SBRT versus surgery for isolated lung lesion in a young oligometastatic patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kroll2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues,
I have a 49 yo patient non smoker, who was diagnosed 2 years ago with left lower lode moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma. that was oligometastatic at the time of diagnosis ( no mediastinal LN, less than 5 bony secondary lesions and the primary less than 4cm)
he received afatinib and radiation to the painful vertebral lesion at the level of T2. he was in complete remission for 2 years. until a few months ago when the primary lung lesion presented an increased SUV uptake on the followup pet-CT, as well as slow radiological progression in size. but it is still resectable according to the thoracic surgeon. he has a very good performance status. with no other suspicious lesion on Pet.
what would you suggest:
1- SBRT on the lung lesion
2- Surgery. if yes, what type of resection?

tx a lot.
P.S I would choose Surgery for these reasons: young . good PS, isolated progression of the primary

Members don't see this ad.

I think regardless of how you slice it, this guy has incurable disease so your goal is preserving quality of life for as long as possible. There is a treatment that offers a high rate of local control of progressive lesion with minimal (if any) morbidity and a near zero chance of mortality. I'd go with that modality. With immunotherapy, if possible.

Reactions: 1 users
SBRT followed by immunotherapy

Members don't see this ad :)
Either or. Being a radiation oncologist I'd lean towards SBRT, but surgery is not unreasonable. Was he on maintenance afatinib for all these 2 years?

Why are people jumping to immunotherapy? He has an EGFR mutated NSCLC, response rates for IT are worse than for non-EGFR mutated. I'd have Med-onc discuss switching TKI versus observation.

Reactions: 1 user
yes, supposedly immunotherapy has lower response rates in egfr/alk+ lung cancers (but maybe any cancer with a single dominant driver mutation). I would address surgically/or sbrt (dont think it matters) and get pathology or liquid biopsy for T790m mutation, which if positive, he could get tagrisso- (which should now supplant the other tkis in the up front setting based on the recent ESMO data 10 vs 19 months pfs)

Last edited:
There is the chance of a T790M mutation in this patient, meaning he may benefit from Osimertinib if he's positevely tested for that. This may be an argument in favor of surgery.
However you could simply also perform a biopsy of the growing lesion (for example via EBUS if possible) or do a liquid biopsy.

If you can rule out T790M mutation, then I'd do SBRT.

I never advocate lung surgery for anyone with bone mets. So, SBRT it.

Didn't see you asked what type of surgery. It would be up to the surgeon, but IMO lobectomy is overkill for a metastatic case IMO. Segmentectomy, or more likely, wedge resection would be the surgery.

Also, yes, agree with T790 evaluation. Benefit of doing surgery is no need for separate biopsy. Obviously if the liquid biopsy is positive then that's all moot.

@seper any reasoning behind that stance?

Surgery is immunosupressive, also causes chemo delays, and even with wedge periop mortality is on the order of 3%.

Didn't see you asked what type of surgery. It would be up to the surgeon, but IMO lobectomy is overkill for a metastatic case IMO. Segmentectomy, or more likely, wedge resection would be the surgery.

Also, yes, agree with T790 evaluation. Benefit of doing surgery is no need for separate biopsy. Obviously if the liquid biopsy is positive then that's all moot.

@seper any reasoning behind that stance?
Lobe is standard of care for best outcome.

Wedge =/= lobe per the randomized data. I'd consider sbrt > or = to wedge. In an M1 pt with bone mets, I'd say sbrt

Wedge =/= lobe per the randomized data. I'd consider sbrt > or = to wedge. In an M1 pt with bone mets, I'd say sbrt

In stage I NSCLC, I whole heartedly agree. Is there similar data for metastatic disease? I do consider SBRT = Wedge in this setting.

In stage I NSCLC, I whole heartedly agree. Is there similar data for metastatic disease? I do consider SBRT = Wedge in this setting.
I'm extrapolating from that. I think the same principles apply, I.e. You aren't always going to see adequate margins in some cases and at the end of the day, it still carries anesthesia/surgery risks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm extrapolating from that. I think the same principles apply, I.e. You aren't always going to see adequate margins in some cases and at the end of the day, it still carries anesthesia/surgery risks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

I believe that this is being investigated in well selected patients. The LCSG trial is a bit outdated (predates thorascopic surgery, high resolution CT, PET staging ... ). That being said stage I NSCLC is different than an oligomet which is different than a T1M1 NSCLC primary. I’d favor SBRT over wedge over lobectomy (which I’ve never seen done for an oligomet - just doesn’t make sense in a non curative setting).

