Sandeep Burman - another Bengali and great tabla player

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Premedtomed

I saw him perform live at my university - very cool guy and very talented

www.sandipburman.com

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard any of his stuff before Siddharth, and there is nothing on his website that offers any sound clips (do you know where I could get a sample?). What kind of performance was it? Just a tabla solo, or did he use vocals or other instruments as accompaniment?

Are you into tabla music? Zakir Hussain is ok, as is Anindo Chatterjee. But no one can beat Ustad Alla Rakha (Zakir's father).

One of my friend's friend is a tabla player, Gurpreet Chana, and he does the whole fusion thing.

Here are two of his video clips:
Raptors Halftime show: 14mb
WICSA cultural show: 47mb

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
I've never heard any of his stuff before Siddharth, and there is nothing on his website that offers any sound clips (do you know where I could get a sample?). What kind of performance was it? Just a tabla solo, or did he use vocals or other instruments as accompaniment?

Are you into tabla music? Zakir Hussain is ok, as is Anindo Chatterjee. But no one can beat Ustad Alla Rakha (Zakir's father).

One of my friend's friend is a tabla player, Gurpreet Chana, and he does the whole fusion thing.

Here are two of his video clips:
Raptors Halftime show: 14mb
WICSA cultural show: 47mb

Wonderful dude :thumbup:

I wish I could I see him live

Premedtomed said:
I saw him perform live at my university - very cool guy and very talented

www.sandipburman.com

well i never heard of him before. BTW i studied Table for 2 years........Is there any tabla players or percussionist on this forum.........

hey, i used 2 learn the tabla,but that was long long back.....!i also learnt approx. for 1-1 1/2 yrs!
:laugh:
allergic2morons said:
well i never heard of him before. BTW i studied Table for 2 years........Is there any tabla players or percussionist on this forum.........

allergic2morons said:
I play the sitar, so I'll need some accompaniment ;) . Let's get some fast dadras going :laugh: .

sunny123 said:
I play the sitar, so I'll need some accompaniment ;) . Let's get some fast dadras going :laugh: .

oh really!!! where did u learn it? do they teach sitar in Canada?

allergic2morons said:
oh really!!! where did u learn it? do they teach sitar in Canada?
Ravi Shankar, I don't think so.... I play my own style. :D

And you can leanr to play the sitar in any country, just as long as there is a teacher there ;) . Although, I only lasted about 7 hours with my instructor, before I decided to teach myself. So.... don't expect any precise ragas being played, cause I play from the soul!

Whatever.... I just play what sounds nice to me :p .

cool stuff.. have you guys heard of "Suphala"? she's an Indian tabla player and i saw an article about her in the New York Times today.. her stuff is pretty neat- check it out at suphala.com (at least, i think that's what it is). i love tabla, sitar, and all the other indian instruments out there!! :D

i play the harmonium, prady could play some basic beats on the tabla, and sunny could do his thing w/ the sitar...we could start a band. hahaha :laugh: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahaha~!good one saffronrain!
btw,anybody there to sing with me?i'm basically a singer!wanted 2 b a singer ,but bcame a dentist instead!well, can play the tabla tooo!
infact, music is my passion!
saffronrain said:
i play the harmonium, prady could play some basic beats on the tabla, and sunny could do his thing w/ the sitar...we could start a band. hahaha :laugh: :D

prady said:
hahahaha~!good one saffronrain!
btw,anybody there to sing with me?i'm basically a singer!wanted 2 b a singer ,but bcame a dentist instead!well, can play the tabla tooo!
infact, music is my passion!

lol i'll sing w/ you!!! i love singing!! :laugh: but i'm afraid when i become a doctor i won't have time for these things! :D :p
oh jeez, SDN is so addicting.. i should go study.. laterz

saffronrain said:
lol i'll sing w/ you!!! i love singing!! :laugh: but i'm afraid when i become a doctor i won't have time for these things! :D :p

WOW! an Indian chick that loves classical music.

OMG where in the world have I been living?!!

Miss, may I get your number? ;)

I am damn tired of living in Kentucky :(

Premedtomed said:

OMG.....
We have another love story coming on this forum, well the first one started by Newyorker had a disastrous ending, lets see how far this goes :laugh: :laugh:
this forum is turning out more like
photo.cms.gif

Premedtomed said:

hahaha oh jeez... kentucky, huh? you need to get out. fast. haha jk
yeah nimster, i think this one's going to be interesting. ;) :oops: :p :laugh:

Yeah, I graduate in two weeks !!!

