Scared about starting first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TacoGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking from personal experience, I have a very hard time studying at home. Between the TV, internet, phone, and everything else I can use to procrastinate (cleaning, loafing, running errands), I can't get any work done there.

Like you, in college I was a pretty big slacker. In grad school I did a little better, however--I mainly accomplished this by staying at school or at the library/lab to study. If I'm not at home to get distracted, I'm much more focused. Libraries are a lot less "comfortable" physically for me, too, so I don't fall asleep when studying. It's nice in the library, too, because you can set yourself up at a nice big space and spread your stuff all around the table and just dive in.

As for your scores being low and being worried--the med school adcom picked you for a reason, and for now you're just gonna have to trust its decision. ;) MCAT and GPA aren't perfect indicators of how people do in med school--especially ones in your position, who are looking to make drastic changes for the better in their study habits/learning styles (though MCAT does seem to correlate with board score somewhat, all other things being equal, or so I've heard).

Anyway, don't get too stressed out. Everyone's in the same boat, and you're not alone. I'm planning on finding a few decent people who don't get too wrapped up in that competition gunning garbage and just doing my very best.

Good luck to you!

TacoGirl said:
I am scared to death about starting first year this fall. I had a bad MCAT score of 25 with a GPA of 3.6. I had a science major at a public college. I am lucky to even have been accepted. I am sure I have one of the lowest MCAT scores that is accepted.
Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to cut it this year. I have always been a crammer, am slightly ADD (can't pay attention in lectures to save my life), and have never had a solid studying schedule. Somehow I made it through undergrad through studying hours before the test and never going to class. This is how I learn (or rather memorize for a short period of time and then forget) and I see that this method is not going to cut it in med school.
Anybody have advice on how to start out a stuyding schedule, how much to study, HOW to study regulary?

I'd appreciate any help. :)

Im also an incoming M1 year. My advice may not be much but I would first say get in contact with other students at your school. See how they studied.

Also, get in touch with other incoming m1 students at your school. See what they are doing.

Finally, Have fun now. Worry about studying ONCE you start your first day of school. Relax and smell the roses. Or do some Yoga. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also scared starting my first year of med school. However, looking back at it...it was one of the best experience of my life. I have been wanting to go to med school for so long and to finally have the opportunity is absolutely amazing. Sure you will have to study everyday for 4-5 hours and keep up with everything. But that's how most got into med school in the first place...HARD WORK and PURE DETERMINATION.

One advice though...Don't spread yourself too thin with extracurriculars. I got way too involved in Derm research and other clubs on campus. It definitely added a bit more stress, especially on my relationship and my school work.

Best of luck! I know you'll be fantastic!

PrincetonRocks said:
I was also scared starting my first year of med school. However, looking back at it...it was one of the best experience of my life. I have been wanting to go to med school for so long and to finally have the opportunity is absolutely amazing. Sure you will have to study everyday for 4-5 hours and keep up with everything. But that's how most got into med school in the first place...HARD WORK and PURE DETERMINATION.

One advice though...Don't spread yourself too thin with extracurriculars. I got way too involved in Derm research and other clubs on campus. It definitely added a bit more stress, especially on my relationship and my school work.

Best of luck! I know you'll be fantastic!
dude, you're such a horrible troll. at least squatnsqueeze was funny in his unabashed arrogance. you're just lame because you try to pass yourself off as some kind of overachiever who studies a lot.

yeah, i still remember you from back in the day. and i still remember how badly you got exposed for lying on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1014742

quick, click on the link before the troll deletes it forever!

basically, the main thing is that you got in. If they accepted you that means that they thought/think that you are medical school material. Your GPA is good! and ur MCATs are ok but that just means that standardized test prolly freak you out a bit. But that's ok. These two factors are not the only thing that medical schools are looking for in an applicant. I am sure you have demonstrated that you have overcame certain obstacles in life or that you have maintained that impressive GPA along with having a very active life. THe bottom line is that you got in. As far as the ADD stuff goes, during orientation I would go to the counseling office and express you concerns. I am sure they will be able to help you out. JUST REMEMBER YOU GOT IN!! AND ONLY ABOUT 10-12% OF THE APPLICANT POOL CAN SAY THAT! ;)

TacoGirl said:
Anybody have advice on how to start out a stuyding schedule, how much to study, HOW to study regulary?

I'd appreciate any help. :)

My optimal study schedule:

7 a.m. - Wake up and go to gym. Work out for an hour. Go home, eat breakfast and shower.

9 a.m. - Arrive at library. Study.

12 p.m. - Lunchtime.

12:30 p.m. - Return to library. Study until brain is mushy (usually by about 4 p.m., although right before an exam I would stay into the evening).

After studying was free time, and it generally involved a fair amount of Xbox and Natural Light. Yum! You'll notice that there is no mention of attending lecture.

Also, a word on motivation. I found staying motivated to study was pretty easy. Why? Because if you don't keep at it then you're screwed, plain and simple. Fear is a wonderful tool.

I am definitely not the sharpest person in my class, but a close friend kept telling me that I got in for a reason and it obviously had more to do with my interview than my grades and scores!
I just kept plugging along...some good grades and some really sucky ones!
I don't think there is a magic universal study schedule, you just have to find what works for you...I studied slightly differently for ALL of my exams! The only classes that I found a good rhythm is was Gross Anatomy because the test were same every time. My other classes were all over the place when it came to the material they tested us on....we literally had NO idea how indepth or superficial the info was, and 50% of the time we didn't even know the complete format until a couple of days before the exam.....so I just altered my strategy almost on a day to day basis.
this method STINKS if you are a "routine" kind of person, but it works if you can roll with the punches

Havarti666 said:
My optimal study schedule:

7 a.m. - Wake up and go to gym. Work out for an hour. Go home, eat breakfast and shower.

