Scared about my application for TAMU vet med.. Class of 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarmLoving1236

Reaction score
Hi. I am currently extremely worried. I am a senior in undergrad at Sam Houston State University and I have a 3.4GPA Institutional GPA( Does A&M look at cumulative, institutional or both?) *what if it's not enough*, I currently have 90 hours and 15 of those were acquired at a community college: will that weaken my application?. My course load freshman and sophomore year were in average 16-17 hours per semester but I took some summer courses and am now graduating 6 months earlier so since that my course load has been 13-15 hours a semester, i'm not sure if that will mean anything within the application.. Also I have over 75,000 hours of animal experience(FFA,4H,Living on a farm, volunteer work ever since 2014 Freshman year of hs) I only have 725.3 Veterinary experience hours..., is that going to make my application weaker? I am worried about not getting into vet school at a&m because it's so competitive. How are the points awarded and how do the interviews go? I'm just trying to ease some of my anxiety :) thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to give you an idea of your chances without all the info. At the top of the forum, we have a "what are my chances" subforum with examples of info that will help us give you advice on your application.

For what it's worth, might want to take an hard look at 75,000 hours worth of animal experience. That comes out to over 8 years of work 24/7/365 or 36 working years (40 hours per week, 52 weeks a year). I feel you on having animals be part of your livelihood. But that 75000 might raise eyebrows.

Reactions: 1 users
Here’s a breakdown of their typical admissions formula. I’ll come back later when I can and answer a couple of your other questions

Attachments

• E34285B9-5229-4D81-B6A5-437C99660C64.png
    E34285B9-5229-4D81-B6A5-437C99660C64.png
    205 KB · Views: 141
Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to give you an idea of your chances without all the info. At the top of the forum, we have a "what are my chances" subforum with examples of info that will help us give you advice on your application.

For what it's worth, might want to take an hard look at 75,000 hours worth of animal experience. That comes out to over 8 years of work 24/7/365 or 36 working years (40 hours per week, 52 weeks a year). I feel you on having animals be part of your livelihood. But that 75000 might raise eyebrows.
Thank you!!

I'm going to echo batsenecal's comment about 75k animal experience hours. That's actually what my equine hours came out to be, and it made me pause and recalculate several times - and I'm nontraditional (in my 30's and ran a horse training facility full time for a decade before going back to school, in addition to having grown up a competitive equestrian). Definitely check that. (As an aside, that number caused the supplemental app to shut down on me, which was horrifically scary. I think they've fixed those glitches, though.) Also understand that you can only count a maximum of 200 hours (100 hours max per species, up to 2 species) for pet ownership on the main app. You can, however, expand on that in the supplemental app.

As far as GPA goes... 3.4 can be on the low side for A&M, and I knew a lot of people on the 3.3-3.5 range who were told in file review that they needed to bring that up. That said, I also have a few classmates who had GPAs in that range who had impressive clinic experience and greater recommendations. My guess is that it's a range that doesn't impress them, exactly, but doesn't discourage them if they see other attributes they like. In any case, institutional GPA isn't a thing for them; it's cumulative GPA, science GPA, and last 45 GPA. I actually did about half my credits for my bachelor's at a community college and the other half at A&M, so community college doesn't appear to be a dealbreaker.

As far as interviews go... I guess it depends on how you do under pressure? A&M uses the MMI system - there are 6 stations, and at each station you get 2 minutes to read the prompt and gather your thoughts followed by 6 minutes to answer the prompt to two "interviewers" (they actually don't say much") before moving on to the next one. I don't know that I'd count on that setup to try to wow the admissions committee - better to use your essays for that - but at least it goes fast.

Anyway... I know it's easy to sit here and type this, but the one piece of advice I'd give is to try to get yourself to a mindset where you aren't already extremely worried. If you're applying for the class of 2026, you have more than a year to go before your decisions are out. That's an incredibly long time to be extremely worried. At this point... you've done a lot of work, so focus on putting together a strong application that really shows off what makes you great. Save the extreme worry for fall, after you've submitted everything.