Thinking back, it was a typical immigrant experience :laugh:

But I've made it and am moving on (single :oops: )

nimeshshingala said:
OMG.....
We have another love story coming on this forum, well the first one started by Newyorker had a disastrous ending, lets see how far this goes :laugh: :laugh:
this forum is turning out more like
photo.cms.gif

Yeah I am sort of desperate but not too old (22yrs). But dunno where this is going to end. I don't want saffronrain to feel forced in any manner ;)

Premedtomed said:
Yeah I am sort of desperate but not too old (22yrs). But dunno where this is going to end. I don't want saffronrain to feel forced in any manner ;)

hey man
go ahead and start another love story :laugh: :laugh:
It will inspire me to make another movie
I will even lend you my CHAUFFER DRIVEN LIMOUSINE which has been in the Lounge since last so many days and the chauffer is getting tired waiting for Swetha to show up :laugh: :laugh:

nimeshshingala said:
hey man
go ahead and start another love story :laugh: :laugh:
I will even lend you my CHAUFFER DRIVEN LIMOUSINE which has been in the Lounge since last so many days and the chauffer is getting tired waiting for Swetha to show up :laugh: :laugh:

I'M HERE! I'M HERE! I'M HERE! :laugh: (where am I going again??) :p
Sid, dude, there's nothing wrong with being single. Nothing at all. You're 22 you say? That's pretty young.. I've got friends who are 24 and they're still single! I'm 19 (20 in six months!!) and I'm in no rush whatsoever. Single = more freedom. Most of my friends are "taken" and they complain. hahaha I guess I live vicariously through them. :laugh: (are you on facebook b-t-w?)
Shiznit. I'm addicted to SDN. I've got finals this week.. aaahh..

Dude, I am afraid I will be 24 and still single.

Anyways, it just means more nights of hardcore drinking :laugh:

Actually the terrible thing is that (again immigrant's perspective) you don't get to network/meet with people from your community that well.

So you are left with , no offense, a half-assed life i.e. living in KY.
Although I have made some terrific friends, they are all white, which is fine.
But yeh dil maange more ( I long for more - better things) :cool:

hi saffronrain,
thank u 4 accompanying me!basically ,i was into hindustani classical singing,but then had 2 leave 4 further studies!what about u?learnt classical singing?
saffronrain said:

hey sid,
all the best! :thumbup:
hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

hey nimesh,good luck 2 u for making the movie!mayb u can hire me as a music director!!!u need good romantic songs for making a good love story!!!!!hahaha!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
how does it sound?r u interested?let me know!!!!!!!!!! ;)

nimeshshingala said:
hey man
go ahead and start another love story

prady said:
hey sid,
all the best! :thumbup:
hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

hey nimesh,good luck 2 u for making the movie!mayb u can hire me as a music director!!!u need good romantic songs for making a good love story!!!!!hahaha!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
how does it sound?r u interested?let me know!!!!!!!!!! ;)

hey prady
I always give chance to new people to be a part of my movie
Aakash(street light) was my music director for Cabbie Doc MD ,but now he is busy with his MIT Admission
Maybe yourself,sunny and swetha should form a band .
Prady on a Tabla , swetha on harmonium , and sunny(georgieboy) on a sitar
hand_drums.gif
harmonica_music_notes_sm_wm.gif
sunnysitar.gif

Right now My Story writer
guruani.gif
is busy writing a script, I was thinking of making a love story with lots of Action

Kabardar!! No dating-fating with my group members!!! :laugh:

Listen:

Staying single is no crime,
because you get to drink lots of wine!!
When you got a girlfriend,
then you have met your end.

(I remember Sid sayin something about how he likes the alcohol :p , so this poem is for him) :D

nimesh babu!
thank u saar,
phor d offar!m gratly hanard!hehe!
i'll choose the playback singers!i'll b kishore & saffronrain will b my lata!i hope itz ok with lataji! btw,watch out sid ;) :laugh: :laugh:

nimeshshingala said:
hey prady
Aakash(street light) was my music director for Cabbie Doc MD ,but now he is busy with his MIT Admission
hand_drums.gif
sunnysitar.gif

guruani.gif
is busy writing a script, I was thinking of making a love story with lots of Action

::shudder:: i hate lata. w/ a passion. her voice is so weird.

no i haven't taken classical singing lessons, but ive been singing since i was like.. 3. no joke, so i guess my mom just "taught" me..
i teach myself the harmonium through books b/c my teacher died a while ago. sad but true. :( (no i wasn't that bad!!) :p
i like your poem sunny! haha :laugh:
let's get this movie going! i've always wanted to be in one! :p

prady said:
nimesh babu!
thank u saar,
phor d offar!m gratly hanard!hehe!
i'll choose the playback singers!i'll b kishore & saffronrain will b my lata!i hope itz ok with lataji! btw,watch out sid ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Hey she doesn't like Lataji haha

Shweta dear, thanks for your advice though. Pretty cute ;)

Yeah, I think I am going to keep looking around ( you aren't out of the radar screen though :laugh: )

sunny123 said:
Kabardar!! No dating-fating with my group members!!! :laugh:

Listen:

Staying single is no crime,
because you get to drink lots of wine!!
When you got a girlfriend,
then you have met your end.

