saving on tuition

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by foxyy, Sep 16, 2000.

1. foxyy

foxyy New Member

I'm a biochem major thinking of switching to bio be/se I would be able to graduate a year early. I would use the year off to do research and/or work in a health related area. I'd be saving $10,000 on tuition and could earn money to pay for medical school. Do you think this will hurt me as an applicant?
    stats:
    cgpa 3.6 sgpa 3.8
    activities: RA, gen chem TA, judicial board, study abroad, research, medical assistant(shadowing).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I'm a biochem major thinking of switching to bio be/se.

No I don't think switching will hurt your application. Since you appear to be strong in chemistry I would suggest taking a pharmacology class, it'll look good on your application and really help you once you get into school. Taking a year off to do research will also help your profile. Make sure you get some good volunteering experience with a dr, nowdays they like seeing primary care shadowing. Make sure you get to do more than watch though.

Good luck post us with your progress
    Diane

4. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There are more bio majors applying to med schools than biochem majors, but in most respects, that's neither here nor there. If you do neat stuff and make yourself stand out, this sort of change won't hurt you one bit -- especially if you can volunteer and work in the field for a bit, and in interviews apply how that decision gave you a different perspective on health care/your future career, go for it!!

5. galadriel

galadriel Member
    10+ Year Member

I see you are at Rutgers. If you are not an applicant this year, see if you can make an appointment to run your question by Dr. Sieden at RWJ med school. He is in Admissions there. He is a good friend of mine and a nice guy.

------------------