9 a.m. - Arrive at library. Study.

12 p.m. - Lunchtime.

12:30 p.m. - Return to library. Study until brain is mushy (usually by about 4 p.m., although right before an exam I would stay into the evening).

After studying was free time, and it generally involved a fair amount of Xbox and Natural Light. Yum! You'll notice that there is no mention of attending lecture.

Also, a word on motivation. I found staying motivated to study was pretty easy. Why? Because if you don't keep at it then you're screwed, plain and simple. Fear is a wonderful tool.

Wow, your lunchtime is 12 and 1/2 hours!? Do you drink a Diet Coke to wash it all down? :laugh:

Anyway, original poster, you have what I called a healthy fear. Like the "Big Luncher" said it is a great motivator. Your Significant other may hate it but at least you will pass classes with it.

TruTrooper said:
Wow, your lunchtime is 12 and 1/2 hours!? Do you drink a Diet Coke to wash it all down? :laugh:

Anyway, original poster, you have what I called a healthy fear. Like the "Big Luncher" said it is a great motivator. Your Significant other may hate it but at least you will pass classes with it.

Ummm, the abbreviation PM starts at 12 noon, so no, lunch was only about 30 minutes.

Edit: after some interesting research, I have learned that 12:00:00 AM and 12:00:00 PM are, themselves, meaningless. So I will hedge and say that lunch actually began at 12:00:01 PM. Satisfied?

You've received some good advice here, but I just wanted to add that I made it through first year with a lot of skipped class and cram studying and did just fine. A lot of my friends did as well. Whatever got you to this point stands a good chance of getting you through med school. Don't put too much faith into what others tell you worked for them (yes, I know this sounds hypocritical), figure out what works for you. Good luck!

Havarti666 said:
after some interesting research, I have learned that 12:00:00 AM and 12:00:00 PM are, themselves, meaningless.

How so?

I found that I have to study away from home and without internet plugged in. Otherwise I get distrated especially by AIM. I just put my headphones on and plug away. I usually go to class so my studying is usually done after class in the afternoon/evenings. I try to get a good 3-4 hours in on weekdays after class of pretty concentrated studying. On weekends I probably study 5 hours each day maybe? It varies depending on how lazy I'm feeling.... Obviously before tests that studying goes way up. I did pretty well my first year so this worked for me. I found that really really trying to focus on stuff worked the best for me. When there are people around and tv and internet and all these other distractions it really cuts down on how productive you are a lot. Also i can't stress how important it was for me to repeat repeat repeat what I had learned. Going over the lectures multiple times was key for me to really get it in my head. My goal was to be able to run through most of the main ideas in my head without looking at the material. Then I felt comfortable with it. Other people most definitely have different ways of going about their studying. This is just an example of what I thought was important.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have good lecture handouts, you really don't have to go to class.

If you're good at staying at home and memorizing, then that is what you should do, PROVIDED that you have good lecture handouts. Cuz you don't want to be skipping lecture and then staying at home reading TEXTBOOKS. that's not a good use of your time.

skipping lecture is for those who:
1) can't stay awake in lecture, no matter what.... like me.
2) those who need more sleep... like me.
3) those who have the lecture packets and syllabi and review books..... like me

OH YEAH.

get rid of the AIM and chatting crap. UNINSTALL IT

Why do you guys like to chat so much? SDN is enough as it is.

Kazema said:

This is getting rather ******ed, but recall that AM and PM stand for ante-meridiem and post-meridiem, respectively. They begin immediately after midnight and noon, respectively. Therefore the designations ante and post have no technical significance at 00:00:00 (midnight) or 12:00:00 (noon).

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htm

Havarti666 said:
This is getting rather ******ed, but recall that AM and PM stand for ante-meridiem and post-meridiem, respectively. They begin immediately after midnight and noon, respectively. Therefore the designations ante and post have no technical significance at 00:00:00 (midnight) or 12:00:00 (noon).

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htm

logo.jpg

I agree, you can call it either AM or PM, so just say noon or midnight how 'bout it?

Medikit said:

I rarely laugh out loud when visiting SDN. I did this time. Thank you, Medikit. :thumbup:

When I first started med school 3 years ago, there were 2 classmates I hung out with. One had a MCAT as low as your's is and the otherhad an MCAT score about ten points higher. The classmate with the low MCAT score ended honoring most of the exams and the classmate with the high MCAT score nearly failed most of the exams.
How you do in med school has to do with how much work you put into while you're in school, NOT before you were in school. It seems that since you're so worried about your grades already, that you'll do pretty well.

:eek:

LOL. So I started reading her posts, and I remembered reading the last 5 or so messages and being totally against them, wow, out of every troll her, you give the worst advice! I don't usually read who said what, and just read the comment, but man, every single horrible post I read last week was from you princetonrocks. I'd really like to see you banned, you are doing a disservice to SDN. However, I got a great laugh out of it though, so maybe just a temp. ban, or public humiliation, btw thanks TheFlash :p

TheFlash said:
dude, you're such a horrible troll. at least squatnsqueeze was funny in his unabashed arrogance. you're just lame because you try to pass yourself off as some kind of overachiever who studies a lot.

yeah, i still remember you from back in the day. and i still remember how badly you got exposed for lying on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1014742

quick, click on the link before the troll deletes it forever!

dhoonlee said:
lol. can you guys have an entire conversation using just images?

Probably, but I'd prefer to have one using just movie quotes and Simpsons references.