I actually think a strong argument can be made that SBRT is better than a wedge and equal to lobectomy:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(15)70168-3/abstract

Extrapolation central. Oligometastatic disease is not stage I NSCLC. And I think every rad onc in America that does anything stereotactic is familiar with that controversial analysis of STARS/ROSEL. That paper and the TARGIT-A paper were oncologic soap operas of the highest magnitude.

I'm not sure that SBRT is equal to lobectomy in stage I NSCLC, despite a post-hoc analysis of 50 patients that showed a survival benefit for SBRT (lol). STABLE MATES is a trial I'm looking forward to the results to.

In someone with nonmetastatic disease, lobe is better than seg is better than wedge. In this patient, we don't really know if a wedge or sbrt would be better. If it was an easy wedge, I would probably offer it. I don't think I would offer a lobe, though.

If I read this right, this is a guy with low-volume metastatic lung cancer (but it was bony mets, granted) who has had a "locally untreated" primary for ~2 years. I suppose one could say upfront that based on data this approach (not to address the primary in a good PS pt) is relatively infaust. Something we need to do in met NSCLC: be a little more forward leaning. Be that as it may, prob there is more data (more "N") for surgery (overall) in this setting but there are so many good reports coming out on SBRT that it's probably what I would favor.

Last edited:
thought i would cite this oldie but goodie- how many prospective series (including rtog etc) do we need with 90+ % local control before saying there cant be much of a difference between xrt and surgery.

BMJ. 2003 Dec 20; 327(7429): 1459–1461.
doi: 10.1136/bmj.327.7429.1459
PMCID: PMC300808
Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials
Gordon C S Smith, professor1 and Jill P Pell, consultant2
Author information ► Copyright and License information ►

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:
Abstract
Objectives To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to gravitational challenge.

Design Systematic review of randomised controlled trials.

Data sources: Medline, Web of Science, Embase, and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and citation lists.

Study selection: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall.

Main outcome measure Death or major trauma, defined as an injury severity score > 15.

Results We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of parachute intervention.

Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.

Go to:
Introduction
The parachute is used in recreational, voluntary sector, and military settings to reduce the risk of orthopaedic, head, and soft tissue injury after gravitational challenge, typically in the context of jumping from an aircraft. The perception that parachutes are a successful intervention is based largely on anecdotal evidence. Observational data have shown that their use is associated with morbidity and mortality, due to both failure of the intervention1,2 and iatrogenic complications.3 In addition, “natural history” studies of free fall indicate that failure to take or deploy a parachute does not inevitably result in an adverse outcome.4 We therefore undertook a systematic review of randomised controlled trials of parachutes.

Go to:
Methods
Literature search
We conducted the review in accordance with the QUOROM (quality of reporting of meta-analyses) guidelines.5 We searched for randomised controlled trials of parachute use on Medline, Web of Science, Embase, the Cochrane Library, appropriate internet sites, and citation lists. Search words employed were “parachute” and “trial.” We imposed no language restriction and included any studies that entailed jumping from a height greater than 100 metres. The accepted intervention was a fabric device, secured by strings to a harness worn by the participant and released (either automatically or manually) during free fall with the purpose of limiting the rate of descent. We excluded studies that had no control group.

Definition of outcomes
The major outcomes studied were death or major trauma, defined as an injury severity score greater than 15.6

Meta-analysis
Our statistical apprach was to assess outcomes in parachute and control groups by odds ratios and quantified the precision of estimates by 95% confidence intervals. We chose the Mantel-Haenszel test to assess heterogeneity, and sensitivity and subgroup analyses and fixed effects weighted regression techniques to explore causes of heterogeneity. We selected a funnel plot to assess publication bias visually and Egger's and Begg's tests to test it quantitatively. Stata software, version 7.0, was the tool for all statistical analyses.

thought i would cite this oldie but goodie- how many prospective series (including rtog etc) do we need with 90+ % local control before saying there cant be much of a difference between xrt and surgery.

In the oligometastatic setting or curative setting for stage I NSCLC?

oligometastatic (i know most the studies were done in curative setting)

Fair enough. I agree that SBRT is likely equal in oncologic outcomes to wedge resection in the oligometastatic population.
Well if you mean "OS" as an oncologic outcome, then not doing surgery or SBRT in an oligometastatic patient and sticking to systemic treatment perhaps yields the same outcome...

