SAT vs MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bor0101

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post your SAT math&verbal scores separately and the MCAT scores separately, and also the school you went to, and the gpa if you want. I'd like to see what to expect... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sat
math: 730
verbal: 800

mcat
ps: 15
bs: 15
vr: 13

i think statistically only the verbal sections correlate as the math section is pretty much an IQ test and the ps/bs sections are all about applying previously-gained knowledge. I'm a ucla student (by the way, all bruins check out www.bruinmap.com !) with a pretty good GPA (~ 3.7) considering my majors (biochem/mimg)

Thanks! I would like more stats.
Yes, verbal section is what i am most interested in. It is the one that i am most worried about. I read that to get 11, you need to answer about 55/65 questions? How many do you need correct for a 13? On the sat 55/65 would give you about 750! Actually i thought the verbal section correlates more with your iq(though i'm sure it's possible to change the score if reading lots of books, but thats hard if i dont like to read), than math. Since i got 800math and 650verbal. I actually got almost all the analogy and sentence completions correct(i memorized most of the barrons sat book word list), but didnt do very well on the reading comprehension. And i believe mcat is all 65 questions in reading comp. My father doesnt speak english too much, and he took a practice test and couldnt do most of the analogies and sentence compl, but he got over 90% on the reading comp for sat's(and even though his english vocabulary is small, he even finished the test section with plenty of time left)... I plan to take mcat in about 1 1/2years, and would like to do something to get 11 on the verbal, but now i am worried i might not even get a 10.
Also what %ile of the mcat test takers get a 13? Thanks.

My situation is worse, I got below 500 on SAT verbal.

Anyone got any ideas how to improve verbal skill?

Originally posted by bor0101
Thanks! I would like more stats.
Yes, verbal section is what i am most interested in. It is the one that i am most worried about. I read that to get 11, you need to answer about 55/65 questions? How many do you need correct for a 13? On the sat 55/65 would give you about 750! Actually i thought the verbal section correlates more with your iq(though i'm sure it's possible to change the score if reading lots of books, but thats hard if i dont like to read), than math. Since i got 800math and 650verbal. I actually got almost all the analogy and sentence completions correct(i memorized most of the barrons sat book word list), but didnt do very well on the reading comprehension. And i believe mcat is all 65 questions in reading comp. My father doesnt speak english too much, and he took a practice test and couldnt do most of the analogies and sentence compl, but he got over 90% on the reading comp for sat's(and even though his english vocabulary is small, he even finished the test section with plenty of time left)... I plan to take mcat in about 1 1/2years, and would like to do something to get 11 on the verbal, but now i am worried i might not even get a 10.
Also what %ile of the mcat test takers get a 13? Thanks.

the verbal section (in my estimation) varies more than any other section in the number of questions needed to get a certain score. for example, when i took it (last august) it was generally agreed that verbal was brutally difficult; in my opinion it was harder than those passages found in kaplan's "MCAT 45" book, for example. thus, i can guarantee you i did not answer 55 correctly. all one has to do to get a 15 is beat 99.9 percent of test takers. likewise, to get a 13 you must do better than 99% of test takers and to get an 11 you must do better than about 90% (im just reading off the percentages from the aamc site).

i apologize if i'm wrong but i am assuming that english was not your first language and that possibly you dont speak much english in your daily life; there are many people in your shoes who have done well on the mcat but, obviously, the verbal section will be hardest (as you seem to have the studiousness to do well on the other two section considering all the prep you put into the SAT). my best advice is to read lots and lots of high-level essays (the economist is pretty much solid MCAT-style passages) and practice doing a lot of passages and your score will improve. I'd reccomend looking at this (excellent) thread below as a starting point for strategy on the verbal section and going from there.
good luck

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?threadid=39366&highlight=verbal