SAT/ACT Review Materials Used to Study PCAT Verbal/Quantitative Sections?

RAMPHARMD

UHCOP Pharm.D. Student
10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I personally think the 2008-2009 Kaplan PCAT review text is lacking in the areas of verbal and quantitative ability. Do you guys think it would be a wise decision to supplement the Kaplan text with a SAT/ACT verbal ability/math review text for extra practice?

rjblja

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
I personally think the 2008-2009 Kaplan PCAT review text is lacking in the areas of verbal and quantitative ability. Do you guys think it would be a wise decision to supplement the Kaplan text with a SAT/ACT verbal ability/math review text for extra practice?
I was thinking exactly the same thing you mentioned..
I think it it also good idea to look up the words for GRE and memorize them.. or SAT.
but I'm not so sure how to study for the verbal.
I just usually memorize the words, but it seems it's not helping.
any suggestion for me??

samfromVA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
Personally, what I am doing is like taking exams after exams and writing down the words that I feel that I don't understand. Then I try to memorize them.

I know it can get overwhelming, but in time, and repetitive practice, hopefully it will work out just fine.

Kaplan has a lot of info in Biology but less info on Math, and verbal.

I wish I could only finish all the questions in time. I am having timing issues now. Any help would be appreciated...

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
Omaha, NE via Lincoln, NE - Home of college footba
unl.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacy Student
I think those books are a good idea if you need practice making relationships between words. Those old SAT books have a lower vocabulary level that allows one to understand how those analogies and sentence completions work.

islandboy401

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I don't know much about the PCAT verbal, since I didn't take the test yet...

but...

I am almost positive that studying SAT Math isn't enough for PCATs...because SAT Math does not test calculus, and not even that much of precalculus....It has a lot of geometry (which is no longer tested on the PCAT). For the Math, I think you would be better off using another study guide....or maybe reviewing the old math topics from a textbook or online resources....