Well if you mean "OS" as an oncologic outcome, then not doing surgery or SBRT in an oligometastatic patient and sticking to systemic treatment perhaps yields the same outcome...
Not true in patients with a solitary brain met.... why would it be different extra cranially?

I'm OK with significant increases in PFS, with likely (albeit unproven at this time) correlation to OS as well. Generally means patient doesn't have to undergo additional aggressive treatment (as they're not relapsing) as quickly . The MD Anderson data for aggressively treating oligometastatic disease in NSCLC showed a huge PFS and didn't show a OS benefit only because it was an interim analysis and wasn't the point of the paper. Median PFS of 4 months for maintenance vs 12 months for consolidation is no joke, IMO.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(16)30532-0/abstract

Not true in patients with a solitary brain met.... why would it be different extra cranially?
Because a solitary brain met with a diameter of 5 cm in the brain will kill you sooner or later. It's all a matter of edema.
A solitary lung met of 5 cm in the middle of the lung will not kill you, unless it starts bleeding at some point.

I was just trying to play the devil's advocate again.
I do believe in local treatment for oligometastasis. I do however would like us all to recall that we do not hard evidence yet, that treating extracranial oligometastatic disease in any condition actually adds to OS.
There are however trials running and the landscape will be clearer in the years to come.

I agree that more data is needed to determine what if any impact local therapy has on OS for patients with oligometastatic NSCLC. But just for the record, definitive local therapy, either before or after systemic therapy, is already recommended by NCCN for NSCLC with limited mets. So I don't think that anyone can argue that including local therapy in this setting is not standard of care.

I'm surprised NCCN recommends definitive local therapy for oligomets in NCSLC. It is associated with risk of mortality, without an iota of evidence for survival advantage. I had a patient who died during adrenalectomy for a solitary met.

I agree that more data is needed to determine what if any impact local therapy has on OS for patients with oligometastatic NSCLC. But just for the record, definitive local therapy, either before or after systemic therapy, is already recommended by NCCN for NSCLC with limited mets. So I don't think that anyone can argue that including local therapy in this setting is not standard of care.

Because a solitary brain met with a diameter of 5 cm in the brain will kill you sooner or later. It's all a matter of edema.
A solitary lung met of 5 cm in the middle of the lung will not kill you, unless it starts bleeding at some point.

I was just trying to play the devil's advocate again.
I do believe in local treatment for oligometastasis. I do however would like us all to recall that we do not hard evidence yet, that treating extracranial oligometastatic disease in any condition actually adds to OS.
There are however trials running and the landscape will be clearer in the years to come.

You don't believe in the MDACC trial that had to be stopped early because it was felt to be unethical to continue to randomize people to no consolidation because at the safety analysis there was such a big difference between the two arms?

You don't believe in the MDACC trial that had to be stopped early because it was felt to be unethical to continue to randomize people to no consolidation because at the safety analysis there was such a big difference between the two arms?
PFS benefit published, no OS data.
And it was a phase II trial.

"Trials which have phase numbers of 3 are at least 1.5 times more trustworthy than trials which have phase numbers of 2." - Werner Bezwoda
EDIT: btw, they did give the raw OS outcomes, and the 2y OS is ~56% in both groups by my reckoning (p=0.73)

Last edited:
I have a few niggling doubts however...
1) We have had data for years that extracranial metastectomies in lung cancer improve outcomes
2) We have had data for years that treating oligomets in brain improves outcomes in lung cancer (not a stretch therefore to analogize to oligomet sites elsewhere IMHO)
3) We have models in other tumor systems (breast, prostate, renal, sarcoma, e.g.) that local treatments improve outcomes over systemic-only approaches in the metastatic setting
So, to me, all relevant signs point to systemic treatment alone in good PS, oligomet lung CA patients being an inferior-ish approach. People will believe what they believe. And for certain there is a tendency to publish positive results versus negative results. That's valid. However, as I said, hints of benefit to local therapies have been there for years, and the data is growing. It's not Borg-level pressure yet (and there are a ton of chemotherapists still out there who will never countenance anything other than chemotherapy making a difference in this setting), but resistance here may be getting close to futile. Even expand your thinking to <gasp> SMALL cell lung cancer.

Yes, a randomized phase II though, with comparison arms. Data is, per authors, not mature to evaluate OS at this time. But do you think that such a big difference in PFS is not going to pan out into an OS benefit?

