Say interest or be general?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrcrawfor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I want to do Pediatric Hem/Onc and I am wondering if saying that in a PS or interview is something that could work for or against you.

I recently shadowed over 50 hours in hem/onc and it is like heaven to me. I am also looking into doing research with some of the physicians I was shadowing at a big name hospital.

Will expressing interest in a sub-specialty hurt me in interviews- especially at a school like MCG or GW?

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure I want to do Pediatric Hem/Onc and I am wondering if saying that in a PS or interview is something that could work for or against you.

I recently shadowed over 50 hours in hem/onc and it is like heaven to me. I am also looking into doing research with some of the physicians I was shadowing at a big name hospital.

Will expressing interest in a sub-specialty hurt me in interviews- especially at a school like MCG or GW?

You can say you are interested and that this particular area is what initially drew you to medicine, but you don't know absolutely what you want to do with your life...thats why you do rotations

Just say you have an open mind and realize you may fall in love with another area of medicine and persue that after exposure to it.

I think the conventional wisdom is that it's okay to say you have an initial leaning, but that you of course are going to wait until you see more things before making a final decision. Truth of the matter is that 90% of all med students will change their minds at least once before the time they apply for residencies. You may find you aren't as interested in some things as you thought, may find you don't like the personalities who populate certain professions, might find you love something you never thought you would, or your life may change to make a lifestyle field more important. Your mind is likely to change. Embrace that notion.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Adcom member I talked to said he likes to see ppl who know what they are interested in, and it shows That you put thought intoit. I dont really agree with it, but I guess Imma picksomething fortheinterview

:thumbup: to the above. I told all of my interviewers who asked that if I had to pick today, I'd go with Emergency Medicine, but that I was excited to do my rotations and perhaps find a real passion I hadn't even considered. Open mindedness is key.

:thumbup: to the above. I told all of my interviewers who asked that if I had to pick today, I'd go with Emergency Medicine, but that I was excited to do my rotations and perhaps find a real passion I hadn't even considered. Open mindedness is key.
Sounds likea good and truthful way to answer the question, alot betterthan I have no idea rightnow, I likeeverything.

Dying kids is like heaven to you?

they aren't all dying- I did a lot of work with kids with bleeding disorders (von willebrands, hemophilia A), sickle cell disease, etc. And if there aren't people willing to go into the field and research a cure might never be found. I learned a big part of the oncology is quality of life and making sure both patient and family feel everything possible was done to fight this monster.

But yes the field is great and it is what I want to do with my life- I have said that since I was 13 (said dr since I was 7)... There are hard times- I did watch a doctor talk with a family about the child dying and hearing about a couple that would most likely pass over the weekend but I really want to be the type of doctor that is around and caring and treat the whole family in that respect.

Do ask yourself, "Am I willing to work hard in topic areas that are outside my area of interest?" Sometimes, students with an interest in a subspecialty say to themselves, "when am I going to need ___ ?" and blow off something that winds up being essential for the exam.

I think that it is fair to say that you have been exposed to Pediatric hem/onc and that you love it because you enjoy working with families, you like the variety, you like the opportunity to serve people who are at a difficult point in their lives, and that you enjoy the successes that are becoming more common, particularly in pediatric oncology.

It might help if you are also attracted to a career in academic medicine (patient care, research, and teaching) because almost all pediatric hem/onc is practiced in academic medical centers. If not, you might consider adult hem/onc or some other area of medicine.

It might help if you are also attracted to a career in academic medicine (patient care, research, and teaching) because almost all pediatric hem/onc is practiced in academic medical centers. If not, you might consider adult hem/onc or some other area of medicine.

Thanks Lizzy- I do want to do Academic medicine- seems like a good mix and the lab is a good place to put analytical skills into practice! I am leaving my options open but for some crazy unknown reason I have been attracted to this field since I was 13.

The survival rate for pediatric cancers is remarkably good - usually ~ 70%. The kids are sick, but helping very sick kids get better CAN be emotionally rewarding.

I think that'd be my biggest problem with the field. Some Hodgkins teenager or four year old with ALL walks in your office, you're feeling pretty good about yourself. Another kid walks in with AML or some histiocytosis, you're pulling at your collar because you know their odds just aren't kid.

I think that'd be my biggest problem with the field. Some Hodgkins teenager or four year old with ALL walks in your office, you're feeling pretty good about yourself. Another kid walks in with AML or some histiocytosis, you're pulling at your collar because you know their odds just aren't kid.

That's true. But I think there are emotionally wrenching moments in every field - like in trauma, when the shooter survives, and the victim (kindly old nun) dies. Or in OB, when the couple that's been trying for YEARS to have kids ends up having an IUFD, while the woman who's been popping out kid after kid (and isn't totally sure who the father is, and really doesn't care either way) has her 12th child. Peds onc is worse because it's a child, but I think that the rewards can (sort of) help make up for the bad parts.

As long as you know that you probably don't know, then I'd say you're good. Just don't attach reasons for wanting to be a doctor to one specialty specifically, and I think you'll be ok.

That's true. But I think there are emotionally wrenching moments in every field - like in trauma, when the shooter survives, and the victim (kindly old nun) dies. Or in OB, when the couple that's been trying for YEARS to have kids ends up having an IUFD, while the woman who's been popping out kid after kid (and isn't totally sure who the father is, and really doesn't care either way) has her 12th child. Peds onc is worse because it's a child, but I think that the rewards can (sort of) help make up for the bad parts.

Oh definitely. It's just that I'm like Han Solo: "Never tell me the odds!" I mean, I know the odds of some things in medicine, in a very general sense. Oncology in general seems to be the worst about this, quantifying survival rates for every type and subtype of cancer. Just would drive me batty.

Okay, but back on topic. Yeah, do the "I'm interested in blah blah blah" but always throw in the "But I know that my interest may change as I'm exposed to blah blah blah" disclaimer. Show only interest in one things and schools may think you idealize that one pursuit so much that when it turns out to be not everything you expect, you crash.

Also, peds onc is a very "touchy feely" "Goody-two shoes" type answer. Not saying your interest isn't genuine, but you may get grilled on the issues of children dying and such by more cynical interviewers. Just a warning.

I've worked in tow different Hem/onc clinics in two different states and two different hospitals (obviously), and I have to say that despite the gravity of the situation the kids have the most optimistic outlook! As an adult or parent or someone who is more consistent of the "what if's" you worry about them, and it can make your outlook less positive. The vast majority of children I worked with felt that hey, I'm sick, but I'll get better. Working with them adds perspective in many ways. I too have worked with SCD patients, and while their life expectancy is reduced they are by no means dying children. Many people forget about this patient population and I think it's wonderful that the OP wants to work with them and other hem/onc patients! I too have thought about this specialty, but since I'm have not decided if/when asked at an interview I will let them know that area's I am currently interested in, but that I will be sure to incorporate my experiences during med school when making my final decision. G'luck

I have a strong desire to go into peds hem/onc as well, and I wrote about that quite a bit in my PS. I don't think that hurt me at all (I think my undergrad grades did). But, at the one interview I did get, I talked about wanting to go into that while still keeping an open mind because I had practically zero experience with any other fields. Having a good idea what you want to go into can help focus you and show your drive and dedication to becoming a physician.

Just as a heads up to the OP, in both a mock interview I did (with an actual med-school interview where I worked) and my real interview, I was asked how I would deal with the emotional aspects of treating sick kids. Just something to think about...................