1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

SAT scores???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by maestro1625, Jul 18, 2006.

1. maestro1625

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so Jefferson's app requires SAT scores. I took the SAT to humor myself in HS, but being from Michigan, didnt really need to care about the results give the fact that the ACT is prefered around here. Does college board have a quick (and free) way to look up your scores. It's been way too long and I havent the slightest idea how I did back then.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SpeakLittleB

SpeakLittleB Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    i think your registrar should have them from when u applied to your university. that's how i got mine at least.

4. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm also from Michigan. Didn't take the SAT so I'm not worrying about it.

I think they use it for research purposes anyway.

5. whatdapho

whatdapho MS-I
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    USUHS also requires your SAT scores. I took the SAT about 6 or so years ago so I definitely don't have a hard copy of my SAT scores. However, what USUHS suggested was contact the collegeboard.com and retrieve your score. You can call 609-771-7600 and request the collegeboard to look up your score and depending on how long ago you took it, they will charge you some ridiculous fee. Mine might cost be 52 bucks for looking it up and rushing the score to my house. They can't just tell you your score either, which is ridiculous too. So give them a call and they'll answer your SAT score questions. Hope this helps.

6. maestro1625

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    and looking at the paper application, they give you a space for ACT (something that's not on the electronic app). I figured collegeboard would charge an arm and a leg...

I now remember my total score, but I dont remember the distribution... I think I'll just fill in my ACT score...

7. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why would you fill in your ACT for the SAT boxes? And yes the online form has no space for ACT.

8. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    when i needed the breakdown of my ACT scores for a secondary, i contacted my high school guidance office, and they had my ACT scores and my class rank and all of those things that I didn't remember

9. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh, that is total and complete bull-*hit that you have to have your SAT score. Apparently if it is over 5 years old, you have to pay for them to pull it out of storage, and they might not even have it. Oh hell no. I took the SAT in like, 1998! :laugh: Because some test you took when you were 16 really says a lot about you now.
    How many went into the SAT cold? I know I did! I certainly didn't take a prep course or have a book. I just went in and took it. I took the PSAT the year before, and the SAT Junior year.

10. korndoctor

korndoctor Member
    7+ Year Member

11. maestro1625

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    because I can! ;) and I actually know my score (plus, my ego forced me to note that my ACT was a hell of a lot higher than my SAT.

Either way, I'll figure it out later on... it's not like this app is an automated system to run your scores thru a computer logarythm or anything... the whole thing is set up just to basically print to paper.

12. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I remembered my scores, but I could not for the life of me remember the month that I took them, so I just put Fall 1995 for the date (that was actually the 2nd time I had taken them, since I had been out of high school for three years by the time I was applying for undergrad).

13. swim2md

swim2md Ni.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    SAT scores are sometimes requested to see how good of a standardized test taker you are. This way they can speculate how you might fare when it's time for the boards. Private schools need to release board scores, and better numbers mean more funding-- so they want to accept good test takers.

14. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not true. I called and asked at Jefferson and was told that the SAT score is just for research purposes, it's not a criteria being used for acceptance. The woman said that she couldn't imagine any medical school using it for acceptance criteria.

15. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That seems rather fishy. What the hell kinda research are they doing? And what for?

16. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got my scores from the college counselor at my highschool.

17. swim2md

swim2md Ni.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I was told that by a friendly adcom. They don't necessarily base admission on whether you did well or not, but if you had high SATs and high MCATs but a low GPA, they can speculate that you still have a good shot at doing well on boards.

18. notdeadyet

Attending Physician
    I would guess they're trying to see if SAT scores are any indication of ultimate success in medical school, similar to how they tried to track it for MCAT performance.

19. Is it absolutely required to list SAT scores on Jefferson's secondary? Or would it be problematic to skip?

20. notdeadyet

Attending Physician
    No. I called and asked and was told it was optional.

21. notdeadyet

Attending Physician
    I doubt very much that any med school worth its salt is going to take make any kind of guess as to how well you'll do on boards based on your SATs.

MCAT is (arguably) a good predictor of how well you will do on your boards because it is a content-based test, as are the boards. The MCAT also covers hard science material, as do the boards. The SAT is purely an aptitude test, not a content-based exam, and is not science-centric to begin with.

If you remember your SAT, go ahead and include it. If you don't, don't pull your hair out. And if you bombed it and decide to include it anyway, don't worry about it. No admission decision will be swayed by how well you did on your SAT.

22. DontPanic

DontPanic Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical