SAT Verbal and MCAT VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone's SAT Verbal scores correlate with their MCAT scores?

I thought SAT Reading passages are harder than the MCAT ones lol

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall my SAT VR percentiles, but I had 630 and 680. I *think* the 680 was 90 percentile, not clue about the 630. I am not a native speaker, though. I got a 10 on the MCAT, I think it was about 65-75%.

I was really good at SAT Critical Reading. I was also good at the SAT 2 Literature exam. However, I've just started practicing for MCAT VR, and I feel that the it is a whole different animal. We'll see how things turn out with more practice though.

I was really good at SAT Critical Reading. I was also good at the SAT 2 Literature exam. However, I've just started practicing for MCAT VR, and I feel that the it is a whole different animal. We'll see how things turn out with more practice though.
Yes, SAT VR is only part passages/questions. I think at least half is analogies/synonyms/etc, which are a lot less subjective and conjecture-based.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, SAT VR is only part passages/questions. I think at least half is analogies/synonyms/etc, which are a lot less subjective and conjecture-based.

it's not even that. I was good at the SAT passages, and the SAT 2 lit exam was also completely passage based. I find the questions in MCAT VR much more challenging. With the SAT, I always had a good sense of which answer choice had to be right. The MCAT answer choices have me second-guessing myself quite a bit.

it's not even that. I was good at the SAT passages, and the SAT 2 lit exam was also completely passage based. I find the questions in MCAT VR much more challenging. With the SAT, I always had a good sense of which answer choice had to be right. The MCAT answer choices have me second-guessing myself quite a bit.

really?
I found the SAT critical reading extremely hard.. especially comparing 2 different passages! You definitely had to know the author's tone and purpose. Thank god the MCAT doesn't do that..

everyone i've talked to, their sat scores did not correlate to their mcat scores at all.

with that said... i don't remember my sat breakdown exactly but my sat verbal and sat ii writing were around 600-630? it was definitely no higher than 650.

mcat vr: 11
mcat ws: r

I think that the questions asked on SAT verbal are very different from MCAT verbal. SAT verbal passages are more detail oriented and the paragraphs within them are more discrete. MCAT verbal necessitates you to incorporate ideas of the whole passage to make sense of a single paragraph. I got an 800 on SAT verbal and struggled with MCAT verbal. However, it really depends on your particular method of reasoning, which might work better with one test versus another.

although it's been way too long and i've had WAY too many beers in between, i think my SAT verbal was only like a 550 or so. My mcat verbal was an 11 which is 82.6 - 94.1%. I don't see a correlation at all. I've never been a big reader, wrote 2 papers total in college (i was a computer science major). People always say that these standardized tests correlate to this and that, don't believe the hype.

as far as the writing sample goes, the first time I took it in august, i wrote about Iced T's hard rock band "body count" and their copkiller song as my example. Got a P. This time I wrote probably 4 sentences per paragraph for 3 paragraphs...basically underestimated how long it would take me to write the essays, and ran out of time on both. Still ended up with a P. Not to say that a P is outstanding, but if you can write a non science essay, you should be fine....