Saved by an upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally had my GPA's officially calculated...

My cGPA is 3.08. My sGPA is a 3.23. My post-bacc is a 4.0 over 30+ credits.

My GPA's by year go like this...

Freshman: 2.4
Sophmore: 2.9
Junior: 3.2
Senior: 3.6
Post-bacc: 4.0

Despite my low overall GPA, my gpa over my last 60 credit hours is a 3.8. My science GPA is a 4.0 over that same time span, which includes all pre-reqs (minus Bio 1) + "recomended" courses.

Is there any hope I can make it to MD school or will my skipping too many classes during fresh/soph years do me in? Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@IL Pre Med The upward trend is definitely nice and there are some schools that do show love to students that show reinvention. A 35 is a great score but with that GPA I'd shoot for new schools and state schools for MD (hopefully you are in a state like Texas or Florida). Otherwise, perhaps a little more GPA repair is order to increase your chances. Also, great ec's or research would be helpful. You may be a fine candidate for D.O. schools though.

The upward trend is definitely nice and there are some schools that do show love to students that show reinvention. A 35 is a great score but with that GPA I'd shoot for new schools and state schools for MD (hopefully you are in a state like Texas or Florida). Otherwise, perhaps a little more GPA repair is order to increase your chances. Also, great ec's or research would be helpful. You may be a fine candidate for D.O. schools though.

I'm a non-trad, took 6 years off after school. I became a pro surfer 4 years ago...how's this go by way of EC's?

My practices are around 30-33. Let's say 31/32. ( taking it in 4 weeks)
I'm a non-trad, took 6 years off after school. I became a pro surfer 4 years ago...how's this go by way of EC's?

Shoot for the highest MCAT score possible my friend. Your GPA isn't that competitive but the upward trend will definitely help a bit. In my opinion, the pro surfer thing is pretty cool and unique but it will not make up for low GPA. I have a couple questions.

1. Are you not interested in DO schools at all?
2. What state do you live in?
3.What is the rest of your app like?
4. Are you trying to apply for this upcoming cycle?

(Also this thread should probably be moved to the "what are my chances" section. @Ismet , @mmmcdowe )

Shoot for the highest MCAT score possible my friend. Your GPA isn't that competitive but the upward trend will definitely help a bit. In my opinion, the pro surfer thing is pretty cool and unique but it will not make up for low GPA. I have a couple questions.

1. Are you not interested in DO schools at all?
2. What state do you live in?
3.What is the rest of your app like?
4. Are you trying to apply for this upcoming cycle?

(Also this thread should probably be moved to the "what are my chances" section. @Ismet , @mmmcdowe )

Thanks for your help...

I'm open to DO, but I really want to do orthopedic surgery, and although it's far from a sure thing, MD gives me the best chance.

I live in California.

Pretty solid I believe. I've got the volunteering and letters of rec. I founded a non-profit which takes college/high school kids on surfing trips in exchange for their giving back to the local populations, i.e. building schools, wells, etc. We've had great successes and have been featured in main stream surf magazines. I'm very involved with the make-a-wish foundation as well.

I'd be stoked to get in this cycle, but if I have to wait, I have to wait.

Thanks for your help...

I'm open to DO, but I really want to do orthopedic surgery, and although it's far from a sure thing, MD gives me the best chance.

I live in California.

Pretty solid I believe. I've got the volunteering and letters of rec. I founded a non-profit which takes college/high school kids on surfing trips in exchange for their giving back to the local populations, i.e. building schools, wells, etc. We've had great successes and have been featured in main stream surf magazines. I'm very involved with the make-a-wish foundation as well.

If you can pull off a 32+ you might have a chance with MD provided you apply early (June) and broadly (20+) schools. If you can put together passionate and convincing personal statement that would help as well.

Some schools to look at include: Tulane, RFU, VCU, USF, UCF, Albany, and GWU.

Do you have any significant clinical experience or shadowing?

If you don't get in this cycle your 2 options would be to do an SMP for MD or apply DO.

If you can pull off a 30+ you should have no trouble getting into multiple DO schools (possibly even WesternU).

You can still do ortho as a DO, you'll just have to bust your ass during med school if you want to get into a good residency in CA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your help...

I live in California.

I was hoping you wouldn't say California lol. It's okay though, I definitely feel you could get some love if you target the right MD schools. If you don't get in this cycle and really want an MD, more post bacc work or an SMP would help.

As others have mentioned, you still can match into ortho as a DO if you work for it. Best of luck to you.

And Wayne, which heavily weights 20+ hours of high postbac grades.

Didn't know this, but very interesting to hear. Any idea how a post-bacc GPA is weighted in the eyes of their adcom? What I mean is - would a great post-bacc be enough to outweigh a crap cgpa?

Didn't know this, but very interesting to hear. Any idea how a post-bacc GPA is weighted in the eyes of their adcom? What I mean is - would a great post-bacc be enough to outweigh a crap cgpa?
I don't know the precise weight given, but I gather it's pretty heavy. Perhaps you can find more specific information in the school-specific thread.