Scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W222

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took my first quiz today and got a 72, passing being a 70. I am scared.

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
That was your kick-in-the-pants quiz. Consider yourself warned. Seriously, don't start thinking you're not cut out for med school. Just find a different way to study next time, and see if it works better.

This is an opportunity. Now you can refine your study skills and kick ass on the next test. Don't give up so soon, let the fear motivate you.

W222 said:

Haha, my first test, passing is 65, I got 66 :p
Like AznTrojan said,a pass is a pass

Be scared. I found the first year of med school to be terrifying. If I blinked, I failed.

The most important thing to know is not to study harder, but study SMARTER. Think HIGH-YIELD. That's your mantra.

stormjen said:
The most important thing to know is not to study harder, but study SMARTER. Think HIGH-YIELD. That's your mantra.
quoting for emphasis

looks like a pass to me
:thumbup:

im an MI too. basically, im trying to pass my classes first semester. im going to pick up the pace second term though. we're in this together!!!!!

Take the advice here.. Remember, passing is passing. And utilize this to fine tune your test taking skills and studying.

Youll do okay...

I barely passed my first exam of medical school. Generally speaking, though, I've done really well. Don't let it get you down...it's a lot to get used to. Certain subjects or professors' questions, too, may not sit well with you. There's a lot of variables. Bottom line: you made the cut, so you certainly have the brains to do it. Lots of luck and blessings! :)

Dont be scared. There are lots of people in your class who are feeling the same way (and probably some who didn't pass). Chances are you will get the hang of it and do much better from now on. For my first anatomy quiz I completely neglected all the innervations and vascular supply info, which would have worked in undergrad. Didn't work so well for med school. Once I figured out the level of detail required, I did just fine.

Just wanted to say that if you still find yourself this close to passing after some more time has passed, talk to someone and get a some help earlier rather than later. They might have student tutors (we have them) or you can talk to the instructor. If you can figure out a good way to study now, it should help you in all your med school classes.

Good luck! And I agree with everyone else that it's way to early to worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study harder next time or change your study patterns. I love quizzes...they help you figure out what you are doing wrong early on before actual exams. :luck:

congrats on passing.........tomorrow I have my first block of exams (I'm an M1), and i'm trying to stay calm!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

oh well, at least I have the celebration/drowning sorrows get together at the med-school bars

I don't understand when people say " congrats you passed" or passing is good enough. I am not in medical school yet, so forgive my ignorance, but don't residency program directors look at your grades on your transcripts too? Or is it just board scores, research, LORs, ...??

Maybe you should be glad you're not at Case. The average on our first test was 87% and it wasn't an easy test. Lots of smart kids here.

Onmyway- Well, lets do a little math.... Medical schools, in general, are composed of the top 10% students. Even in a school that doesn't use a bell curve, not everyone is going to be able to maintain the same status (everyone doesn't get all A's.)

So, passing is a really amazing thing, even in med schools.

Now, back to the math. Yes, class standing is minimally important, sometimes more depending on the type of residency or the location. However, the weight of your entire two years is generally equal to the weight of your 3rd year grades. And then you factor in your board scores (which can offset your gpa during the first two years), your dean's letter (very important) and your LOR (crucial) and your PS (very important), research (always a bonus) and you realize that your overall gpa is not that big of deal.

And until you get into med school and see for yourself the incredible volume of material you have to swallow and spit back out, try not to be so judgemental.

Med school is kind of like trying to drink from a fire hydrant on full blast. Even 18 hours of undergrad is not equivilent...

W222 said:

Yes, I hear there were many people in your class who did poorly. It is nothing to worry about. Make sure you go to anatomy lab regularly outside of the scheduled lab time.

I recommend going on Friday afternoons since usually one of the professors (Shae, Schmidt, or Sanford) is in lab, and can help you with questions.

OnMyWayThere said:
I don't understand when people say " congrats you passed" or passing is good enough. I am not in medical school yet, so forgive my ignorance, but don't residency program directors look at your grades on your transcripts too? Or is it just board scores, research, LORs, ...??

roja said:
And until you get into med school and see for yourself the incredible volume of material you have to swallow and spit back out, try not to be so judgemental.

Thanks for the information, but I was not being judgemental. I said I did not understand something and asked a question about it. :rolleyes:

It wasn't a condescending comment. I felt the same way... undergrad hadn't been much of a trouble for me.. Yup, I studied, but still... And first year often initially slaps everyone at some point...

and you mock the second years that warn you about the volume of material...

Its just an experience that is difficult to comprehend... Med school is not miserable. Its great to be studying what you want to be and where you want to be, but it is soooooooooo unlike anything else ... :)

I used to tell my TPR MCAT students that complained about studying etc (because it DOES suck studying for that damn test) that imagine these 8-10 weeks, doubled and crammed into 5-6 weeks. and then you get to do it all over again with a few days break before you do it all again... and multiply that times a whole year.. thats first year....

I"m so glad I don't have to do that again... but it was great while I did it...

carrigallen said:
Yes, I hear there were many people in your class who did poorly. It is nothing to worry about. Make sure you go to anatomy lab regularly outside of the scheduled lab time.

I recommend going on Friday afternoons since usually one of the professors (Shae, Schmidt, or Sanford) is in lab, and can help you with questions.

Hey W222 looks like you ARE at my school. Welcome!

Quizes are for finding out where you are and what you need to work on. Like Carrigallen said, nothing to worry about. If you do want extra help AOA does offer free tutoring. You can find info on their site on Jeffline or you can ask in the student affairs office. I got a 75 on my first Schmidt quiz but ended up doing really well in the class overall. Hang in there!

georgebush44 said:
im an MI too. basically, im trying to pass my classes first semester. im going to pick up the pace second term though. we're in this together!!!!!

I'm assuming you mean "M1", not "myocardial infarction"...