Scary new law being considered in California:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLC

A Punk Rock Country Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bill to drive physicians out of practice in the state of California

This is frankly terrifying. It sounds like this law is designed to essentially price fix the provision of all healthcare in California; and the committee that would be tasked with setting reimbursement rates will be comprised entirely of non-physicians.

As a resident of a neighboring state, California, and Californian Ex-pats have a reputation for lacking in the sanity department, but this is just plain scary. Hopefully the proposal goes nowhere.

I’m interested in hearing other people’s opinions on the matter...

Members don't see this ad.

This would crush me. I would love to come home to CA some day but with OOS debt, state income tax, and (potentially) this...I'm not sure I could. California would be shooting itself (and its physicians) in the foot if this went through.

"If the bill’s authors were truly serious about addressing physician shortages in our state, they might have started with provisions to assist medical and osteopathic students with tuition and increase funded positions in residency and fellowship programs"

Or not having some redic ass laws that prevent IMG's who are board certified and licensed in 49 other states wait 10 years for license in their state. SMH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh. There are 49 other states you can live in.

Reactions: 2 users
California is way ahead in the race to the bottom.

No doubt there. Californians are leaving in droves and coming to my state. They say they’re cashing in on real estate price differences between the two places, but I’m concerned that enough of them coming may change the political landscape here.

Uggh, what a mess.

No doubt there. Californians are leaving in droves and coming to my state. They say they’re cashing in on real estate price differences between the two places, but I’m concerned that enough of them coming may change the political landscape here.

Uggh, what a mess.
I am from SoCal and will be moving to a Arizona for residency. During my apartment hunt, I encountered numerous California Ex-pats. The vast majority chose to leave the state due to insanity of real estate in CA. Although I'm bummed about leaving a beautiful state that I call home, I'm also glad that I will get to experience and appreciate other regions of the country, where one can raise a family in a more conservation and affordable atmosphere.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I could actually afford that ocean front property in Arizona..

If they think there is a physician shortage in California now, wait till this law passes. The only concern is if starts to spread to other states.

California needs to collapse. The sooner the better.

Reactions: 6 users
Yet another bit of info to help me convince the soon-to-be husband that moving back to my home state after residency would be the worst decision ever

Reactions: 1 user
I seriously doubt this goes through. California is aggressively progressive but not completely idiotic yet.

This has the potential to eff over all of us in every other state even if the law itself doesn't spread elsewhere. Medical compensation in the era of employed practice is a game of supply and demand, and California has a massive amount of supply. If a crapton of doctors leave California and spill over into the rest of the nation it'll worsen the job market everywhere else.

This has the potential to eff over all of us in every other state even if the law itself doesn't spread elsewhere. Medical compensation in the era of employed practice is a game of supply and demand, and California has a massive amount of supply. If a crapton of doctors leave California and spill over into the rest of the nation it'll worsen the job market everywhere else.
True but unlikely. Depends where they go and when they go. It's not that easy to just walk out and move. Most have families, kids in school, real estate to sell etc. So if it passes and you know where you are going to be, go there and get established. The real threat is when the other states see that California got away with it (because most physicians are spineless bastards that can't organize and find it easier to herd cats ) and start to implement it on their own.

Maybe I could actually afford that ocean front property in Arizona..

YoungDimwittedBarasingha-max-1mb.gif