Aug 2, 2009
Status
If the government would instead allow individuals in one state to purchase insurance from insurance companies in another state in addition to providing a government sponsored easy entry back end for insurance companies to gain coverage/representation in every hospital in their area of concern, competition would increase, prices would fall, and consumers would be less subject to the wrath of our current government enabled insurance market oligopoly. The solution is clearly deregulation, and not regulation or its explicitly claimed request to obliterate all insurance companies - without even an option in the bill to maintain Obama's touted "private option".

When I enter into a contract with another person or company, it is the role of the government to enforce reparation on the party that does not own up to the contract, but not to write the contract itself. If an insurance company randomly drops you from your policy without any permission to do so in the contract, they deserve to be dealt with legally.

We hear so much about "consumer protection" and "consumer rights", but what about the rights of producers? After all, we are all (those who work) producers selling our services to other producers. Is it not a contradiction to destroy 1/6th of the American free enterprise system to grant an unentitled right to Americans who will not even be picking up the extra tax burden in return for their "free health care"?

It is quite ironic how Canadian leaders and leaders from around the world evade their own socialized health care system and fly to the US to receive "specialized treatment" based on the latest technological advances that were not created by our government, but by our scientists and businessmen who endow money to research these treatments and the scientists who work for them to research. One Canadian leader, faced with heart surgery, was horrified how Canadian doctors wanted to bust his sternum open to perform this surgery, so he flew to Florida and had minimally invasive surgery by an American heart surgeon who didn't have the government tell him what procedure/technology he would have to use. Apprently our own House of Representatives/Congress/President and cabinet will not be subject to the same health care treatment that the American people will be as stated in the bill. They will receive specialized treatment, and not have to wait in the same line we will. If this plan is so great, why don't they share the same plan?

In closing, if all of you pre med and medical students think that the grass is greener on the purely socialized side of medicine, I suggest you move to Canada. If you plan on being a neurosurgeon, they have no job for you, and if you plan on attracting your customers by the honest merit of your skill, you may be surprised that you won't be able to use the advanced procedures exemplified above that we take for granted but that socialized countries might not obtain for several more decades, if ever - and that we are in danger of putting a permanent government halt on science. When the government takes over industry, they also take over science. The two are not mutually exclusive, unless you want to perform minimally invasive heart surgery on yourself in your basement with your own kitchen utensils.

By the way, if immigration laws alone were enforced, over $700 billion dollars a year would be saved in health care costs and unemployment rates would fall by one point. Medicare is bankrupt, and any doctor knows that their patient-doctor relationship is sacrificed already due to government enforced treatment cost restraints.

You will hear the our democratic representation claim that not only is health care a right, but that a job is a right. This is obviously absurd and shows the subjectivist nature of these whim worshippers who refuse to read their own 2400 page bill, and instead spout off at the mouth with bromides and stories in place of any real knowledge of the facts or consequences.

By the way, under the present bill, a neurosurgeon will make the same salary as a midwife.

Last edited:

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Attending Physician
Remember that the vast majority of physicians don't make a "salary." We collect professional fees which usually these days come in the form of reimbursements. The article uses the term "salary" which denotes ignorance of the system. We can't let the terms be redefined to the point where we are losing from the outset. If we let them get away with "salary" then we are one step closer to baing punch card employees rather than professionals.

Case in point:
Choices Act of 2009 (H.R. 3200) would raise government Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement for certified nurse midwives to the same level as the reimbursement for doctors who perform the same services. Under current law, midwives only receive 65 percent of what a doctor receives for equal services
Are OB/Gyn and midwife services ever equal? The midwife can't provide the security of going to immediate section should thing get ugly. The OB can.

We run into similar issues in EM. Patients frequently complain that their bills for something simple like a sore throat that they were seen for in the ED is too high. It's much higher than it would be at a doctor's office or an urgent care. But they don't understand that it's not the same service. By coming to the ED they triaged themselves to a higher level of care. They came to the place where they could get a CT or be intubated if they needed it. So it's not the same service.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

bronx43

Word.
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

AbbyNormal

Yes. No. Maybe.
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
Are OB/Gyn and midwife services ever equal? The midwife can't provide the security of going to immediate section should thing get ugly. The OB can.
Absolutely agree. My son was in fetal distress and would have died or had brain damage if I had used a midwife.

The problem in our area is that many ob/gyns are leaving the state because of liability and jury awards that are enormous. Plus it is their choice to accept/not accept a particular insurance. When my gyn retired several years ago I had difficulty finding a gyn who would accept my medicare insurance.

Pharmavixen

foxy pharmacist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Status
Pharmacist
One Canadian leader, faced with heart surgery, was horrified how Canadian doctors wanted to bust his sternum open to perform this surgery, so he flew to Florida and had minimally invasive surgery by an American heart surgeon who didn't have the government tell him what procedure/technology he would have to use.
We had a thread on this - Danny Williams could have had his less-invasive mitral valve repair at the Ottawa Heart Centre. Canadian cardiologists have been mystified by his claims that he couldn't get this surgery in Canada. He chose to go to Florida instead - the theory up here is he preferred to recuperate out of the public eye, and in the Florida sunshine.

Pharmavixen

foxy pharmacist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Status
Pharmacist

Lokhtar

Dreaming about the lions
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2007
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
Can we discuss facts please? There are enough things not to like in this bill for everyone, those on the far left to those on the far right, but claims like that don't help. From my PoV, the bill is a start, and I hope they keep adding to it. Right now, it has issues, but it's more than anyone else has been able to do for 40 years, so I'll take it.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
Basically the article says that for a delivery the midwife would make the same as a physician. This is limited to OBs by the way. I heard something like this before about all physicians. For example if the ER doc (like me) stitches you up it would pay (reimburse) the same as a plastic surgeon, this is different than the current structure.

FWIW, I dont mind it but I do think it is somewhat ridiculous since the OB can surgically help you whereas the midwife needs to call them. Seems a bit unfair on the surface.