scared to fricking death....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maizevraptorm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else who has been accepted is having these feelings..but I am terrified of medical school and being a physician.

Has anyone else out there lost sleep thinking about the responsibility this means? I am sure that we were all asked about it in our interviews, but has anyone else really thought about it?

I am mostly interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the matter and what their own concerns are about medical school.

Best
maizevraptorm

Members don't see this ad.

Uhh...

Isn't that what you signed up for? Why else would you work so hard to get into medical school?

maizevraptorm said:
I don't know if anyone else who has been accepted is having these feelings..but I am terrified of medical school and being a physician.

Has anyone else out there lost sleep thinking about the responsibility this means? I am sure that we were all asked about it in our interviews, but has anyone else really thought about it?

I am mostly interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the matter and what their own concerns are about medical school.

Best
maizevraptorm

It is not at all uncommon to have anxious feelings...

I think it also is a really good idea to go and talk with a professional before starting something so serious (many levels) whether you think you need to or not...

I would suggest that...

Best of Luck and I am sure you will do great

DrDad

Members don't see this ad :)
maizevraptorm said:

Best
maizevraptorm

Hey, I think it's only normal to feel nervous about being a physician. It IS a huge responsiblity and you're definitely entering one of the most noblest professions known to mankind. no doubt about that one.

I feel an excited sort of nervousness but I'm up for the challenge. I'm up for dealing w/ bureacracy. I'm up for studying long hours...pulling my hair out..and learning to like coffee.

A physician once told me that "being a physician" isn't worth it anymore, what with HMOs on our backs , blah blah blah. As a woman, I was even told to become a dentist b/c I'd have more time to have a family. :thumbdown: Despite the long hours, despite the many yrs of learning, and despite the sacrifices...it is all worth it. I can balance it all.

Call me idealistic, but having the capability to save a life with your biomedical knowledge is amazing if not a miracle. I'm sure there are days when I'll be drained and burnt out but who doesn't have those days?

UNE2009LMD said:
Hey, I think it's only normal to feel nervous...I'm sure there are days when I'll be drained and burnt out but who doesn't have those days?
Email this to yourself, then read it a year from now to see how much you've changed. Not an insult...honestly. I can pretty much guarantee your abilities will amaze you.

maizevraptorm, I woke up in a near-panic every day for months at a time as a pre-med. I had to make an agreement with myself not to think about it until after coffee and a decent breakfast.

Once you start classes, you'll settle down and it won't bother you that much. Plus it helps to have classmates you can relate to.

:luck:
NS

maizevraptorm said:

I'm slightly worried about the divorce rate among doctors. I've heard a lot of nasty rumors that dr's have a tough time dealing with relationships because of busy schedules. I can relate seeing as how my relationship during undergrad was hindered because of tough classes and MCATs.

As far as the actual responsibility of taking care of a patient.. The doctor I shadowed said of his residents: "They're ready, and if they're not, they'll be ready when were through with them." So don't worry, you'll be trained well.

Kevbot said:
I'm slightly worried about the divorce rate among doctors. I've heard a lot of nasty rumors that dr's have a tough time dealing with relationships because of busy schedules. I can relate seeing as how my relationship during undergrad was hindered because of tough classes and MCATs.

As far as the actual responsibility of taking care of a patient.. The doctor I shadowed said of his residents: "They're ready, and if they're not, they'll be ready when were through with them." So don't worry, you'll be trained well.

I have thought about that too. I can't imagine being an unmarried doctor. But I think it would be really hard if you married the wrong person.

Are you married? Is that why you are worried?

I stand in complete awe of people who are married in medical school. I have no clue how they do it.

Thanks for the quote..that really does make a lot of sense. :)

I too am stressed, but I know it is within good reason. We are about to move to a new city (or state for many of us), meet new people that we will be with for years if not the rest of our lives, start new jobs, buy houses, and begin medical school (put that in the end because it is the least of my worries right now... one thing at a time). If you add in the enormous financial obligation we are about to take on, then it is no wonder why my hair is already falling out (gravity and genetics playing a dirty trick).

The only way I go to sleep now is to trust. I believe my path along this journey is destined to be walked in time and that I will continue along its rocky steps without fear. When all else fails... f#*k it!

- :scared:

You'll be OK.

I had all the same feelings, probably right up into 1/3 of 2nd year. You'll eventually be amazed at how far you have come, and the many "saves" you have will boost your confidence. For good or bad, a certain desensitization will also take place.

Be SURE to always ask for help when you need it. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

You will be fine...there are watermarks in your medical education. First is making it THROUGH your first year...then making it through your third year.

As I look back, I can't believe that I am nearly an attending...but it has been a long road, a road that will bring you closer to some new friends than you ever thought possible. You will gather the strength to make it week after week. And you can say you went to battle with some fantastic people. You will join a fraternity of physicians and bear the same battle scars that they wear. And you will wear those scars with pride and say "I did it, I made it through".
It will be worth it, no doubt about it.

