Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Save my GPA or possibly save my MCAT score?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by 700003, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. 700003

700003 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 01.12.15
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ndafife

ndafife 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Whats your overall GPA? A B+ isnt going to have much affect overall.

Why did you do so poorly? Do you just not get the material or did you not study despite the fact you are taking only 12 credits?

Honestly, I highly doubt someone who got a 78.5% on the first exam is going to average a 97% on the next three, especially as material gets tougher. You should be focusing on not getting a C in the course and figuring out how to get better in science courses if you plan on being a doctor as opposed to an A

4. 700003

700003 2+ Year Member

5. freemontie

freemontie Banned Banned

You've gone crazy.

6. ithd

ithd

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    IF you drop this class, wont you be below 12 credits --> part-time student?

7. Kochanie

Kochanie

Pre-Medical
    A B+ is fine, especially if you learn the material you didn't for the first exam.

8. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Your GPA is fine. Too bad your class isn't curved.

9. elprezidente

elprezidente 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take a deep breath! Your current GPA is fantastic and definitely competitive for many MD schools. Would a 3.82 and 3.76 be better and more competitive? Sure. Is it worth dropping a class to avoid getting a B+ alongside 3 other As (assuming that you get As in the other classes)? Absolutely not - especially considering the fact that you already dropped a class.

People drop classes to avoid getting Cs, Ds, and Fs, not to avoid getting a B+. Remember that if you drop, it shows up on your transcript as a Withdrawal and, although it won't be calculated into your GPA, adcoms will probably assume that you were doing much worse than getting a B+ in the course. If you get three As and a B+ you'll have a 3.8+ for the semester, which would actually raise your cGPA, showing an upwards trend there, and probably not affect your sGPA if you're currently taking another science class. And if you're not, it probably won't do much to your current sGPA anyways.

What you do need to focus on is the MCAT. Not to add unnecessary pressure but just to make sure you understand, your GPA and MCAT are basically weighted equally in the admissions process. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but according to LizzyM, a 31/3.8 is basically equivalent to a 38/3.1. The key is to find a balance between the two so that they correlate in a way that demonstrates your capacities to adcoms. I'd recommend staying enrolled in your class, working extra hard to finish out the semester, and spending ample time prepping for that MCAT. If you get a 33+ to complement your current GPA, I think that (assuming that you have solid ECs) you'll find yourself matriculating in 2016.

10. MrLogan13

MrLogan13 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Chill, man. A B+ isn't going to hurt you all that much, your GPA is already good. Just focus and do better.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Meep Meep Meep 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have interviews and I got a B-in biochem a C+ in a math class.

Chill.

12. zzxxzz

zzxxzz 2+ Year Member

x2. Multiple Cs, multiple interviews here.

Just study harder next time.

prettyNURSEtoMD likes this.
  13. 700003

700003 2+ Year Member

14. 700003

700003 2+ Year Member

15. 700003

700003 2+ Year Member

16. theseeker4

theseeker4 PGY 1 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    You are being neurotic. There are plenty of med students who had Cs and worse in pre reqs. Just do as well as you can and stop stressing.

ciestar likes this.
  17. MrLogan13

MrLogan13 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Depends on the school. I have a couple of C's, and that hasn't stopped me from getting interviews. As you can see above, the same for ridethecliche. It's great to want to aim high and achieve that A, but don't let it consume you to the point where you have anxiety about it. Relax.

18. Ace Khalifa

Ace Khalifa I am the definition of awesomeness 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I have a B- and a C+ on my transcript and also 2 W's. I've interviewed more than once already. No one made a comment about the grades or the withdrawals during my interviews. CHILL.

CobraX and MrLogan13 like this.

About the ads