There's an awful lot of things we do in Radiation Oncology that don't have a documented OS benefit. Do you radiate patients with DCIS s/p lumpectomy?

Great example! A good proportion of DCIS patients should be observed after lumpectomy.

Yes, a randomized phase II though, with comparison arms. Data is, per authors, not mature to evaluate OS at this time. But do you think that such a big difference in PFS is not going to pan out into an OS benefit?

There's an awful lot of things we do in Radiation Oncology that don't have a documented OS benefit. Do you radiate patients with DCIS s/p lumpectomy?

I calc'd the survivals from the data given in appendix, and OS is ~56% for both arms at 2 years (The 1y was like about 80% in experiment arm and 65% in control arm). "Maturity" in terms of actuarial data is pretty subjective. Waiting for a median (ie <=50%) failure rate in a Kaplan-Meier plot is not strictly necessary for maturity. So I call a little BS on them there, and think the remarkably similar survivals was more of a reason not to report OS versus maturity concerns. (On the other hand, it was laudable they reported their raw numbers.) Sorry for my pedantry, folks.

But they are spared from a secondary malignancy and radiation-induced cardiovascular disease... Ultra-low risk DCIS trial (lumpectomy +/- XRT) is sorely needed, but it will never happen in US.

yeah who cares if they lose their breast later

I am not saying that there is no data. I am merely questioning if a PFS-benefit in a Phase II trial is enough to make it standard of care and recommend it in NCCN guidelines.
It was you who said that NCCN now suggest doing RT for oligometastatic NSCLC because of the MD Anderson trial. This is what I am questionning. Is a Phase II trial with a PFS benefit enough?

We need BIG trials, well designed with OS as an endpoint. And those trials are running for a number of indications.
STAMPEDE will probably report in 2018 what came out of the randomization in the "RT to prostate" arm for metastatic prostate patients. If that arm turns out positive (meaning superior to standard of care systemic treatment only), then we will be offering all metastatic prostate patients, who haven't have had surgery or RT to the prostate. And we will have Phase III data with superior OS an endpoint to support that recommendation.
There are tons of ways to improve PFS with radiation therapy in many instances. Do we always do it? Nope.
How about PCI for tripple negative breast cancer patients at stage III. I bet that a randomized trial would show superior PFS due to less brain mets. We already have Phase III data of better PFS with PCI in Stage III NSCLC patients. Do we do it? Nope.

I am not saying that there is no data. I am merely questioning if a PFS-benefit in a Phase II trial is enough to make it standard of care and recommend it in NCCN guidelines.
[It was you who said that NCCN now suggest doing RT for oligometastatic NSCLC because of the MD Anderson trial. This is what I am questionning. Is a Phase II trial with a PFS benefit enough?

We need BIG trials, well designed with OS as an endpoint. And those trials are running for a number of indications.
STAMPEDE will probably report in 2018 what came out of the randomization in the "RT to prostate" arm for metastatic prostate patients. If that arm turns out positive (meaning superior to standard of care systemic treatment only), then we will be offering all metastatic prostate patients, who haven't have had surgery or RT to the prostate. And we will have Phase III data with superior OS an endpoint to support that recommendation.
There are tons of ways to improve PFS with radiation therapy in many instances. Do we always do it? Nope.
How about PCI for tripple negative breast cancer patients at stage III. I bet that a randomized trial would show superior PFS due to less brain mets. We already have Phase III data of better PFS with PCI in Stage III NSCLC patients. Do we do it? Nope.

Fair enough. I don't necessarily think that it should be a recommended option in NCCN guidelines (it can be in the 'consider doing this' category), because you're right, it doesn't have 100% argument-proof big clinical study. Going back through my posts, I brought up the study, not that NCCN referenced it (which I was not aware of).

The issue with PCI is the risk of neurocognitive toxicity associated with it. So even if there is a PFS survival benefit, it's associated with toxicity. And the discussion about PCI versus early salvage like the whole Japanese study.

Everyone against the aforementioned scenario will certainly have stories about that lung SBRT that killed that one guy once, but honestly, with risk-adapted SBRT affecting dose and fractionation, are people still seeing significant toxicities with frequency? Again, I don't think it's worth doing to everybody in that situation.

But whatever, clearly I'm not going to change minds here. Agree to disagree. I'm getting straw-manned and comparing toxic vs non-toxic treatments to the same standard.