scam secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got an email for the secondary for columbia P&S. however, im kind of suspicious about it because AMCAS says they haven't even received my transcript yet. so, im wondering if this secondary is legit or if someone is trying "phish" for my credit card info and stuff like that. is it possible to get a secondary before your primary is in and verified?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds fishy to me. Kinda like how I get letters in the mail all the time about how I'm qualified for XYZ Mortgage and the like. . .total junk. Unless you got a 45 on the MCAT, I wouldn't expect anyone to come knockin on the door.

Of course, you can always call up Columbia and see what they have to say.

that is the secondary. as soon as you "submit" the schools have access to your name and contact info. so schools that do not screen can in fact give you a secondary before you are "verified". no scam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are sending out secondaries before verification, columbia doesn't prescreen. I got an email from them today as well.

Hmm, I got the link to Columbia's after I submitted primary but before it was verified (but not before I even submitted). Apparently, schools can see you basic info before you're verified and can send secondary emails if they don't pre-screen. Columbia's secondary is also up on their website so it's possible. My invite was legit (well, my computer hasn't crashed yet so I'm assuming its ok, lol)

If you have any concerns, call the school. They're used to getting phone calls from paranoid pre-meds. Trust me, I made a few of them myself. :p

When I was applying, I sometimes felt like the whole system was a bit of a scam. A lot of schools send everyone a secondary, making no cuts after the primary. They're obviously not interested in all those students, but they get everyone's $60 or $100. I'm not saying all the schools did this, but some of them do.

Lol, what's the difference? Schools and credit-card offers all want your $$! So hand it over!

Based on what others have said, I am pretty sure it is legit, but you are very smart to question it...if you call them, please report back.

Hmm interesting -- so probably not a scam! I'd still call and verify, though. . but then again I'm probably one of those "paranoid premeds".

As stated above...

Once you submit AMCAS, your basic info (but not your grades or MCAT scores) goes out to the schools you've designated. Many schools send un-screened secondaries at this point.

Nothing to freak out about.

Yeah, no worries. I got one in my email today too. :thumbup:

alright, guys. i called and they said it was legit, which i guess is possible since ive submitted my primary already, even though they didn't get my transcript yet. i think watching that CNN documentary about identity theft made me paranoid :p. thanks for your help!