DrB said:
start new jobs,

If you add in the enormous financial obligation we are about to take on, then it is no wonder why my hair is already falling out (gravity and genetics playing a dirty trick).

The only way I go to sleep now is to trust. I believe my path along this journey is destined to be walked in time and that I will continue along its rocky steps without fear. When all else fails... f#*k it!

- :scared:
Hey DrB!

How many people are going to start new jobs while in med school?

Mine too buddy! :cool:

That was sooo poetic! :rolleyes: :laugh:

See you in Vegas!

TUNCOM Class of 2009!!!

I'm not worried about the responsibility as much as I am worried that I am making the wrong decision. My husband says that going through med school is better than doing nothing, but I just worry that I am not committed enough to this. All of the docs that I work for keep telling me to really question whether this is what I want to do. Most of them would not do it over again if they had the chance.

marie337 said:
All of the docs that I work for keep telling me to really question whether this is what I want to do. Most of them would not do it over again if they had the chance.

Marie337,

If you are truly worried that you are making the wrong decision about going to medical school, then you truly have not taken enough time to evaluate what becoming a physician envolves.....working at McDonalds is better then doing nothing, going to medical school is a life altering series of events that requires total focus.

As for the doctors that you work with and them telling you to really question whether this is what you want to do, perhaps they see somthing in you that you haven't fully realized as of yet...do you lack the focus, drive and determination. Now don't get me wrong, I work with several physicians so I too can vouch for a couple bozo's that told me not to go into medicine "the work to payoff isn't there", "If I wouldn't have gotten accepted I would have been a biology teacher and been probably happier then I am now", "you should be an NP or CRNA, don't bother with medical school", blah blah blah....

Now as for the doc's that say they wouldn't do it over again if they had the chance probably never really had their hearts in it from the beginning. Pretty much every doctor, resident, and intern I run into is happy with their decisions to go to medical school....each will vouch for the fact that it is a long tedious road, but one that can be managed.

Spend more time with your inner circle of friends and decide if going to medical school is truly your calling....perhaps life as midlevel provider (PA, NP, CRNA, etc) would be more your speed, or perhaps being a nurse would suit you just as well....Take the time to figure out what you want before you make a decision that you will regret....

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's my husband that I am actually more worried about. I don't think that he truly understands what we are in for and he is the one saying that it is better than nothing. It's so hard for me to feel like he knows how difficult this is going to be for us when he is so nonchalent about it. I currently do all the laundry, all the cleaning, most of the cooking, shoveling, mowing the yard. He takes care of finances, that's it. So, I am very worried that I won't be able to handle it all and that he won't pick up some of the slack like he says he will. And, he is expecting me to pop out a couple of kids while I'm in school. That is unfortunately my primary reason for anxiety. We talk about it reguarly and I am trying to get him more mentally prepared for this. As far as the doctors that I work for, the majority of them are very burnt out. They spend more time tied up in documentation, legal matters, talking with accountants, and firing office managers and they seem to just be frustrated most of the time.

kota315 said:
Spend more time with your inner circle of friends and decide if going to medical school is truly your calling...

Hang on...NOBODY knows what is best for you - usually not even you. We live our lives looking forward, but understand them looking backward.

marie337, you've made it this far. If you don't have what it takes to make it all the way, you'll find out for sure by the first or second semester. You don't want to spend your life regretting a decision that was made (or at least strongly influenced) by someone else.

I'm sure you can think of several things that scare you enough to want to give up right now, but try being fearless. There's much less to regret when you're taking charge of your own life. Honestly. Been there, done that.

NS :thumbup:

NotShorty said:
If you don't have what it takes to make it all the way, you'll find out for sure by the first or second semester. You don't want to spend your life regretting a decision that was made (or at least strongly influenced) by someone else.

Whoa....lets be realistic here.....all our decisions are influenced by other individuals....in your case, your spouse is going to be a strong force in which direction you decide to go....waiting until you have started is one way to realize you don't want to be a physician, perhaps the toll is too much for your husband, or maybe you want to be a mother now and not waste time trying later....some individuals go through the whole program and decide it isn't what they want.....I personally wouldn't want to wager 50k a year on it if I wasn't 100% certain this is what I wanted to do.....

Sounds like you know the direction you want to go, however, sounds like you have to really work on the mister.....Either he really understands and has no problem picking up the 80% slack that is going to be left when you start school, or he is totally oblivious to the amount of work/time that is going to be required of you as a student.....I get the impression that things are a little skewed now as it is....perhaps an early shifting of responsibilities would help him to understand what is going to be happening when your in school.....

Good luck with you decision....

If you're worried now, wait until your first ICU rotation...that will wake you up.

I will give a perspective of someone who has been through the first two years and is now trodding through the clinical years...

First of all, you DON'T know anything...this is normal. You are not supposed to know anything, thats why you are a student. Will medical school make you smart? Probably not. More likely your own hard work will benefit you more than classes, labs and things like that.

