SCANDAL in MARYLAND!! No More Decorative Medical Licenses?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If you were a Marylander, what would your reaction be?

• Yes! Let's work together to change things back

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Nah...What's the big deal?

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just paid $800 for my initial license in the DPRM (Democratic People's Republic of Maryland). Instead of receiving the standard-for-decades, sealed, caligraphic wall license/certificate, I received the same type of license you see in elevators certifying their safety. Really?? For all my efforts, education, time, etc. (plus the $800...), and after decades if not close to a century of decorative certificates, they send me an elevator card??
I called up the MBP and apparently, they discontinued the decorative certificate (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is issued in all other 49 states) in 2014. These are the continuing efforts to denigrate and downplay the medical profession in society.
Seriously I'm p!$$ed off about this.
I searched online and apparently, no one has said as much of a peep about this. Doctors of Maryland, we need to band together and change this BS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a joke, right? Tell me it is!
No, it's not a joke. Which part were you unsure about, the fact that Maryland made this change behind everyone's back or my outrage about it?

Reactions: 1 user
I just paid $800 for my initial license in the DPRM (Democratic People's Republic of Maryland). Instead of receiving the standard-for-decades, sealed, caligraphic wall license/certificate, I received the same type of license you see in elevators certifying their safety. Really?? For all my efforts, education, time, etc. (plus the $800...), and after decades if not close to a century of decorative certificates, they send me an elevator card??
I called up the MBP and apparently, they discontinued the decorative certificate (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is issued in all other 49 states) in 2014. These are the continuing efforts to denigrate and downplay the medical profession in society.
I searched online and apparently, no one has said as much of a peep about this. Doctors of Maryland, we need to band together and change this BS.

What are you even talking about?

Attachments

• 20171009_113624.jpg
    20171009_113624.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 223
Agreed, both Florida and PA have small, plain licenses.
Is that something which changed recently? Do doctors who were licensed before ~2010 not have diploma-style decorative wall license?

Last edited:
Is that something which changed recently? Do doctors who were licensed before ~2010 not have diploma-style decorative wall license?

Do you really need one? I mean, will it affect your practice in any way? Or are you aggressively narcissistic?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you really need one? I mean, will it affect your practice in any way? Or are you aggressively narcissistic?

Agreed. I mean with college, Med school, residency (which gave me separate certificates for residency and Chief year), board certification and once I’m done with fellowship another certificate and board certification, there’s plenty to go on the walls.

Ouch! Not narcissistic… Just a bit paranoid. I have an underlying and gnawing fear that government and insurance authorities are, purposefully or inadvertantly, working to undermine the medical profession. Reducing reimbursements and our role in medical administration are some ways. But the other way is reducing our standing within society. Think about it this way. Part of the expected decor which patients expect to see in their doctor's office are the diplomas on the wall. The standard is the doctor's college degree, medical degree, medical licensing, and boards certification. Now that the medical licensing diploma was turned into a card not much larger than a BLS/ACLS certification card, what is next, the medical diploma? Will we receive just some transcript stating that we passed medical school? Before you know it, your doctor's office will start looking like your car mechanic's office. Changes detrimental to our profession have been occurring slowly over the past few decades. We have not been putting up much of a fight, like the analogy of bringing the water in the pot of a live frog to a boil in a slow fashion in order to avoid rigor mortis.

Reactions: 2 users
Ouch! Not narcissistic… Just a bit paranoid. I have an underlying and gnawing fear that government and insurance authorities are, purposefully or inadvertantly, working to undermine the medical profession. Reducing reimbursements and our role in medical administration are some ways. But the other way is reducing our standing within society. Think about it this way. Part of the expected decor which patients expect to see in their doctor's office are the diplomas on the wall. The standard is the doctor's college degree, medical degree, medical licensing, and boards certification. Now that the medical licensing diploma was turned into a card not much larger than a BLS/ACLS certification card, what is next, the medical diploma? Will we receive just some transcript stating that we passed medical school? Before you know it, your doctor's office will start looking like your car mechanic's office. Changes detrimental to our profession have been occurring slowly over the past few decades. We have not been putting up much of a fight, like the analogy of bringing the water in the pot of a live frog to a boil in a slow fashion in order to avoid rigor mortis.

While I agree that there are some outside forces affecting physicians going forward, likely to a negative degree, the size of your state medical license isn’t one of them. And patients don’t come into your office looking for a huge license they come to see you, presumably.

While I agree that there are some outside forces affecting physicians going forward, likely to a negative degree, the size of your state medical license isn’t one of them. And patients don’t come into your office looking for a huge license they come to see you, presumably.
You're right, it's a minor and seemingly insignificant change. But that's my point - over the years, minor changes accumulate to become major changes to the point where the change has significant implications. I understand your point (and certainly my headline was a bit melodramatic) but I wouldn't be to quick to underestimate this.

You're right, it's a minor and seemingly insignificant change. But that's my point - over the years, minor changes accumulate to become major changes to the point where the change has significant implications. I understand your point (and certainly my headline was a bit melodramatic) but I wouldn't be to quick to underestimate this.

I’ll be be quick to say this is a ridiculous thing to be concerned about. Come back when you have actual “minor changes accumulat[ing] to become major changes to the point where the chang has significant impact.” Certainly those things do exist but this is not one of those things.