(I remember Sid sayin something about how he likes the alcohol :p , so this poem is for him) :D

I don't like alcohol that much Sunny dip Sandip :laugh:

I just drink it told my friend once I was very drunk that I will quit all of this (drinking that is) once I get a girlfriend :laugh:

Shweta, listening ??? :laugh:

hey nimesh,

i have a serious question!can saffronrain do the lead-role& can b a payback singer too?is it ok?i hope our hero devdas (sid) does'nt mind!
too bad!saffronrain does'nt like lata!i agree with her!she has lost her charm now !i guess, she should stop singing & give chance to younger generations!

hi sid,
devdas bhai aur maat piyo !tera paro......paro........paro...........!!!!! ;) :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
I don't like alcohol that much Sunny dip Sandip :laugh:

I just drink it told my friend once I was very drunk that I will quit all of this (drinking that is) once I get a girlfriend :laugh:

Shweta, listening ??? :laugh:

hey swetha,
by the way, i'm highly impressed!do u still pursue singing?
welcome 2 the movie world!haha! :laugh: u seem talented! i guess u can handle the 2 top jobs in the movie-firstly singing with me& secondly,acting with devdas! :laugh: when can u give me sum time? ;) u have to cum for an audition first!'m a thorough professional!

hope our devdas is reading this one........!!!!!! ;) :laugh:

saffronrain said:
::shudder:: i hate lata. w/ a passion. her voice is so weird.

no i haven't taken classical singing lessons, but ive been singing since i was like.. 3. no joke, so i guess my mom just "taught" me..
i teach myself the harmonium through books b/c my teacher died a while ago. sad but true. :( (no i wasn't that bad!!) :p
i like your poem sunny! haha :laugh:
let's get this movie going! i've always wanted to be in one! :p

Naah dude I am not too seriously desperate. it is terrible but I joke around

Laughter is the best medicine.

So, yeah sure this Devdas is listening :laugh:

hahaha!cool dude! ;)

Premedtomed said:
Naah dude I am not too seriously desperate. it is terrible but I joke around

Laughter is the best medicine.

So, yeah sure this Devdas is listening :laugh:

hmm playback singing and also acting huh? wow, well, i guess i'll have to juggle that along w/ research and being a premed dork. i think it's something i can handle- plus, it'll give me something to talk about w/ the admissions officers. ;) :p
one problem: i don't understand a word of hindi, so let's make this movie english, shall we? :D
so this is a spoof off of devdas?? hey, so sid dies at the end? hahaha ;) jk..
see? "..drinking is very bad.." -"tipsy" (j-kwon) :laugh:

have you guys heard of "tabla beat science" or "talvin singh"? good stuff.

^ of course, I really liked his track, "Bombay theme tune", with AR Rahman.

Now as for this Devdas Part2, I better see less crying and more dooshoom-dooshoom fighting (Part 1 was lacking this). We need to get a Johnny Lever type character here, I nominate Pakorah to play him :laugh: .

Die??? tipsy (yeah at times :laugh: )

Anyways, I guess I will do whatever is required of me. (If that is what Shweta wants :laugh: lol )

On the other hand you guys might wanna check this website out

http://www.captainvijyantthapar.com/

Something to be really proud of

Jai Hind (Subashchandra Bose ji coined this term, did you know that?)
May be I should post on this the Bose thread

guys
keep giving your ideas and it will inspire me to make a movie
Devdas part 2!!!!!!!!! very interesting
sylesh verma was the villian last time, but now I think Pakorah will be the ideal candidate as the bad guy
looks like a triangular love story with siddharth,swetha and prady playing the lead roles and sunny will make a special appearance
keep giving me ideas folks,
lets make a blockbuster this time
this movie will have some amazing action sequence with special effects never seen before
Unfortunately I miss my buddy newyorker ,
Buddy Newyorker, If you are reading this post,please come and give me some good ideas and stories
Also Dr Garfield will have a special role in this up coming movie , talking about garfield, I think he had some 500 posts in 15 days and than suddenly disappeared, I guess he just got burnt out, he is one of those flashes in the pan

nimeshshingala said:
guys
sylesh verma was the villian last time, but now I think Pakorah will be the ideal candidate as the bad guy
looks like a triangular love story with siddharth,swetha and prady playing the lead roles and sunny will make a special appearance
this movie will have some amazing action sequence with special effects never seen before
Buddy Newyorker, If you are reading this post,please come and give me some good ideas and stories
Also Dr Garfield will have a special role in this up coming movie , talking about garfield, I think he had some 500 posts in 15 days and than suddenly disappeared, I guess he just got burnt out, he is one of those flashes in the pan

dudes, lets make this funny okay? lol :D

saffronrain said:
dudes, lets make this funny okay? lol :D

let's start the movie with a duet ( a techno beat to it) with Shweta and Sunny singing Karaoke at a bar in Bangalore and Sunny immediately gets in a fight :laugh:

