SAT verbal vs. MCAT verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't know what happened to my last post, but something seems screwy...
I was curious if there are any of you out there who did well on one but not the other? Also, is the MCAT verbal as much of a vocab test as the SAT verbal is? It seems like even the reading comprehension questions on the SAT verbal were a vocab test.

Members don't see this ad.

lola:

720 sat

I took the cat 3 times:
10vr
9vr
12 vr

hope that helps.

MCAT verbal is much less vocab oriented than SAT- it is mostly about reading comprehension.
SAT- 790
MCAT V.- 11

Members don't see this ad :)
SAT: 630
MCAT: 13-15

You know, the biggest problem with that section is that when I was going over a passage to practice, I would disagree with about one of the "correct" responses even after reading the explanation...oh well.

I personally found the MCAT version of verbal to be much easier. Reading comp instead of vocab.
SAT => 660 (the old SAT, don't know if that works out to more or less in the current version)
MCAT => 13-15

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr.G:
•MCAT verbal is much less vocab oriented than SAT- it is mostly about reading comprehension.
SAT- 790
MCAT V.- 11•••••Me too!
SAT verbal 790
MCAT verbal 11

590 V SAT
9 Verbal MCAT

gracias a dios for the math sat section! :D

SAT Verbal 760 (4th time)
MCAT Verbal 12 (1st and only time)

I am with Doctora Foxy....THANK GOD for the math section.

I found the MCAT verbal to be easier. I was scoring 13-15 on all my practice tests, but during the real MCAT I did much worse.

SAT: 760V
MCAT: 10 <--- I hate that section!!! :p

MCAT Verbal much easier.
SAT Verbal - 600
MCAT Verbal - 10

so i take it either people who got <700 on sat, did a lot of reading during college. or it's just that those who got 750+, were really tired during the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
say, if you got 800 on sat2 math and physics and 800 on sat1 math, does it mean mcat science sections will be 15? :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by borya_2002:
•say, if you got 800 on sat2 math and physics and 800 on sat1 math, does it mean mcat science sections will be 15? :D •••••No. There's a lot of chemistry.

Some people who don't do well on SATs cuz they don't have a large vocabulary. I did really well on verbal (760) on the sat, but that's cuz I missed one or two analogies/sentence completions. I'd miss like 5-6 of the reading comprehension. Highest i've had on a aamc V was a 9 in verbal. (still waiting for mcats). basically, you could at least study for the sat analogies/sentence completion by memorizing a bunch of words; improving comprehension skills are another story.....argggh. too bad they didn't have analogies/sentence completions on the mcats. :mad:

i think it also has a lot to do with iq. my dad is a physicist and he doesn't speak english well. but he took the verbal sat from the "10 real sat's" and he got about 90% on the passage questions. if he knew english, he'd get 800 for sure. and i only got 650 because i also studied for those analogies. but i don't read many books and hate any intellectual work.

hey guys, could you also tell which major books you've read before taking the SAT and during the period between sat and mcat?
i.e. you got 600V having not read much before. and after that you read all the books by jack london or something or some scientific american every day and your mcat was much better?

700 sat, 11 verbal.

the only questions i got wrong on that damn test were reading comprehension. they came back to haunt me. ****, im drunk...

SAT Verbal: 550
MCAT Verbal: 12
MCAT Writing: S

•••quote:•••Originally posted by praying mantis:
•SAT Verbal: 550
MCAT Writing: S•••••*cough* bull****! *cough* :wink:
The only way that's possible is if you either :

1) were drunk when you took the SAT
2) misbubbled every single question on the SAT
3) had someone else take the verbal section of the MCAT for you! :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by praying mantis:
•SAT Verbal: 550
MCAT Writing: S•••••*cough* bull****! *cough* :wink:
The only way that's possible is if you either :

1) were drunk when you took the SAT
2) misbubbled every single question on the SAT
3) had someone else take the verbal section of the MCAT for you! :wink: •••••I think its possible. I have no problem with reading comprehension. It was the analogies that gave me the most trouble on the SAT, not the passages. I actually was scoring 11's and 12's on my practice MCAT exams. So I think its possible to do well on MCAT verbal and poorly on SAT verbal.

SAT Verbal: 710
MCAT VR: 11

Personally, I found the MCAT Verbal Reasoning to be much more difficult but that may because the SATs were a very long time ago for me (~9 years ago) and the whole MCAT experience is still relatively fresh in my mind.

One thing I wished I had practiced more for the MCATs though was timing. I remember rushing to finish my last passage.

At this point, I don't think reading more is going to help you, unless it's something technical and short, i.e. Nature, Science or Scientific American etc. Practicing with real or close-to-real passages will be your best bet.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Resident Alien:
•630 sat
8 verbal.

dont ask.•••••what happened? :wink:

680 SAT
11 MCAT

Somewhere in the middle of both tests I remember thinking: "Ok you're doing good, now just keep focused on the reading... Uh oh, I'm thinking too much about focusing and losing focus... Dammit now I read the whole thing and have no idea what it was about, better read it again... Crap no time must go to the questions..." ad infinitum. I'm sure I lost a few points in there just from trying too hard to concentrate and causing myself not too concentrate enough... can't really complain about my scores too much though.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Resident Alien:
•630 sat
8 verbal.

dont ask.•••••what happened? :wink: •••••Nothing much, only two gentle women happened to chat and laugh near the doors to the hall where i was trying to read my thoughts. :mad: :mad: its cool, though :wink: :D

I found the MCAT verbal a lot harder than the SAT, probably because i have a fairly large vocab. So on the practices i wasn't doing too well, but I improved on the actual test:

MCAT VR: 12
SAT Verbal: 780

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Resident Alien:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Resident Alien:
•630 sat
8 verbal.

dont ask.•••••what happened? :wink: •••••Nothing much, only two gentle women happened to chat and laugh near the doors to the hall where i was trying to read my thoughts. :mad: :mad: its cool, though :wink: :D •••••That is what happens when you pay attention to women and not where you are suppose to :wink: :p

Optimistic,
Who told you to stand outside and chat when I was taking the test?! :wink: :p

Hey Papa -

My post was not a joke. I really did get a 550 on the SAT and 12 on the MCAT. I took the SAT without any prep or drive. I have never been a good test taker. But I worked my a** off on the MCAT.

I actually teach the MCAT verbal and SAT verbal (I took a diagnostic test and did very well) for TPR. SAT is a bunch of crap and you need to understand the whole mess about easy, medium, and hard questions, and how to answer less questions and actually score higher. I didn't know any of this when I took the SAT.

So yes it can happen, and the SAT does not reflect intelligence :)