Scared Reapplicant with IA Fiasco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sikedoctor64

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I applied back in 2019-20 and had an unsuccessful cycle. I took a year off and am currently reapplying right now 2021-22. However in my 2020 application, I stupidly reported an IA that I never ended up officially receiving. It was a collaboration issue back in 2018 where a friend copied my answers on a take home assignment. I mistakenly assumed that my friend and I had both received the same IA and so I self-reported it on AMCAS bc I was scared by the wording of the IA section on the app. However, I never received an official notice or record or anything of an IA from my university, even after graduating 2 yrs later. As far as I’m aware, my transcript is fully clean and makes no mention of the incident.

I didn't want to report an IA this time around (bc I never received an official notice), so I marked “no” under IA this time. Unfortunately, AMCAS’s automated system caught the discrepancy and launched an investigation where they email me to send a response explaining the discrepancy over email. I’m freaking out and don’t know what to do. Do you have any advice for me? Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

I had something similar happen and was ultimately cleared because my record was clean. If your transcript and disciplinary record are spotless, and you explain the original mistake in reporting you should be ok. I was scared ****less for like a week though until I heard back.

Reactions: 1 user
I had something similar happen and was ultimately cleared because my record was clean. If your transcript and disciplinary record are spotless, and you explain the original mistake in reporting you should be ok. I was scared ****less for like a week though until I heard back.
That's great to hear! What was the process you went through to get cleared? What sort of info did they ask from you / what did you end up replying to them? Also, do they request a letter from our university registrar to confirm this? I'm worried that I won't be able to get a letter from the registrar in time

Last edited:
That's great to hear! What was the process you went through to get cleared? What sort of info did they ask from you / what did you end up replying to them? Also, do they request a letter from our university registrar to confirm this? I'm worried that I won't be able to get a letter from the registrar in time
AAMC contacted me but it was impossible to reach someone over the phone. I ended up emailing my case to somebody explaining the situation. They need your transcript and disciplinary record because that's the only proof you have that you're not lying about the situation. Your school should be able to e-mail the records to AAMC directly.