Shweta doesn't like that and wonders when she'll find the man of her dreams :love: (possibly me :love: ) :laugh: :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
let's start the movie with a duet ( a techno beat to it) with Shweta and Sunny singing Karaoke at a bar in Bangalore and Sunny immediately gets in a fight :laugh:

Shweta doesn't like that and wonders when she'll find the man of her dreams :love: (possibly me :love: ) :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: a little like DDLJ?!?! haha

thanks nimesh 4 offering me a role!i would prefer a comedian's role,as it will b very difficult 2 produce laughter in a tragic-cum - action packed movie like DEVDAS 2/THE RETURN OF DEVDAS!HOW DOES IT SOUND?i should have the honor to tell u that i'm a gifted over-actor!!! :laugh: bollywood is really missing a talented guy like me!infact i highly recommend myself 4 d elite role!johnny's days r gone! :laugh: :laugh: i guess pakorahz the right choice,baby for the role of a villain !!!!hope pakora does'nt mind!hehe!dont eye to b d hero!itz exclusively 4 our debuda!
we have a paro....in swetha!then wherez our chandramukhi?dont tell me sunny is gonna b the chandramukhi in the sequlae!!!!!!hahaha :laugh: :laugh:

nimeshshingala said:
guys

oops!i recommend dr garfield 2 b chunnilal!i hope dr gar....is listening!oohoo!dr gar...dr garfield ...where r u?
prady said:
thanks nimesh 4 offering me a role!i would prefer a comedian's role,as it will b very difficult 2 produce laughter in a tragic-cum - action packed movie like DEVDAS 2/THE RETURN OF DEVDAS!HOW DOES IT SOUND?i should have the honor to tell u that i'm a gifted over-actor!!! :laugh: bollywood is really missing a talented guy like me!infact i highly recommend myself 4 d elite role!johnny's days r gone! :laugh: :laugh: i guess pakorahz the right choice,baby for the role of a villain !!!!hope pakora does'nt mind!hehe!dont eye to b d hero!itz exclusively 4 our debuda!
we have a paro....in swetha!then wherez our chandramukhi?dont tell me sunny is gonna b the chandramukhi in the sequlae!!!!!!hahaha :laugh: :laugh:

nimeshshingala said:
hey prady
hand_drums.gif
sunnysitar.gif

guruani.gif
Hey I play the sarode let me get a piece of this band :)

Pakorah said:
Hey I play the sarode let me get a piece of this band :)

Interesting, so you'll be the villain who plays an instrument :laugh: :laugh:

Prday, this will be modern Devdas so you'll be a cop, the Anupam Kher type, in the movie :laugh:

Let us give the characters of Devdas a modern look :laugh:

prady said:
oops!i recommend dr garfield 2 b chunnilal!i hope dr gar....is listening!oohoo!dr gar...dr garfield ...where r u?

talking about garfield
where is garfield???????
gfsuck4a1.jpg
a-garfb.gif

NO!!!! NOT YOU, THIS GARFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!
image_00161.jpg

I think he is again busy with those german saunas watching Nude german babes :mad:

Premedtomed said:

So I guess the dooshoom-style fighting started already in the first scene huh?? :D That was a bit quick don't ya think? This movie has to last for three hours, so we can't be giving out all the good stuff so soon.

I say we get a juggler (I've never seen a juggler in bollywood films), one who juggles bowls filled with daal, and somehow defies the laws of physics, such that not even a single drop falls out during his routine.

What role is Tina gonna play? And rxgal? We need some more actresses playing roles too. Oh yeah, since tinkercreek has an old lady as her avatar, she can be somebody's mother hehe :laugh: .

sunny123 said:
So I guess the dooshoom-style fighting started already in the first scene huh?? :D That was a bit quick don't ya think? This movie has to last for three hours, so we can't be giving out all the good stuff so soon.

I say we get a juggler (I've never seen a juggler in bollywood films), one who juggles bowls filled with daal, and somehow defies the laws of physics, such that not even a single drop falls out during his routine.

What role is Tina gonna play? And rxgal? We need some more actresses playing roles too. Oh yeah, since tinkercreek has an old lady as her avatar, she can be somebody's mother hehe :laugh: .
anyone want to take my part? :D im not sure if i can handle this. haha singing, playing instruments, memorizing lines, acting, research, studying.. daaamn...outta controllll