Last edited:
No one I know frames their license. You replace them every years and will probably hold multiple licenses in multiple states. You frame diplomas. It makes sense that states are no longer spending money on a high quality print that very few people want.

You are wrong.

Now go find something useful to get worked up about.

Reactions: 6 users

Hey, for some people size matters!

Reactions: 4 users
Illinois just gives you a color PDF to print yourself nowadays.

Michigan's license is hilariously plain. All the info was printed in the top corner and the rest of the paper was negative space.

...though if you really want wall bling, just get your MD where I went so they can give you this hideous 2ft by 3ft thing to try to fit into a frame. I have it hanging over my desk and I'm not sure that any patients even realize that it's a medical diploma.
TjefHVDiplomaJeffMedCol_V_original.png

(cc: @smq123 )

Michigan's license is hilariously plain. All the info was printed in the top corner and the rest of the paper was negative space.

...though if you really want wall bling, just get your MD where I went so they can give you this hideous 2ft by 3ft thing to try to fit into a frame. I have it hanging over my desk and I'm not sure that any patients even realize that it's a medical diploma.

I know, everyone looks confused by how massive it is.

Rolling it into a tube the diameter of a quarter then expecting you to somehow get it into a frame may have been more difficult than obtaining the diploma itself.

Reactions: 1 users

But...why? It doesn't even look good.

Rolling it into a tube the diameter of a quarter then expecting you to somehow get it into a frame may have been more difficult than obtaining the diploma itself.

:laugh::laugh:

When I finally unrolled it, I laid it out under a bunch of heavy books for 2 months before it finally looked reasonably flat.

My husband likes to joke that the huge diploma size is like a middle aged man buying a red Ferrari. "They make the diploma big to overcompensate for any....deficiencies." He also went to Penn so he used to joke that I went to that "off shore med school, across the river."

You're entirely correct, it may be symbolic, but this is the type of change that is part of the problem that is deteriorating the profession. Especially after paying $800, they can give you something nicer. It is unfortunate others on here dismiss it so easily. This is similar to those who are trying to remove so called offensive pieces of American history, many of us recognize the alternative motivation is to remove American history to shift the culture.

It actually doesn't look bad when it's properly framed. The calligraphy is pretty (even though it makes the Latin extra hard to read), and the seal on the bottom is a sky blue. In an antique-style gold frame, it actually looks pretty good. It's just ginormous.

The only thing that I really don't like about it is it's in Latin. It makes my fairly ethnic full name look especially weird in comparison.

You're entirely correct, it may be symbolic, but this is the type of change that is part of the problem that is deteriorating the profession. Especially after paying $800, they can give you something nicer. It is unfortunate others on here dismiss it so easily. This is similar to those who are trying to remove so called offensive pieces of American history, many of us recognize the alternative motivation is to remove American history to shift the culture.

It's a medical license. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that hard to get. All you need to do is to have graduated from med school (which you celebrate with a big diploma....see discussion above) and have passed Step 3 (which is so easy that I completed the test in half of the allotted time). Furthermore, it's only good for a maximum of a few years. In Florida, I have to get a new license every 2 years.

The specialty board certificate is what separates you from a midlevel. In most states, an intern is eligible for an unrestricted license, but there are many midlevels who know more than many interns.

Don't blow this out of proportion.

It's a medical license. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that hard to get. All you need to do is to have graduated from med school (which you celebrate with a big diploma....see discussion above) and have passed Step 3 (which is so easy that I completed the test in half of the allotted time). Furthermore, it's only good for a maximum of a few years. In Florida, I have to get a new license every 2 years.

The specialty board certificate is what separates you from a midlevel. In most states, an intern is eligible for an unrestricted license, but there are many midlevels who know more than many interns.

Don't blow this out of proportion.

Not blowing it out of proportion

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I just renewed one of my licenses and they flashed a notice on the screen saying they don't send out new licenses anymore, but if I want one, I can pay some amount of extra money for the privilege.

Considering I've never framed or displayed my licenses, and never been asked for them (other than when starting a job, which can be verified online for free), I shrugged and moved on with my life. License isn't worth framing, especially since you have to change it out Q2-3 years. Diplomas and BC are, at least for most docs I know.

I feel your pain. I'm looking at my PhD diploma, which I have hanging over my desk at work. It's all in block font and looks like they used Paratype or Letraset for the lettering. You'd think they could have at least used some Gothic lettering.

But it's in Latin!!!

I'd rather they save the money on fancy paper and actually process requests sooner than six months. Use the paper fund to hire an extra person.

(This isn't about Maryland specifically. Just the boards I've had to deal with).

Last edited:
I wonder if they're printed by the state prison.

Hey @OnDemond, don’t be mad but I just got licensed in a mid-Atlantic state... gaudy legal sized sheet to prove it. Guess not everyone can be so lucky!

Nah, I'm happy for you. Here in MD they were doing the same until 2014. Then *poof* they just made the change without telling no one. Now, most MD MDs (see what I did there) have nice decorative diplomas while those of us licensed after 2014 get the wallet-sized license on card paper.

Exactly one of those two will let you fill a prescription on the fly at a pharmacy. If it's in your wallet.
I've only ever filled out one physical scrip when at a pharmacy, but I've also called in plenty. None were for controlled substances. I required my license # or my physical license for none of them as well. Most of the time a name/address is sufficient.

Everything but a DEA can be looked up with a simple google search regardless. If patients knew how easy it was, they'd probably fake scrips all the time.