Mar 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a rising sophomore who is trying to set up her schedule for the next three years and really struggling. By far, the biggest hurdle (imo) that I have to overcome is Calc I, which might sound silly but I just finished my online CC course with a grade that is too low to transfer back to my school. After I hit 60 credits, i can no longer take any CC classes, so I blew that shot. I didn't have any prior calc experience, and underestimated just how hard an online class would be in math (essentially had to teach myself and did a horrible job at it.) Now, I can either take it at my school, which has a notoriously awful math dept, and the grade would affect my real GPA, or I can retake it next summer at a different school.

I'm looking to get into a specific rehab science program that would run the last two years of undergrad, but that means junior and senior year I am taking only health/rehab classes with no room for calc. In order to finish my premed recs as well, I had to double up in orgo and physics this year, so adding calc to that would be way too much IMO. I had a pretty successful freshman year (3.66 in the fall/3.85 in the spring, cGPA 3.75 and sGPA 3.625) but I am scared that due to my inability to space things out, I'll mess it up. I'd love to go right from undergrad into either an MD or DO school, but 4 years does not seem like enough time to get it all done.

Is it possible that I (or anyone, lol) can get it all done in time?

OP
R
Mar 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
***The reason I'm hesitant about taking it at another school would be that I am looking devote next summer to MCAT studying and getting a really good research position, also I plan on going abroad next summer for a few weeks and don't see where Calc would fit in.

leonardoson

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't have to do it all in 4 years. I'm 25 and have two years left for undergrad. Relax, enjoy your life!

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
***The reason I'm hesitant about taking it at another school would be that I am looking devote next summer to MCAT studying and getting a really good research position, also I plan on going abroad next summer for a few weeks and don't see where Calc would fit in.
If you can't squeeze in calc with research and MCAT prep something is wrong.
Might have to forgo going abroad though, sometimes we have to make sacrifices.

Jun 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
The math department at my school was also pretty terrible. Professors didn't teach, they just slapped the theorem on the board and left it at that pretty much. Maaaybe there would be one example they would lead you through. I essentially taught myself for every calculus course I took in undergrad, but I love calc and it makes sense to me from the get-go, so this probably isn't the way for you to go especially considering your first time around trying to teach yourself didn't pan out well.
All in all, if you're stressed about doing well, get a tutor. There are usually peer tutors from your school that are cheaper ($10-15/hr) or private tutors, or even Khan Academy is a good resource. Also, like everyone said - you have time. I took my last calculus requirement for med in my 4th year of undergrad. You don't have to finish all of your requirements for med in the first 2 years, unless your school/premed program specifically requires that?

Reactions: Crayola227