Secondly...is it normal to be nervous? Absolutely. For many people medical school means a new city, new people, new responsibilities, new hardships. Who wouldnt be nervous with all that? Medical school changes a lot of things in your life and that can be intimidating. My girlfriend of 5 years broke up with me the day before I started my MS-I year. Pretty rough.

Finally just remember that you are not expected to know anything...even on your clinical rotations. You wont remember anything from your lectures, notes or readings. You will be pimped the easiest question and stumble over works you have pronounced a thousand times. You will be able to cite the exact mechanism of a drug yet cant remember the dosage strength. Dont worry about it, it happens to everyone.

You need to work hard and take things as they come. Medical school isnt easy but with a sensible schedule and confident attitude you will be fine.

JPHazelton said:
You need to work hard and take things as they come. Medical school isnt easy but with a sensible schedule and confident attitude you will be fine.

Sound words of encouragement...

I am beginning to be a lil scared. But I think it's just normal...It's like I've been waiting for August 1st of 2005 my entire life. And the day is getting closer and closer..and as I fill out papers and make copies of documents to get everything ready to enroll...I fill a wild mix of excitement and fear...but mostly I am just thrilled! I can legally say (almost) that I am a medical student...I just couldn't be happier. Sure I'm scared...it's a lot of work and tons of responsibility...but I have overcome a lot of obstacles to get to where I am now..why should this be any different? I'm just gonna kick some butt like I know how to...and be the best d*mn doctor I have ever met! :p

Karina

kota315 said:
Whoa....lets be realistic here.....all our decisions are influenced by other individuals...

Well, yeah. As you point out, the husband is going to be a huge influence, and he's offering his support. There's only one way to find out if he's going to help out around the house, if the two of them can have a family, and whether the OP really wants to be a doctor...and that's to continue down the road that she started!

There's nothing wrong with asking friends for advice and support, but they have nothing to gain or lose from your final decision. Seriously, just go for it. That's the only way you're going to know for sure. Speculating on what med school's going to be like can't possibly compare to experiencing it for yourself. :thumbup:

NS

It's natural to be a little apprehensive, but just try and relax. Have a few beers. You wouldn't have been accepted if you weren't qualified. You still many years of training ahead before you will have all those responsibilities. You will be thoroughly prepared. DOn't worry!

JPHazelton said:
Finally just remember that you are not expected to know anything...even on your clinical rotations. You wont remember anything from your lectures, notes or readings. You will be pimped the easiest question and stumble over works you have pronounced a thousand times. You will be able to cite the exact mechanism of a drug yet cant remember the dosage strength. Dont worry about it, it happens to everyone.

Thanks. I feel like I should put this on my wall somewhere so I remember it in a few years! That is one thing that I have been worried about. I am good at learning info when I need to, but recalling it at a future date doesn't always work out for me. I don't think I will remember the fine details of anatomy unless I have to actually put them to use!

Do what you do best, were all just a herd of window lickers peering into your life....none of us have a clue about what will work best for you, except that your the one in the drivers seat of your bus....take it where you want to go!

maizevraptorm said:

Best
maizevraptorm
medical school trains you to be a legal drug pusher. over one half a million
people died doing what there doctor said last year. If you truelly care about
saving lifes and helping people get better results than with allopathic
medicine the you really should look at this new science.
http://www.mannapages.com/foryourlife and
http://www.glycoscience.org

mod, we got us a troll here

Nice grammar.

NotShorty said:
mod, we got us a troll here

Not a troll, just an advertisement. If it continues, I will take action.

I don't know how many other people feel this way too, but this last semester of classes is the most academically challenging I've ever had. I'm already accepted at KCOM, waiting to hear back from my state school, but all I can think about is how stressed out I am over the Biochem and Histology classes I'm taking. I thought the anxiety would stop once I got accepted, but all of the sudden now I'm starting to get worried about how well I will do or if I will be able to keep up. I've never had any problems with this before, and it's a whole new kind of anxiety...scares the crap out of me.

Anyone else in the same boat?

jnpeacoc said:
I don't know how many other people feel this way too, but this last semester of classes is the most academically challenging I've ever had. I'm already accepted at KCOM, waiting to hear back from my state school, but all I can think about is how stressed out I am over the Biochem and Histology classes I'm taking. I thought the anxiety would stop once I got accepted, but all of the sudden now I'm starting to get worried about how well I will do or if I will be able to keep up. I've never had any problems with this before, and it's a whole new kind of anxiety...scares the crap out of me.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Yep, I feel the same way. I think I actually had a panic attack. I feel like I should be doing something now....like study anatomy.

Frogmed said:
Yep, I feel the same way. I think I actually had a panic attack. I feel like I should be doing something now....like study anatomy.

I totally agree. My husband has been allowing me to just relax. I graduated in December and have only been working like 8 hours a week. So, I really just feel that I am losing valuable brain cells in my time off! I can't wait to learn something again!