trip will cost? car and hotel? I'd like to avoid 3 separate trips since I applied to Ponce and UCC also. Should I contact those schools to see if I could interview with them also, and how would I go about asking that question to admissions?
i got an interview invitation today. i called ucc and they said they haven't started the interview process, no answer from ponce. i'm guessing the trip will cost 400 or so for ticket + 50 for car + 300 for 2 days hotel... + any food expenses... it adds up. so yea if we're gonna be going their multiple times it's probably best to hold back on the spending for a few months :(

best of luck to you jmp20! i hope we see each other sometime in pr during next year.

i got an interview invitation today. i called ucc and they said they haven't started the interview process, no answer from ponce. i'm guessing the trip will cost 400 or so for ticket + 50 for car + 300 for 2 days hotel... + any food expenses... it adds up. so yea if we're gonna be going their multiple times it's probably best to hold back on the spending for a few months :(

best of luck to you jmp20! i hope we see each other sometime in pr during next year.

Congrats on the interview? When are you going? I'm going for the 11th

did you call or email to pick your interview date? I emailed back but haven't gotten a response yet, so I tried calling today. No luck though, apparently Nov 19 is Día del Descubrimiento de Puerto Rico... :scared:. I hope the 11 is still available

did you call or email to pick your interview date? I emailed back but haven't gotten a response yet, so I tried calling today. No luck though, apparently Nov 19 is Día del Descubrimiento de Puerto Rico... :scared:. I hope the 11 is still available
i'm in the same exact boat. emailed with no reply, and called today but it's a holiday. oh well, i'll just call again tomorrow.

Can you give any feedback about your interview, acceptance etc..?