SAT Study Books -- What Did You Use? Pre-Med Needing Advice

Xypathos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Okay, so I'm currently attending a college out in Iowa but will be transferring to a school in NC (pref. UNC but we'll see).

Anyway, I graduated in 2004 and spent 18 months in the Army and am just about to finish my 2nd year in Iowa. I spoke with UNC and they require that I take the new SAT I, even though it was not out when I was in HS.

So, I've got to retake the SAT and I was wondering what resources any of you used to prep for this --- I did alright my first time, 1100 but I would like to aim for much better if possible so that way it'll increase my chances at UNC.

Thanks.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
wow, you still have so far to go. I recommend a 3 year break from SDN.

About the Ads

Xypathos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My sister uses the Kaplan book. I don't know if it's that much help. Does that school have a minimum score for attending?

The average for incoming freshman is 1200'ish --- but transfer students on average score 100-200 points lower.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Start studying 6 months before the exam at 20 hours a week. Do practice tests until your fingers bleed and make sure you review a lot of material from all of your pre-req classes....

Wait, you need SAT advice? Oh... :laugh:

I used the Barron's book. I looked at it the night before my SAT. I did a practice math section and only missed two questions. Then I reviewed the vocab flash cards they had. I got a 1330 on the tests the next day. I probably could have done better if I studied more, but I beat my brother by ten points (this was my goal actually, ha ha) and it was enough for me to get a scholarship for half tuition and fees at my institution. My advice - some students really don't need to study or prepare for the SAT, while others do. Get a prep book that has multiple practice tests. Then, before you study anything, take a practice test and see how prepared you are. If you do as well or better than you expected, then take another practice test and make sure it wasn't just a fluke. If you did poorer than you wanted, then look at what you missed, discover where your weaknesses lie, and study the prep book specifically to improve your weaknesses. Best of luck to you!

EBI831

legend in the making
10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Chi-town royalty
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
you know what i think? i think that you've got an advantage cuz you're older than all the highschoolers who take it so you've had some time to enrich your vocab, so just hit up a few study books(because the format has changed since and you need to familiarize yourself with it) and go in there thinking "i am older and therefore better than you" and i'm sure the badass attitude will secure you that coveted 1200. also, make sure to shave your beard and take off your wedding ring before they get suspicious.

cerulean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
I would try to get a hold of practice SATs to take so you can identify your weak areas. Back when it was in paper form, the book "10 Real SATs" was supposed to be pretty good; just old SAT exams to work through. I took a Kaplan prep course for the SAT, but thought it was a waste of money since it probably would have been similarly effective if I had studied on my own. In terms of test strategies, you might want to purchase a Kaplan prep book or Princeton Review book.

anteater14

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
I took the test about 6 years ago .. so the format is different, but I used the Kaplan test prep CDs. Just a couple hours every night. Every time you get a right answer, you hear applause. I don't know if they still have it. I think just like the MCAT, if you do enough full length practice tests you will come out okay.

dontwakeme

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I took the SAT a while ago, but the thing that really helped me was reading A LOT. I would read magazines (The Economist, USNews, etc.) and newspapers (WSJ, NYT, etc.) Reading difficult material for long periods of time really improves your ability to concentrate and focus (which, in essence, is what the SAT is really testing). I also studied a list of about 500 commonly tested vocabulary words.

As for the math section, I just did old practice tests. After a while, you recognize certain patterns in the math problems that are used every time.

Studying for the SAT (or any other standardized test for that matter) is all about recognizing patterns as opposed to learning material.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Apparently. I never knew about studying for it until I found out my sister was studying for it. I figured it was just one of those things you did cold, like the national standardized tests they make you take every once in a while. I might have actually scored above 1000 if I had studied for the old version. :rolleyes:

fenguin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Though it's difficult to remember much from before college, I think that the book that helped me most is Up Your Score: The Underground Guide to the SAT - it's shorter yet has more useful info (in my opinion) than the Kaplan and other test review books, plus it's mildly funny so makes for a more interesting read. It's only $10 and is in most libraries anyways, so go check it out if you can.

Here's some links:
http://www.upyourscore.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Up-Your-Score-Underground-2007-2008/dp/0761143076

krachenfels89

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
the collegeboard book is great, the real key is just practice. Just keep taking the practice tests in the back, submit the answers online (and have it checked) and see what you did wrong. Then move on to the next text, and repeat. There are about 8 tests in the book. After doing this i got a 1410/1600 coming from a 1230 cold. princeton review is also good for reading the actualy sections (how to complete the math, reading, and writing,) but i think the collegeboard practice tests are great.

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
just practice with the 10 real sats from collegeboard. the sat like the mcat is just all about practice.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.